back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

OLD SKOOL or NU_METAL? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
thirdmantra
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: OLD SKOOL or NU_METAL? Reply with quote

hi guys, newbie here. an interestin site for msia bands to discuss n make frens...ahh..finalli, can find ppl who are sama kaki. I'm a chinese myself, n all my frens either listen to R&B or canto pop! yea, that's da culture in msia. and the RISING of NU-Metals....

I'm a old timer...n nowadays i dun listen to new bands, coz they sound the same. All thnx to bands like LP,Simple Plan and all dos "mix" genre bands. N Drop-D all the way. As a guitarist grew up with old skool rock,grunge,etc...bands nowadays is not as SKILLFUL as the "masters". if u wan to be the best, u got to learn from BEST

just an open discussion wit u guys, wat do u think? Razz
cool
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

old-skool!!!
Jailhouserock
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go for the old-skool. But I must admit that I also like some catchy tunes of the nu-skool stuff. Wink
totziens
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I consider myself as an old timer too since everyone here calls me "pakcik" Sad

For me old school..new school...no school....I pun sapu.....I don't really care as long as I personally like the songs of the bands. I rarely check out new bands lately too unless I occasionally come across some good ones. Rarely check out metal related bands too unless my nephew introduces them to me. Smile
Erylasia
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Oldschool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Scumgrief
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goddamn...is it so hard to spell properly...
thirdmantra
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow...dats cool to know there's so many ppl same wave line wit gua. yea, i do admit sum new bands have catchy tunes,oh well..dats the trend nowadays. but dis songs onli have "temporary" feel but old skool songs...it's everlast!the more u listen u listen to it, the more u FEEL the song..ahha...that's how i feel bout them.
totziens
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thirdmantra wrote:
wow...dats cool to know there's so many ppl same wave line wit gua. yea, i do admit sum new bands have catchy tunes,oh well..dats the trend nowadays. but dis songs onli have "temporary" feel but old skool songs...it's everlast!the more u listen u listen to it, the more u FEEL the song..ahha...that's how i feel bout them.

That's true.....
silbi
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey bro...velkam! i'm new here too...it's cool to find more chinese rockers here...

i'm of course old skool..but once a while i do dig new bands which rides on the old skool tunes...maybe coz i'm into guitars, so all these BS nu-metal stuff with no guitar solos at all are really something which i could never embrace for a long time...

used to like LP for a while coz of their catchy tunes...but it lasted only for a while...a i doubt i wud give a f*k about them 2 years from now...haha...and i think they know that they wont last long too...so that's why Shinoda and Chester have their own side projects now. HEck, Chester ever did a duet with Motley - and Motley is ol skool (albeit a bit in the glam side lah)

same goes to all these Good Charlottelah, Simple Plan lah...WTF lah these bands?? and yet they have fans and dare to have tatoos and wear bits of 'dead corpse' paint stuff! Yuck!! It's like freakin Take That with brutal tatoos man!

But i still salute them coz they know how to make lotsa money from their lack of creativity and talent...hehe. So i'm sure they'd be around for another year or two before ppl wud move one to other new stuff, or when ppl go back to some more solid ol skool stuff.

My newfound sensation now is Evergrey...they're quite new, not that popular (late 90s band i presume) but they play prog-metal old skool stuff and they're masters of their instruments...Tabek siot!!

So i guess 5 years from now, i'd still be in awe of their skills...coz one has to hone their skills for years, and these skills will remain at ppl hearts for years as well...Jumping boy bands with no music skills, ppl can easily forget in a few months time

and dont let me start on my bitchin towards all these new 'emo' stuff...i think accapella RnB singer can do better emo songs that those who call themselvs emo...gosh, i'm really emo here.

eh...jsut realsied that i'm too old to bitch or have these teen angst stuff...so i wanna keep quiet now.

Let's make rock music, not war! hehe...oh...better...just ignore me...

haha...
totziens
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI...there're quite a number of Chinese rockers here in i-bands....

Comparing to the 90s....I would really say Chinese were extremely rare during those days. It's a different story now.

I used to hang out at a gig with only 2-3 Chinese...the rest were Malays. Seemed scary to certain people but nobody harmed us in any way because of the skin colour - although the Malaysian "Neo-Nazis" were very nasty during those days. Smile
Jeff
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

yea, the guitarist in my old band loved to see chinese ppl going to gigs, and smoking, and doing all the crazy stuff then...he said , and i quote "its good to see other ppl from other race that are jsut as self-destructive as us"..lol. Uncle siang's rite, pretty rare to see chinese rockers then during the early 90s.
okta
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

aku pernah gak pi gig metal...kat taiping

sorang dua cine...

lain semua with makeup..rambut panjang...aerosol spray with a lighter...capes..masks...(u get the point ..lol).. didn't manage to make out wat race are they...heh..

i just stand in front of the stage and enjoy the bands....
i think sil khanaz was playing that night....
thirdmantra
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yo silbi...WOW...dats was a vvery DETAIL comment u got there..is good to hear old school kaki.

to share my experience, i went to rock the world 3(i think) near klcc wan. eventually i went wit my bassisit ( chinese indon ). once we enter the gate...GULP...can see onli both of us are chinese...actuali, feel sked alsolar, if kena belasah, mati lo...ahahahha...but they accept us like one of them, we headbanging,push each other, jump around in the moshpit, n i sprained my ankle from jumpin n over excited..ahahah..FUN!

yeahlar, underground music is dominated by malays, n i respect them...thier PASSION for MUSIC! i salut u bradas....honestly, we chinese got a lot of diversion, n a lot chinese rockers i knew, either now they swift to canto pop S.H.E,JAcky cheung shit...or just do sumthing else. thier hearts is not so devotedlar...sori yea...coz i have bad experience..hope u guys not offended.

i need some hlp here guys....dat day i listen to rock.fm n i heard one of dream theater song, damn long n gud....is called "eternal sumthing" or "sumthing sacrifice" or issit "eternal sacrifice"...can u guys tell me the exact song title?

i'm into Megadeth, Metalica, Led Zep, all the gRunge bands,etc...
huzai
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angsakawan
Angsakawan

dua2!! janji best haw haw haw
silbi
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thirdmantra wrote:
yo silbi...WOW...dats was a vvery DETAIL comment u got there..is good to hear old school kaki.

to share my experience, i went to rock the world 3(i think) near klcc wan. eventually i went wit my bassisit ( chinese indon ). once we enter the gate...GULP...can see onli both of us are chinese...actuali, feel sked alsolar, if kena belasah, mati lo...ahahahha...but they accept us like one of them, we headbanging,push each other, jump around in the moshpit, n i sprained my ankle from jumpin n over excited..ahahah..FUN!

yeahlar, underground music is dominated by malays, n i respect them...thier PASSION for MUSIC! i salut u bradas....honestly, we chinese got a lot of diversion, n a lot chinese rockers i knew, either now they swift to canto pop S.H.E,JAcky cheung shit...or just do sumthing else. thier hearts is not so devotedlar...sori yea...coz i have bad experience..hope u guys not offended.

i need some hlp here guys....dat day i listen to rock.fm n i heard one of dream theater song, damn long n gud....is called "eternal sumthing" or "sumthing sacrifice" or issit "eternal sacrifice"...can u guys tell me the exact song title?

i'm into Megadeth, Metalica, Led Zep, all the gRunge bands,etc...

bro...

chinese or malay no problem lah...as long as you have some genuine sense of musical taste...

i was in the ramones concert in london in 96. they were only 3 of us malay guys there...the rest were mat salleh, and that place was one ghette - Brixton Academy - but colour of the skin was nothing to them, coz in this world, all ramones followers are brothers in arms! haha...

eh...canto rock oklah. better than all these emo or good charlotte sh*t...at least canto rock plays good guitars!

and dont be surprised, i actually dig jackie cheung a bit...love one song...dunno the title coz it's in cantonese but i can hum it welll..haha.. I revkon he is one of the better singer-actor in HK. the rest cant sing to safe their lives man! haha...

and i got a few cds of Faye Wong...this dudette has great song and music man!

that Nihcolas Tse also look a bit like rock star with hid guitar...i reckon he's a good guitar player too...so with that, he oklah i think.

hmm..probably i need a chinese name...heheh

Jump to: