back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

How To Scream 101 « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
eynkarr
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject: How To Scream 101 Reply with quote

Hardcore Minor Threat, Agnostic Front, etc. Scream

This scream is most likely the easiest out of all the screams, reason being that it is basically shouting, not screaming. Not much screaming going on here. This is also one of the most damaging because this is coming from your throat and voice box. This is NOT the healthiest way to scream/shout, but if Ian (Minor Threat) can do it, so can you. Just make sure to coat the vocal cords with a substance such as milk and saliva to at least not completly damage your voice on your first attempt.

Emocore Thursday, Poison The Well, Finch etc. Screams[b/]

Okay, this is my favorite out of them all. Reason being, this is what I am best at . This scream is largely based upon physcological feelings triggered towards the scream. These screams show anguish, and despair, and largely come from the throat and gut together. In order to push out enough air, your going to need to suck in as much air as possible, and then think of your physcological despair, and let it all out. These screams take a lot out of people because they work your entire gut and throat. I only dothese screams as backups for my band, I don't understand how Geoff from Thursday can do it for so long. Drink plenty of water, and keep yourself hydrated. This WILL take a lot out of you, but if done right, you will be very happy with the outcome.

[b]Metal Kittie, Slipknot, Pantera etc. type Screams

These screams are largely like the "Emocore" screams above. They take a lot out of you, but this time, it comes plainly from your gut. An excellent example of these types of screams are Phil from Pantera's screams. His are soley from the gut and pass through his vocal cords. He pushes so much air that the scream basically pushes itself out. Some people find it easier to bend over while doing these screams in order to get all the possible air out of their stomaches/lungs for the full effect. Try this and see what works best for you. I have heard the strongest screams from the most unsespecting people, so just push, push, push and you will eventually get it. Practice makes perfect.

Death Metal Cannibal Corpse, Napalm Death, etc. Screams

These screams are right up there with the hardcore screams at an easy standpoint. This scream is ALL GUT! Make your voice go as deep as possible, and push all your gut air out as hard as possible with your voice still going as deep as possible. Once again, THIS IS ALL GUT! This is very easy to do for short periods, but long periods of time will take practice.

High Pitched Cradle of Filth type Screams

As was pointed out to me earlier, Dani Filth breathes in to get his screams as high as he does. This CAN be done, but this is the most difficult scream in my opinion. This is done in the same sense as the Death Metal scream above, but now instead of making your voice go as low as possible, constrict the vocal cords and get your voice as high as possible. YOU WILL FEEL IT IF YOU DO IT RIGHT. This will take a lot of practice! CAUTION! DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK! Many people have paralyzed/came close to paralyzing a vocal cord doing these screams. Chino from the Deftones is one that has, but he breathes OUT when he screams. Try both and see what works best for you. Remember practice makes perfect.

Well, that is about every scream immaginable. Please everyone, keep this thread going so hundreds of, "How Do I Scream?" threads don't majically appear within the next week. I typed this at 2:48 a.m. so please, keep it going

Screaming takes A LOT of practice. If you don't get it the first time, keep trying until you do. It is an art. I don't think you can just scream. There has to be some sort of emotion somewhere in the scream, and in the screamers head in order to get the sound your looking for. Good luck, and I hope this helps.

-Mike (from musicianforums.com)

***New Addition***

This is for all the questions asking what bands fall where, so I will catoegorize them as best as I can:

Hardcore Screams

Minor Threat
Bad Brains
Gorilla Biscuits
Agnostic Front
SS Decontrol
etc....

Emocore Screams

Thursday
Poison The Well (Old stuff, new screams are more "metal")
The Used
Mineral
Further Seems Forever
Finch
Glassjaw
Avenged Sevenfold
Dashboard Confessional (when Chris does scream)
From Autumn To Ashes
Still Life
Planes Mistaken For Stars
AFI
.hopesfall.
The Hope Conspiracy
My Chemical Romance
Brand New
Basically, every "Screamo" band (I hate that term)

Metal Screams

Kittie
Slipknot
KoRn (Although, still, a lot of emotion is in it)
Mudvayne
Pantera
System of a Down
Linkin Park
Basically "nu" metal bands (yes, I know, Pantera isn't nu metal)

Death Metal Screams

Cannibal Corpse
Napalm Death
Dying Fetus
Dimmu Borgir
Cradle Of Filth
Six Feet Under
Basically, and Death/Black metal or Grindcore band

High Pitched Screams

Some Killswitch Engage
Cradle of Filth (sometimes)
I don't know too many bands that do this, but you get the idea.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
STONE
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx for your information..
HuntressM00n
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

wanna talk like the Devil? when you are doing your Evil talk before going through a Deep growl? or a natural deep growl, wihout a force?

Well, Lesson One.

1) Take ventholin (Steroids), 3 times and dont drink water, your voice naturally will turn into a growl.
I used to play with it when i was young to freak my friends out. Ah the Joy of being asmathic.

Its A cool trick.
nutnap
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: wrt ian gillan's scream Reply with quote

" I spent years doing backing vocals as well as lead vocals in a band called Episode Six. We had a girl singer so when she came out to sing her stuff, I would go to the organ and do backing vocals. The high range was gone because she was singing lead so I had to do the top end, which involved a form of falsetto, and I designed what they call a scream. It’s not a scream really its just high singing. I don’t know how to describe it. It is controlled. It is not just abandoned. I suddenly discovered that I have four octaves to play with. It makes life interesting. The voice is a very versatile instrument. If you have the boldness and are surrounded by the right environment then you can do anything with it. No fear came upon us and there we were. -ian gillan- "

http://www.classicrockrevisited.com/interviews01/ian_gillan_interview.htm

-nutnap-
HuntressM00n
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

everyone can sing,

and different vocalist have different ways.
But sometimes it is anonying for people to say, hey u sound so like MOrgan, or worse, Pearl Jam.
fReqZz
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude.. i'm thinking to change the traditional way of singing those metal tune.. why not try to mix the r&b voice to the fast n furious track.. it could be the mix of boyz 2 men n metallica.. ha~?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

hahahaa i was thinking of the same thing, u know.

i am a R&B singer.. and i cant do melodic metal cam lacona coil and all, coz the vocal structure is very straight line and boring.
i only do death screamo/growl or change my vocals into a guy, because i cant sing melodic metal like a girl.
because my real vox very the pop/alternative and R&B.
Jailhouserock
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about growl? Can somebody explain it to me?
Thanks.
lis
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this forum really helps. Bfo reading this, i screamed without knowing the different techniques of screaming. Teramat educational. Ur info motivates me to practice even more. Thanx dude
ETERNAL
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

hoho..
tak tahu plak aku...

yang aku tahu growl sume same..
cume cara kontrol je len.... (mcm effect la) AHAAA

1. pitch (LOW or HIGH)
nak nyanyi lagu cradle?? try lagu ziana zain dulu muahaha

2. Voice Release..
kat mana suara last keluar.. hujung mulut, kerongkong, anak tekak,
bukaan mulut - bukak sket, bukak besar cam steven tyler, bassy,

3. Mic Control
jarak mulut ngan mic - selalunya lagi dekat mulut lagi kuat sound distort... lagi tambah effect growl... (lagi basah.. tak kering cam bodom)

kaver tangan kat mic untuk sound lebih bass... basah ... chorus

aku tau yang ni jer.. tu pun sengal gak aku nak ngapal...
klu ader yang len korang tambah laa ye...

tapi yang penting feel time growl..
dan tahap kebasahan kerongkong... kang ilang suara plak...
satu lagi.. gula2 dan air suam tak membantu kalau korang makan/minum setengah jam sebelum jerit..

:shah;
Lukas Belial
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sing with all the techniques I've heard.. Growl, shriek, snarl.. with no difficulty.. Heheheh..
josephstanley
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any hardcore screamer here? We're a metalcore band currently searching for screamer.
Sharlene Malcolm
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I wanna knw, if the screaming is not loud, but soft, but still can be heard, is it ok, or is it supposed to be loud? And if so, how to do loud screaming instead of soft one? I used my falsetto, and my false cord to scream, but it comes out so softly. I wanna be loud, and not use my real cord to scream at the same time.
ETERNAL
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Sharlene Malcolm wrote:
Hey I wanna knw, if the screaming is not loud, but soft, but still can be heard, is it ok, or is it supposed to be loud? And if so, how to do loud screaming instead of soft one? I used my falsetto, and my false cord to scream, but it comes out so softly. I wanna be loud, and not use my real cord to scream at the same time.

maybe its similar to normal singing. which you can control how loud your vocal is regardless at which pitch you're hitting...

different level of loudness will create different vocal tone as range dynamic will take place.
Casper666
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pig squeal.. Laughing

Jump to: