back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Post new topic  Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 How To Start Home Recording « View previous topic :: View next topic »
Author Message
jaaroquai
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: How To Start Home Recording Reply with quote

Joined: 30 Sep 2004

Hello warga warga i-bands,

Aku nak start home recording ni tapi aku start from scratch. so need your cooperation in giving me some advice and guidelines.

At the moment, aku takleh nak rekod apa apa. Dan tak punya apa apa.
So start from zero ok.

Okey..

First - what do I need? What are the tools? Which one is the average (yg cukup utk dapat sound yg memuaskan) ?

I know for sure that I need to get software like cakewalk and etc. How do I input the sound? Cables? Soundcard? etc..

Just to be able to start up and record a reasonable good sound.

Thank you
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
okta
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Joined: 11 Apr 2004
Location: Taiping

there's a lot of topic on this already . . .please look around before u ask. . .
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jaaroquai
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 30 Sep 2004

yup memang dah banyak, tapi kebanyakan nyer teknikal stuff dan perkara yang dah terlalu dalam utk aku faham.

Sekarang ni untuk start up...apa yg perlu?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
MB
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 20 Dec 2004
Location: PJ

dude the possibilities are endless. perhaps you could be more specific to what you want to record and what do you require from your tools(what kind of editing, effects, processors, midi sequencing)?? Very Happy Question
_________________
-MB-
Back to top
jaaroquai
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 30 Sep 2004

aisehh..macam susah ye Confused . Serius no idea man. Wanted to record guitar and bass or maybe keyboard tracks. Then drum using the built-in tools.

The problem is I dont know where to start. But I know definitely that I need to get a pc first and some kind of music/home studio software. Is that sufficient enough to enable to me to start recording?

Or do I need additional tools such as the I/O device that I read in this thread. And I know that I need a good soundcard. Correct me if im wrong.

Just want to know the "standard package" to start. Thats it.

Preparation can prevent from getting/buying unnecessary stuff.. am i right? Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
omarjamaludin
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Admin
Site Admin

Joined: 18 Feb 2004
Location: Tmn Melawati

kalau setakat nak rekod gitar any sound card with a line in would do...then guitar tu just plug straight to the PC lah...kalau nak start miking guitar amps tu kena la beli mic , tube pre amp or a simple mixer ..tapi kalau nak rekod gitar je just cucuk je..preferably with a DI box or kalau ada POD lagi bagus..
_________________
my photoblog - http://sigemok.blogspot.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
pali
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 03 Jul 2004

i recommend a pre amp dude for recordings. i'm even thinking about buying a POD.

for now, my recording setup is putting a very cheap mic infront of my amplifier speaker. the mic is connected to the soundcard (Soundblaster Live).

Pasal sound editing software, ada banyak pilihan but now i use cubase. dulu guna cool edit pro and cakewalk.

itu je la kot. oh and for your pc pastikan RAM at least 384 to 512M sebab memang banyak pakai memory.
_________________
"life is what you make it"
Pali'sProject
TERUBOZU*on drums
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
jaaroquai
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 30 Sep 2004

ok geng, thanks for the advice and guidelines.

Jadi sekarang apa yg perlu:

1. PC at least 512MB RAM
2. Sound card (Soundblaster Live as recommended by Pali)
3. Sound Editing Software (cakewalk/cubase..etc)
4. Mic
5. Instruments + Amps
6. Pre-Amp

Ini sahaja?

Soalan:

Pre Amp - yg mana??

Aku difahamkan DI box utk balance kan sound yg tak balance. Aku baca dalam thread ni ada sorang ni kata tak perlu pakai. Betul ker?

POD tu apa? Apa fungsi dia?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
pali
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 03 Jul 2004

aku rasa lagi baik cari soundcard yang lagi elok. soundblaster yang aku pakai ni versi murah. cuba ko tanya ridzi pasal soundcard ni. dia lagi expert.

tak salah aku ni, POD ni pre amp la. kalau ko dah guna pre amp nak buat recording, takyah pakai mic pun boleh. ko cucuk terus je gitar ke pod. pod tu pulak cucuk terus kat soundcard. pre amp ni macam amp simulator la, boleh dapatkan sound2 yang dikehendaki macam sound amp marshall, etc. ni pun ko boleh tanya ridzi sebab dia pun guna pod ni dalam recordings dia.

pendek kata, apa2 pun ko tanyalah ridzi sebab dia paling pakar bab recording guna pc ni.
_________________
"life is what you make it"
Pali'sProject
TERUBOZU*on drums
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
deadzid
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Joined: 13 Feb 2004
Location: Shah Alam

pali wrote:
pendek kata, apa2 pun ko tanyalah ridzi sebab dia paling pakar bab recording guna pc ni.

hahah tapi masalah nya tuan Ridzi kita susah nak dihubungi buat masa ini.. sila cuba sebentar lagi..

anyway kalau ko nak budget punya setup mcm aku, well here goes..
  1. PC - Pentium II 400Mhz - 128MB SDRAM - sufficient hardisk space...
  2. Any 128-bit soundcard with line-in will do... i use Yamaha TerraSound, mcm pali punya pon ok gak sebenarnya..
  3. Sonic Foundry's Sound Forge (recording + editing) + Vegas Pro (mixing) and Guitar-Pro 4 (drum programming)
  4. musical instruments + cables of course...
  5. amplifier + mic (optional)
and there u have it.. ini la setup yg aku pakai dari tahun 1999 hingga sekarang.. ok je hahaha kalau nak pakai teknologi terkini banyak nak kena upgrade, cubase la, ram la, processor, di-box, amp simulator, etc.. hish banyak modal tuh!
_________________
> facebook
> youtube
> my-mic
> mockspecial.com
Back to top
MB
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 20 Dec 2004
Location: PJ

jaaroquai wrote:
ok geng, thanks for the advice and guidelines.
Soalan:

Pre Amp - yg mana??

Aku difahamkan DI box utk balance kan sound yg tak balance. Aku baca dalam thread ni ada sorang ni kata tak perlu pakai. Betul ker?

POD tu apa? Apa fungsi dia?

pre amp - converts a specific signal to a common line level. example: mic pre amp amplifies microphone signal. Most soundcards that are designed for recording purposes would have a built in mic pre, which normally include phantom powering for using condencer microphone.

di - basic function: convert impedance. You need one of these to hook up your guitar to a mic pre-amp. Guitar outputs hich impedance current and di boxes lowers it down to an acceptable level. At the same time di box also convert the signal into a balance signal. Some pre-amp would already have a built in di, commonly labelled as instrument input.

line 6 pod - it's a multifunctioning box which main purpose is to simulate the sound of famous guitar amps through convolution technique. It's pretty straight forward to use.... just hook up your guitar through it into your soundcard and you're pretty much set up.

hope that helps
_________________
-MB-
Back to top
afiqme
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 05 Dec 2003
Location: Kuala Lumpur

aku rase utk permulaan tak yah pakai preamp/di pun takpe... hehe!! banyak free plugin skang yg bley convert ke line level & bagi sound yg bagus.. hehe!!!

suggest:
> amplitube
> guitar rig
> revalver live
> greenmachine

sume nih ko bley dpt free kat internet... download pakai limewire ... hehe!!!

p/s: sorry kalau dah ade org post bende nih..
_________________
Entwistle custom guitar pickups - Click here!

Private guitar lesson - Batu Caves/Gombak/KL/Shah Alam:
http://afiqmemusic.blogspot.com

My other blog: Click here!
Back to top
Ridzi
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 06 Feb 2004
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

hah takyah aku nak jawab lagi dah...hehehe pandai anak2 murid aku nihhh....

For beginners aku rekemen

PC with 512 RAM atleast

Soundcard with ASIO 2.0 support i.e Audigy

Cubase SX 2.0 as your recording suite and sequencer

A vst sampler to go with Cubase i.e Battery VST to create drum tracks (dont forget you will need drum samples to load in your sampler)

VST plugins seperti AMplitube, Guitar Rig (VST preamp for guitar) takyah beli hardware. OR hardware guitar preamp seperti Behringer V-amp atau Line 6 POD

Cool Edit Pro as your wave editor (aku pung jarang buat wave manipulation but it there if i need it)

MIDI keyboard (kalau nak pakai keyboard sounds) kena ade keyboard VST pulak kalau nak pakai ni

and lots and lots of patience Wink

/ridzi
Back to top
IZZI
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 11 Dec 2004
Location: Melbourne, Australia

CLICK HERE FOR ALL INFORMATION THAT YOU NEED
_________________
Gelanggang guitar : http://guitarden.starahead.com
Back to top
GryMlock
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 24 Nov 2003
Location: Agombak Ago go!

Sweet!

tertinggal 1 cable... hook up to a special device called "RIDZI". USB supported Very Happy
[ Kluk Kluk Adventure ] | [ Call the Paramedics ] | [ Dot ] | [ AJEEPEK ]
Back to top
Display posts from previous:
Post new topic  Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next Page 1 of 6

Jump to:

You cannot vote in polls in this forum

DAJ Glass template by Dustin Baccetti
EQ graphic based off of a design from www.freeclipart.nu