back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Mixing Problem - Helpppp Me « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Raggy
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! it's a damn good song,superb guitaring,bro!

sounds like you got the phase inverted in 1 of the channels of the solo... played in stereo, you can hear each side but when you convert it into mono, each side of the signal cancels the other.

In sonar, when viewing each track, you can see the buttons display to show signal =mono or stereo or inverted phase.....if inverted phase the button turns a funny color...check this. It can happen on it's own, espcially if you freeze and unfreeze tracks with Fx applied.

2nd possibility is that your mac is reading just the weaker side of the stereo signal, but since you say when you pan it into the centre it becomes soft, it seems likely you have your solo in inverted phase.

Inverted phase is very interesting.....if you copy any track, and put it into another track, i.e. you have 2 exactly same tracks.....then you invert the phase of one of them......on playback you get nothing!...while this may seem silly/stupid thing to do, it is actually VERY useful......say you mix your guitar and have a complete mix, but youwant to experiment with increasing or decreasing just your guitar track without spoiling the original mix.....just double the guitar mix (EXACT copy of original including effects) into another track, invert the phase of the copy track....and bring the copy track volume to Zero......on playback everything is as original, but as you increase the volume of the Inverted-phase track, the overall guitar volume will DECREASE! (to increase volume, just corrct the phase to normal, then it will become a volume-adding track)

this kind of usage of inverted-phase to reduce a particular track's volume in an overall mix is very useful when doing final-production work in a situationwhere you just want to adjust the volume of a particular track/instrument in an overall mix.....it's actually part of what Mastering with "Stems" is about.

hahaha sorry, tokkok too much, but my album work (recording and mastering) is all complete, just got the mastering finished (by Bob Katz in the USA!!!!!) a few days ago....now nothing to do but wait for CD production....so can tokkok like hell.
okta
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

yo raggy!

would love to hear your "making the album" story soon.
sorcerer
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okta wrote:
aku pon tak sure apesal masalah ko ni.

I still think it's some phase problem happening somewhere in ur signal routing.

Just to try. If u record you Guitar lead on a stereo track, maybe u can try just bouncing(export) out to a mono track and then importing it back ..then use that track in the mix.

sorry dude..could'nt help much here

Confused

ok, will try it out . Anyway, thanx for all okta... Smile
GryMlock
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuh Bob Katz. aku nak Hantar mastering kat Okta pun tak mampu nak bayar.

release la cepat2!
sorcerer
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TQ Raggy for the info... really appreciate it.... Smile

Anxiously waiting for yr album...

Ajeep, hantar kat Okta mastering, bayarannya boleh buat ansuran bulanan kan? Very Happy
Raggy
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha yeah , okta, maybe one day i'll write down the whole "making the album" story.....it's been an extremely long learning session for me (20 months) and I have had no holidays at all, work work work to save $ for all the equipment and other costs, had to quit performing completely to focus on recordings, and in the process had to learn a LOT of things about recording/mixing techniques and since I am doing an old-style album with Country,Blues, Rock, Pop, Latin etc,I had to learn how to use vst's and various plugins and keyboards etc etc etc etc to create the sounds needed for each.....it became complete madness, and I had to become totally focused, but I learnt a lot of things.

I never dared to say this before, but now I am confident: this album WILL be good. Thousands and thousands of hours of work has gone into it, but I feel I've come out with some really good songs. Unfortunately, I'm not at all interested in the commercial market, so my songs will probably only appeal to those who like good music/lyrics and 70's-style arrangements, so maybe zero album sales, but so what: I did what I wanted to do Smile

err, if i-bands members want copies of my album, i'll arrange a special price, maybe as low as RM10! (just amongst us friends)....but only for regular i-band members. For "outside" people, my attitude is they can fukoff if they want a part of my life for cheap, I'll probably sell the album for an expensive price RM35/- hahahaha (actually already got people waiting to buy!)
okta
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Quote:
haha yeah , okta, maybe one day i'll write down the whole "making the album" story

will b looing forward to that

Jump to: