back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

JAZZZ....hmm...wer to start?? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Bode
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gapster wrote:
^ haha...i downloaded until 20% ..then suddenly no seed already..damn suck sial! ..

well its ok now i am going straight to the bomb..i got some emily rember ,john scofield , scott henderson ,and don mock

any advice bode?

Aiyah...no luck la...but nevermind...there are plenty great stuff out there which are essential listening too.

I dont have any useful advice went it comes to playing jazz, because I'm not a jazz musician...the most I can play is just wing something jazzy and hope people believe that it's fusion Laughing

I just listen to the music and when it comes to playing it, just play whatever you feel and hope for the best Smile After all, I'm just a simple rock guitarist Smile

Great tips and great thread here btw...lotsa cool stuff to learn...well done everybody!
calibre2001
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quote from Paul Gilbert on learning music theory and reading standard notation. Quite well put if you ask me.

“Before you go to school you can talk, you learn from imitating your parents, from watching TV and from example. By the time you are three, you’ve learned the basics of speech and can communicate pretty well – without opening a book or learning to read. Then you can learn grammar and fine-tune what you’ve learned with a specific set of rules’ you learn spelling, how to write, how to read, and so on. Applied to music, the order in which you learn is very important. The ear comes first and then, after a number of years, you can start labeling the things you’ve learnt-like the series of notes you’ve been playing is called a major scale. Otherwise you’re labeling something you don’t know how to use yet, and that’s more confusing than anything.”
fReqZz
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey.. i like that!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jazz... Try listening to Pat Metheney, he has good arrangements.

Not really much comment on jazz, coz I'm still studying both contemporary and traditional harmony. It's a pain in the head for me sometimes when it comes to arranging jazz songs, but I still like jazz. Hang out at Bangkok Jazz and listen to the bands doing the bossa, swing etc. while scatting out their voices.

Jazz is a nice music to chill, and sometimes quite technical. But most of the time, AWESOME!!!
SunOfFrostLight
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah as for jazz music, the easy way to improvise your solos is by knowing your broken chords or arpeggios, and you can get better melodies by improvising from there instead of following scales.

Another way of improvisation, look at the chord changes. When the song is modulating ie. CMaj7 then it's better to use the CMaj voicings. As the chords modulates, figure out a way to connect voicings from current chord to the coming modulating chord.

The best way to achive success is through experimentation and practice.
silbi
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SunOfFrostLight wrote:

Not really much comment on jazz, coz I'm still studying both contemporary and traditional harmony. It's a pain in the head for me sometimes when it comes to arranging jazz songs, but I still like jazz. Hang out at Bangkok Jazz and listen to the bands doing the bossa, swing etc. while scatting out their voices.

Jazz is a nice music to chill, and sometimes quite technical. But most of the time, AWESOME!!!

bro..where's this Bangkok Jazz? might wanna check it out if it is within this cosmic reach...

and most importantly...got nice chicks there huh? heheh....
SunOfFrostLight
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silbi wrote:
SunOfFrostLight wrote:

bro..where's this Bangkok Jazz? might wanna check it out if it is within this cosmic reach...

and most importantly...got nice chicks there huh? heheh....

Bangkok Jazz is just at Chulan Square. If you're familiar with KL, do you know the road from Menara Standard Chartered at Bukit Bintang (the one with the big 7-Eleven store) at the 4 way junction? Use the way straight going towards the curve entering behind the JW Marriot hotel, but don't enter the curve yet when you see it. Go straight, and just nearby that curve you'll see some shops and restaurants on your left. That's Chulan Square, and Bangkok Jazz is just there.

Sorry though, Bangkok Jazz isn't like those nightclubs you enter with R&B songs playing and girls showing off their boobs and stuff. It's just a place where musicians, old folks and music students hangout to chill. And every Thursday nights is a jam session night where bands could come and play for free. But it's a nice place to hang out for a date though. Very Happy
astrov
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aku penah tanya orang camna nak main jazz...

dia cakap, tibai je.

dia suruh aku tibai gitar ka apa? sampai harini aku dok tibai, tak jadi apa pon
okta
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

tibai lagi...sure bole punye...

kurt cobain main jazz kan?Smile
astrov
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okta wrote:
tibai lagi...sure bole punye...

kurt cobain main jazz kan?Smile

wui,

okta oghang tepeng...
hah, sekampung le ni....
SunOfFrostLight
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPAMMERS... Don't you have better ideas to post?
Ridzi
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SunOfFrostLight,

While we appreciate your technical and theoretical prowess in music, I feel that sometimes your posts can be a bit abrasive.

I could not give two shits about how good you are at playing guitar/music threory, but your attitude is somehow implying that you are better than everyone else.

Be very careful on that high pedestal that you perch on, because the fall can be very painful.

Although I do admit there are a number of post-whores here, but as long as they respect each-other...thats cool with me. Besides they are just doing it out of humour and good faith.

Nobody is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to come to this forum. If you dont like it here, you can piss-off for all I care.

Besides, if you want to talk experience here, you better be careful. we have many people here with plenty of experience, Bode, Synthdude and Raggy just to name a few.

Try to accept and learn from other peoples opinions. there is no use being confrontational about an art form as there is no right way to do it. some prefer one way, some prefer it the other way.

Opinions are like arseholes - everyone's got one.

/ridzi
rg_x2n
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ridzi wrote:
SunOfFrostLight,

While we appreciate your technical and theoretical prowess in music, I feel that sometimes your posts can be a bit abrasive.

I could not give two shits about how good you are at playing guitar/music threory, but your attitude is somehow implying that you are better than everyone else.

Be very careful on that high pedestal that you perch on, because the fall can be very painful.

Although I do admit there are a number of post-whores here, but as long as they respect each-other...thats cool with me. Besides they are just doing it out of humour and good faith.

Nobody is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to come to this forum. If you dont like it here, you can piss-off for all I care.

Besides, if you want to talk experience here, you better be careful. we have many people here with plenty of experience, Bode, Synthdude and Raggy just to name a few.

Try to accept and learn from other peoples opinions. there is no use being confrontational about an art form as there is no right way to do it. some prefer one way, some prefer it the other way.

/ridzi

i totally agree with ridzi.

lagipun, ko baru jer masuk ICOm kan SunOfFrostLight? that doesnt mean that you know everything dude... bebudak kat sini maybe some of em xder formal education dalam music, but they are good. come on la, ko pun dlu mcm kiteorg gak kan?

one thing to remember --> relax Smile
xnoybis
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ridzi wrote:

and look what i've learned today!!!! you've helped me enriching my swearing vocab... Smile

but putting aside those lame joke, i do somehow agreed with both Ridzi and SunOfFrostLight.

a forum was meant for people to share their experience and tips about a particular issues the thread was intended to cater in the first place. that's the problem that we have through written communication. one would be offended for a certain statement that was never meant to be offensive or in bragging nature by the author since the absence of nuances/tone/fine distinction in written communication as to comparable to verbal comm.

i don't really mind if once in a while people was joking around in a certain thread whilst being in all-serious and too focus thread will make it boring. very much like a text book.

but i do appreciate if all forumers use the PM features for any off-topic post. it's what the thing is for, anyway. and i must put it on record that i never forcing anybody to follow whatever things i posted here. it is solely and absolute under the discretion of all forumers.

now where were we?

i reek of putrefaction...
SunOfFrostLight
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, am I showing off right here? Tell me, which post do you think that I'm showing off? I haven't told anyone how good am I yet. I am still learning like you guys, but it's just that somehow when you guys reply to my post, you guys seem to tell me that I'm totally wrong, and that your methods are the only thing right.

Or do you guys just think that giving opinions are just "showing off"?

In other threads I'm just giving some answers to the people who asked regarding certain topics, does that show that I'm showing off?

Yeah like the guy above my post here, I do agree if you would appreciate that the website does have a PM thing. Forum threads aren't places to chat, though.

I do appreciate if you guys correct me when I'm wrong, but have you guys tried a better respectable way of correcting people, instead of going like "Oh you're totally out. HAHA! You're a jerk! It should be this way..." and so on.

Have I wrote anywhere that studying in ICOM makes people smarter in music than any other musicians? Prove to me if I had say that!

Don't accuse people when you don't have strong evidence, or you'll pay the price.

Jump to: