back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

THE DIRTY DOZEN: 12 of the best blues releases post SRV « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
penghuluhak
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: THE DIRTY DOZEN: 12 of the best blues releases post SRV Reply with quote

Stevie Ray Vaughn was the last blues guitar hero and here's the dozen releases considered as the best 12 that came after him:

1. JIMMIE VAUGHN - DO YOU GET THE BLUES(Atremis)
I've always been a big fan of Jimmie and he's the king of taste, very economical with his playing and he speaks to me in that way. I really like the little bit of jazz that are in there, the flute - he's really making you listen." Robert Cray

2. KELLY JOE PHELPS - LEAD ME ON(Burnside)
Kelly Joe's first album with his own doon laden takes on blues standards left the opposition gasping in reverence at just how one man can play lap steel and make it sound like a band. Phenomenal.

3. BUDDY GUY - LIVE AT THE CHEKERBOARD LOUNGE (JSP)
If you want to hear how Buddy really sounds, this has to be the one. Recorded in 1979 in one of Buddy's favourite funky Chicago haunts, rarely has blues guitar sounded thus vital.

4. JNR KIMBROUGH - MOST THINGS HAVEN'T WORKED OUT (Epitaph)
Hypnotic trance blues from the now sadly deceased Jnr Kimbrough, straight from his Holly Springs, North Mississippi Juke. Saturday night can't get any better than this...

5. WALTER TROUT - GO THE DISTANCE (Ruf)
""Walter's a quite amazing guitar player and I just love listening to everything he's done..." John Mayall

6. STEVIE RAY VAUGHN AND DOUBLE TROUBLE - LIVE AT MONTREUX 1982 & 1985 (Epic Legacy)
This is a ray of hope for anyone playing Saturday night at the Dog & Donkey. Undetered by the antagonistic Swiss blues purists, Stevie plays his heart out before returning three years later to slay them. Proof that the man was without equal.

7. JIMI HENDRIX - BLUES (MCA)
This collection of the master's work, including an unexpected version of Born Under A Bad Sign, confirms Hendrix as the most important blues guitarist since Robert Johnson.

8. RAINER - WORRIED SPIRITS (Demon)
This young East German emigre was raised in Chicago and ended his days hammering on a National Steel living in the Arizona desert. Ptatek recorded this in his loft and the results are chilling. A true innovator who, had he lived - he died from a brain tumour - would have set the world alight.

9. BB KING - THE VINTAGE YEARS (Ace)
This is the textbook for all aspiring blues players. From Memphis to Houston - four CDs of BB's finest early recordings for the likes of RPM and KING, showcasing his wonderfully fluid guitar on pumping tracks like She's Dynamite and 3 O'Clock - when his strings still had Mississippi dust on them. Hear where Clapton got it from. Incomparable!

10. GARY MOORE - STILL GOT THE BLUES (Virgin)
Catapulted the Irish guitarist to stardom and showed his devastating style and technique to brilliant effect. Also gave the world's pub blues bands a whole new repertoire.

11. RL BURNSIDE - WISH I WAS IN HEAVEN SITTING DOWN (Epitaph)
If you don't walk to risk the mayhem of RL's encounters with the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, this one is the album to get. A sneaky gumbo of samples and loops mixed up with Burnside's gravel road vocals make for an irresistible mix.

12. ERIC CLAPTON & BB KING - RIDING WITH THE KING (Reprise)
You need this album, if only to hear two giants of the blues working together in perfect harmony and mutual love and respect. Excellent.

Words by: Julian Piper Guitarist 230 Winter 2002 Page 153

Jump to: