back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Met some i-banders this weekend « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Raggy
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Met some i-banders this weekend Reply with quote

Had a very interesting Friday night yesterday....I had to meet 2 i-band members who were buying my PODxt and Marshall JTM30.

Really nice boys. Makes me feel like a very old man. I-bander who took my Marshall was in such a hurry he did not even test the amp! Just managed to give him some quick tips on using an all-tube amp..hey dude I hope the amp works out well for you and you have many good years of enjoyment with it!

Mamat yg ambil PODxt pulak....took me to his workplace studio.....they produce jingles there and got all sorts of equipment.....of course it would have been better if he had driven his car with the lights on at night Smile Smile but we managed to hang out a bit thru the night...

I was really impressed with this dude's playing, because he has a very professional smooth and soft technique......again making me feel like an old clumsy fellow, cos I could never learn how to play with this kind of speed and technique and I'm already close to retirement while he's just at the beginning of his musical journey. You'll go far, dude! If all of you i-banders are like that then I better hang up my guitar......

After testing out the PODxt we headed off to a hotel nearby where my ex-ex-band was playing, and here we were joined by my guitar si-fu WHOM I HAD NOT SEEN IN ~18 YEARS, AND WHOM I GOT IN TOUCH THANK TO THIS I-BANDS FORUM!!!!!!!

My guitar master, taught me how to play....apparently checks out this forum once in a while, he saw something I posted mentioning Kulim, he suspcted it was me..and sent me a message....so we finally are in contact again . THANKS I-BAND FORUM !!!

The 3 of us were chatting and geting to know-re-know each other, also met the band members playing there.

And of course, we had a mini-jam session with the band Smile Smile

By the time the pub closed, we were joined by a REAL OLD-TIMER, who manages bands nowadays but in his time he played keyboards for some well-known groups in Malaysia........so we spent another few hours just lepak-ing and continued wih teh tarik and roti canai at a mamak shop.... Real Old Timer had all sorts of tales including performing for soldiers in Vietnam during the war, my si-fu was recollecting stories too of playing in Korea...I suppose the young i-band dude must have thought we were all a bunch of old fools.....

One thing that really strikes me, is that the younger musicians have so much better playing technique....you do things in 2-3 years of playing that we (or at lest I) take 20 years to learn. Perhaps it's the milk you drink, or perhaps it's the availability of more instructional material so you start off correctly, but whatever it is, it's good to see so many good young musicans around.

Only pity is that the kind of music that we're exposed to is getting incresingly limited...more emphasis on speed technique an less on chords, melody and "feel". But perhaps it's just changing times.

Anyway, I had a good night.

Raggy
silbi
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a very inspiring story! jejak kasih siot...

music brings people together, indeed...

i wonder who these otais otais that you mentioned are?? one day you all should just reunite and throw out a gig or something for all us noobs here (i'm only 30+, muda lagi kot...hehe)...
omarjamaludin
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Admin
Site Admin

interesting and very inspiring also ... i've met lotsa talented and nice ppl from ibands (Except for teoh who has this penchant of calling me and adam 'fag' from time to time ) *cough*closet case*cough* haha relek okta...but life is definitely better w ibands around with all these like minded ppl exchanging tips and ideas relating to music...

tak sabar pulak nak buat the next TT (teh tarik) gathering camgini..

any1? silbi jom meet up...aku try kumpul kan adam , teoh ridzi ajeep..n sapa2 lagi ler...maybe in the coming weeks or something..
adam
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

haha yea..
http://www.myspace.com/flirtingwithsleep
HuntressM00n
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

I was there.. u din see me..

aku antu
Raggy
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

omarjamaludin wrote:
(Except for teoh........)

any1? silbi jom meet up...aku try kumpul kan adam , teoh ridzi ajeep..n sapa2 lagi ler...maybe in the coming weeks or something..

HAHAHAHAHHAHA yes okta was the "young fellow" in our group.

meeting up once in a while is good, only thing is need to also maintain/respect personal privacy so cannot disclose personal info in private forum. Other than that, meeting up is good cos it allows sharing of ideas.

Of course, I cannot see how any meeting of musicians can be considered valid if it doesn't include some kind of jam session..... you guys should consider attracting the working musicians into this forum, you can influence them to write/play original stuff instead of the stoopid hotelCaliforniaHatMyselfForLubbingYew stuff, and they can expose u to real-performing issues,and of course anytime you want to jam you just go wherever they are playing and you jam onstage, getting valuable performing experience. Everyone can learn from everyone.
omarjamaludin
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Admin
Site Admin

Raggy wrote:
omarjamaludin wrote:
(Except for teoh........)

HAHAHAHAHHAHA yes okta was the "young fellow" in our group.

meeting up once in a while is good, only thing is need to also maintain/respect personal privacy so cannot disclose personal info in private forum. Other than that, meeting up is good cos it allows sharing of ideas.

Of course, I cannot see how any meeting of musicians can be considered valid if it doesn't include some kind of jam session..... you guys should consider attracting the working musicians into this forum, you can influence them to write/play original stuff instead of the stoopid hotelCaliforniaHatMyselfForLubbingYew stuff, and they can expose u to real-performing issues,and of course anytime you want to jam you just go wherever they are playing and you jam onstage, getting valuable performing experience. Everyone can learn from everyone.

hehe the last time me okta adam ridzi ajeep met up and jam i even took photos and post here on i-bands ..cek dis out

http://www.i-bands.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2788&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

so much for privacy hehe.. anyhow i do agree bout the working musician bit..most of us are just indie musicians (some perform regularly, some do not) and also bedroom musicians (yours truly) so i guess we need to do more to get some of this experienced folks in this forum..we already have ppl like RS bode you yourself raggy who can guide us bout these things i think..

in the mean time i do see established bar/club bands upload their songs here but rarely do they actually go into the forum to hang out and talk to the kids here...hopefully one day we can reel 'em in the forum for good he he.. promotion promotion
zubira
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

omarjamaludin wrote:
interesting and very inspiring also ... i've met lotsa talented and nice ppl from ibands (Except for teoh who has this penchant of calling me and adam 'fag' from time to time ) *cough*closet case*cough* haha relek okta...but life is definitely better w ibands around with all these like minded ppl exchanging tips and ideas relating to music...

weii...this weekend boleh ka? aku balik kl...boleh jam skali..
ajeep & sam: crawl this week? saturday nite?
omarjamaludin
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Admin
Site Admin

hiyearghh kau mai this weekend jom jom.. calling2 ahh u got my number bro.. rokes out
zubira
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

omarjamaludin wrote:
hiyearghh kau mai this weekend jom jom.. calling2 ahh u got my number bro.. rokes out

wokeh...nanti aku calling2 bila sampai kl..

Jump to: