back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Blackmore « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
zubira
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Blackmore Reply with quote

Most guitarists in the world mentioned Ritchie Blackmore as one of their major influences but how come nobody really play like him ?

We have so many people who can play like Satriani, Vai, Van Halen etc. Even kt malaysia ni pun ramai termasuk lah our Doc Bode, boleh main mcm hero2 kt atas tu dgn senang je ... kenapa tak ada yg buat mcm blackmore ?
Bode
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all...Zubira...how are you my man? Long time no see!!! Dude...I cant play like Vai/Satriani/VH or anybody at all laa...I can only play my crap style! Laughing

Anyway...on the topic...I think Ritchie Blackmore...like a few other guitarists(eg. Jeff Beck, Allan Holdswoth, Brian May to mention a few in these category) are not as 'glamorous' and well known to everybody like Vai and Satriani, but somehow these guitarists have a certain touch and strong identity on the instrument...it's like a fingerprint, which is impossible to emulate. It's not about the speed, or what are the notes to play and technique, but the individual identity of the guitarist himself. This is the aspect of music where you cant measure and pinpoint clearly what it is exactly which make them shine...playing the solo note for note using the same equipment wont even make anybody sound like Blackmore...or any other guitarist for that matter.
Personally...John Petrucci is a helluva guitarist technically, but I may confuse him with another technical guitarist as well...but there is no way I can confuse Brian May with anybody else...although Brian is not considered a 'speed' or technical guy...no one can sound like him.
Ritchie Blackmore and Brian May were amongst my first guitar heroes which made me pick up the guitar...and during that period, I was like a Blackmore clone...and after going through a few phases which is natural for any musician, I finally decided to form my own style..and hope that it doesnt sound too much like anybody! Laughing
I remember when I was in my Eddie Van Halen phase...I played a Van Halen solo through his signature guitar and his signature amp...and found out that I've never sounded more like 'me' before! Laughing
I once listened to Yngwie Malmsteen's(whom I'm also a big fan of) cover of 'Burn'...definitely more notes and faster and more technical...but I somehow personally prefer Blackmore's version anytime(be it the many live or the studio version). No rights or wrong...just a matter of taste Smile
kurt_maisu
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

be urself is cool..............
danelectro fab tone
behringer gd121 (mesa mode )
behringer vibrato
ibanez tonelok phaser
line 6 dl4
kaoss pad 2
facebook :- maisuismaisu
chech our myspace site :- myspace.com/bunyibising
calibre2001
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to add to this discussion. In all my years of playing, I often observed that feel-based, bluesy players usually have a trademark sound, playing that is distinguishable from the rest. And in the case of highly skilled ,technocratic speed demon players, their's is rather generic. Ditto on the remarks on Brian May. I guess that old-style of playing allows more room for indiviudal voicing whilst playing given its 'less is more' or 'moderate' nature. Its like a blind people; they can hear better than most of us. No pun or whatsoever intended, just an analogy.
calibre2001
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yngwie is exceptional IMO. Though he is a shredder caapble of infinite notes in a tick of a clock, much mojo still resides in his blues rock. The reason? He grew up on the Bluesbreaker album and Blackmore initially.
silbi
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dig Blackmore''s Night, Rithcie's acoustic side project...nice folky acoustic groove...feels like you're in Nottingham with Robin Hood and his merry men...
Raggy
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhhh....ol' Ritchie still evokes many a discussion even amongst those who would proclaim him not the best.

I've always been fascinated by Blackmore's guitaring yet there are so many other technically in the same league or even better yet none of them holds a candle to him in my opinion. Why? Because Ritchie not only has extremely good technique, but he also has a tendency to let his feel over-ride any technique, and so you will see him play some lick "incorrectly" technique-wise, but he is trying to get some some special expression........those famous scenes where he stops playing in disgust at the band or himself are all a result of his trying to achieve some expression and somehow not getting it. Guys like Malmsteen always concentrate on showcasing their technique, but Ritchie will slow down in the middle of the fastest sole and just play some "silly" thing because it gives a message. And he's very difficult to get along with because he's always so intense about the music.

Deep Purple without Blackmore is just just not Purple Sad All those great guitar licks, after he left not one single memorable new guitar lick in any Deep Purple song!

and while I'm knocking DP, I might as well as say I HATE Gillian's singing. Nobody sings like Coverdale!

oh dear, my age is showing Sad
Rainbow
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, can someone tell me a bit about Blackmore pls ?? i mean a little bit of his background and what does he plays. i thought he was a blues guy.
Rainbow
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw, Brian May is a "nice" guitar player, maybe not that skillfull.
zubira
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adui penatnye aku dok reply tapi asik tak lepas je...

ok...thanks guys especially to Dr Bode and Raggy ...that was very very enlightening..i love blackmore but dunno how to describe his playing...

Dr Bode, i'm fine thank u...bz sikit je le the last few months....

Rainbow, maybe we can wait for the Doc and Raggy to tell us more about blackmore..
cool
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skill dan teknik permainan boleh ditiru tapi 'feel' tu yg payah.
permainan Roy Buchanan pun payah nak tiru sbb dia main dgn mengeluarkan apa yg ada dlm perasaan dia,tak byk teknik..
mcm Blackmore.
zubira
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooo....ok la mcm tu...tau sikit theory and ada sikit skills...and transfer all yr emotions to yr fingers on the guitar and let it be heard..coolll mr cool..tq
GryMlock
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle zubira, kalau uncle taip pepanjang. seblom click submit button tuh.. just select all your text and copy dulu. so incase kalau tak lepas.. uncle bleh just paste balik saja.

hehe
zubira
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahhaaaaha..ok la anakanda ajeepek..timo kaseh atas nasihat tu..
zubira
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silbi, ko ada latest BN's cd? best tak?

Jump to: