back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Post new topic  Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 recording « View previous topic :: View next topic »
Author Message
darrenbkl
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: recording Reply with quote

Joined: 26 Apr 2007

hi all,can gv me some tips on recording??i dunno anything,haha.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
danger3s
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 30 Oct 2006
Location: Kuantan

Audio interface - start from there. This is not google search bar. You need to be specific Wink
Back to top
darrenbkl
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 26 Apr 2007

ok...
1)is it mixer is a must for home recording??
2)record guitar. micing or line in better??
3)is it compressor is to avoid the overdrive clean sound when playing too hard?
4)what is 'pan'?
5)when recording,y my distorion souns muddy??

hope can get rid of my noobness. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
danger3s
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 30 Oct 2006
Location: Kuantan

Okay, I'll try to answer that with my very limited knowledge.

1) Mixer - you need mixer if you want to record two or more instrument/sound source (say guitar & bass) simultaneously, or if you want to record drum which is more complicated as you need a mic for each pad, cymbal, bass, room ambience etc.
So the answer is YES if you need to record all these, NO if you're just recording one instrument at a time.

What you MUST have is a decent audio interface to process your analog signal to digital into your DAW. There is alternative for this although not recommended. I'll elaborate more if you're interested.

2) Micing or Line in -

Given proper tools micing will ALWAYS sound better than line in.

Although when you talk about low budget home recording, it's just a matter of preference really.
Recording a high end tube amp but with an el-cheapo mic & bad a/d converter audio interface would give worse result than recording straight from line out of some amps macam Marshall Mg series, ataupun amp modelling device macam SansAmp Gt-2, Pod, Tonelab, Gnx3000 or softwares like Gearbox, Amplitube, Guitar Rig2 etc. At the time being I'd personally prefer the latter.

3) Yes, but that's not just only function of compressor. Remember that if your sound has already broke up before it reaches the compressor then the'd no need to have a compressor to prevent that. The level where your amp/clean sound starts to break up is called 'headroom'.

4) Pan - brings your sound to left & right or center.

5) There are a lot of causes for muddiness, you can start by telling how you're recording & what do you use. Maybe sound clips etc.
Back to top
darrenbkl
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 26 Apr 2007

ok,thx so much..but what is audio interface ah??My set up is guitar-metal zone-Marshall MG30-computer.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
danger3s
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 30 Oct 2006
Location: Kuantan

It is basically a soundcard. You can use your stock soundcard for recording but it is not recommended for various reasons.
Back to top
GryMlock
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 24 Nov 2003
Location: Agombak Ago go!

dude u should just start recording using whatever setup you have. Then let us know what's the problem u encounter and i think the guys here can give you tips based on what you intend to achieve in your recordings.

there're a lot of things to cover in this general topic.

for the Qs, the basics to get your start with.. mr. blehbleh had explained em nicely.
_________________
[ Kluk Kluk Adventure ] | [ Call the Paramedics ] | [ Dot ] | [ AJEEPEK ]
Back to top
Erna
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 04 Apr 2006

GryMlock wrote:
dude u should just start recording using whatever setup you have. Then let us know what's the problem u encounter and i think the guys here can give you tips based on what you intend to achieve in your recordings.

there're a lot of things to cover in this general topic.

for the Qs, the basics to get your start with.. mr. blehbleh had explained em nicely.

i agree with GryMlock, tell us what u have and these guys will guide u..it's cheaper this way darren..

good info mr. blehbleh..
Back to top
darrenbkl
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 26 Apr 2007

http://www.badongo.com/file/3199560

hi,gv me some comment about tis sound quality,ha,i noe my playing is sucks,so i only need to noe the sound quality,thx.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
danger3s
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 30 Oct 2006
Location: Kuantan

The piano/organ was OK, did you play that? Nice playin.

Lead guitar sounded thin, no body, harsh too much distortion & very digital.

What I'd try is to get better sound from the source first before you even start recording. There is no better way to do this than to tweak your amp & pedal in real time along with the computer.

Some people would say it's your MT-2, but to be honest, MG series weren't really made for recording. AFAIK it has no cab simulation at all and that results to your thin sounding guitar. Not to mention that the amp itself has no good lead tone to start with. Not trying to bring you down, but that's the truth. I used the very same amp & sold it 3 months later.

You can choose to be content with what you have and thus tweak that thing with not much improvement.

OR

I'd recommend to start looking at other options like Amplitube, Guitar Rig 2 etc. Sure there'd be a lot to learn but that's what you pay for a good quality recording.
Back to top
GryMlock
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 24 Nov 2003
Location: Agombak Ago go!

dude it's actually a good start already. I thought u said you don't know anything? Laughing

so now the next step is to get better sound ler.

I'm sure this one would sound better if it's mix properly.

guitar sound : other guitarist have to comment on this. I'm no guitarist. for me..basically it sounded okay.. definitely need to work on the recording quality. a bit muddy at one point.. and I'm hearing crackling sound.
_________________
[ Kluk Kluk Adventure ] | [ Call the Paramedics ] | [ Dot ] | [ AJEEPEK ]
Back to top
danger3s
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 30 Oct 2006
Location: Kuantan

I agree, if I have to compliment one thing, that'd be the pianos & arrangement of music. Also I heard some basic layering there & a good use of room for your guitar and rhythm tracks.

The lead guitar though, needs some adjustment. If you listen closely there is very distinct fizz & noise accompanying the lead guitar. I suspect that is result of overuse of distortion. No eq or post effect could remove that. You need some tweaking to your amp & pedal, maybe clean up your sound by backing off the tone on your guitar etc.

What software do you use to record?
Back to top
darrenbkl
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 26 Apr 2007

Very Happy thx mr.blehbleh and mr.GryMlock for ur comment and i will improve it. i use Adobe Audition 2.0 . i really dont like the rhythm distortion sound,its vr muddy,mayb that is bcoz i record through line in instead of micing right??then wat amp u r using??
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
deadzid
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Joined: 13 Feb 2004
Location: Shah Alam

okay.. i've heard your track.. it's quite nice, maybe the guitar parts need to be polished a bit... since the source where u record the guitar track is bad, so we need to start from there.. coz if the source is bad, then there's nothing we can do to polish it!

here's an affordable way to record your guitar tracks, if you're NOT planning on upgrading your soundcard to an expensive audio interface...

first, get rid of the Marshall amp, and replace it with this cheap Behringer di-box specially designed for guitar. The Ultra-G has built-in 4x12 cabinet simulation, so you don't need to mic your amp anymore.

With this unit you can record your guitar + metal zone sound directly into our pc / notebook... as i listen to your song, i noticed that the guitar track only audible on left channel, this is because the guitar out is mono... this unit resolves that problem and you can record it on both left + right channel!

but don't forget to get the female XLR to stereo 1/8" jack as well - to connect from the Ultra-G out to your pc's line-in soundcard... btw, that Behringer unit costs less than RM200 (if i'm not mistaken)...

good luck!
_________________
> facebook
> youtube
> my-mic
> mockspecial.com
Back to top
ETERNAL
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Joined: 01 Aug 2005
Location: Dreamland

aku pun menghadapi masalah yang sama ari tuh..
selepas deadzid menolak lamaran aku untuk membeli mixer dier..
aku nak try cari DI BOX

aku dgar afiq criedbaby nak jual DI box dier..
try tanyer die..
aku tak jadi nak bli DI box/mixer..
pasal dah angkut POD...
hehe...

btw... darren..
nice keyboard/synth...

cheaper alternative way... find something to boost up guitar signal..
even cheaper... rewire jack input to make it sound stereo.. hahaa.
just tambah wire sket jer...
_________________
KreativWerks MediaSolutions|Soundcloud | YouTube | Facebook
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Display posts from previous:
Post new topic  Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next Page 1 of 7

Jump to:

You cannot vote in polls in this forum

DAJ Glass template by Dustin Baccetti
EQ graphic based off of a design from www.freeclipart.nu