back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Post new topic  Reply to topic
 Digital Recorder : Zoom MRS8 vs Boss BR 864 « View previous topic :: View next topic »
Author Message
jengofett
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Digital Recorder : Zoom MRS8 vs Boss BR 864 Reply with quote

Joined: 16 Feb 2005

Hi braders and shredders

Let me introduce me self, been playing guitar for bout 18 years
(but still no good).
Been in a band in 86-90 (influnced by MSG/Maiden/Metallica/Dokken/ Malmsteen/Wings & Belantara).
93-96 = UK-studying (actually more of a paid holiday 3 years) met the legendary Bode. Bought my first brand new axe (Gibson Les Paul Standard, Tobacco Sunburst).

After years of listening to all homemade recording especially "Bode Classics" way back in 95, I am begining to realise that I need to put my soul in a multi track. fuuhhh what an intro ...

Been checkin these two babies the Zoom and the Boss, retails at RM 1.6K and 2.4K respectively, In summarry both come with an 8 Track Digital, recorder, a mixer, drum and bass module, sd card 128, built in mic.

check out the links below,

Boss
http://202.186.86.35/audio/story.asp?file=/2004/8/5/audiofile/05boss&sec=audiofile

Zoom
http://202.186.86.35/audio/story.asp?file=/2004/11/25/audiofile/25zoom

Trying to use pc before (cakewalk etc) but my stupidity and un reliable pc always hang on me, another issue of stability thus i now walking in the midst of purchasing either one of these item.

Question :
1. Any have had used any of the items below.
2. How user friendly it is for a NOVICE multi track user.

regards

jengofett
Back to top
synthdude
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Korg D1200mkII Reply with quote

Joined: 06 Dec 2004

Hi. I don't have much experience with Zoom digital recorders in general but I can tell you that the Boss unit, while loaded with a lot of useful sound-shaping tools, isn't quite in the same league as Korg's D1200mkII which retails for slightly over RM3,000 at CK Music (you can talk to Amizan on 03-21420529/21450178).

It's a portable 24bit-capable 12-tracker that has plenty of pristine-sounding effects, preset drum patterns, a pair of XLR inputs with phantom power, and most importantly, a well thought-out user interface.

This is the official Korg link for the D1200mkII:

http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?a_prod_no=D1200MKII&category_id=3

Here's my review of the first-generation D1200:

http://www.geocities.com/sundaystyle/d1200.html

You can check out some of the music I recorded on the D1200 here:

http://www.i-bands.net/audiovault/bands/1053/music.php

http://www.i-bands.net/audiovault/bands/1024/music.php

Cheers. Smile
Back to top
Bode
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 03 Feb 2004

Jengofett duuuuudddeeeee!!!!!
Nice to see you again!!!
There are already a few ex-Sheffield Rock Coalition renegades here in i-bands actually:

http://www.i-bands.net/forum/album_personal.php?user_id=131

Krik and Riki Rahman Smile

Anyway, I will reply your message very2 soon...will get back atchah! Very Happy
Back to top
jengofett
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 16 Feb 2005

Hi all thanx....

no prob dr bode .......

synthdude,

Thnx for the advise, i went to ck last weekend and also bents.... all ican say is ...ck have a very good sales people.... for bents hehehe "go fly kite" ( eventhough i have bought a Squier Strats and an Ibanez folk from them... regerted it ...... Evil or Very Mad

I ask the bents people bout the Boss Br 864.... and the answers goes ....." What boss ??? dont know ... errrr do have it here " geeez it was reviewed by The Star and the item was given to the reviewer courtesey of them...
Twisted Evil
Back to the recorder, I have tried the Korg and Zoom machine.... hand down the zoom has it user friendlyness comparatively to the Korg. The Korg is nice and looks like worth every penny but its a way bit out of the budget.

I spoke to this "Jaya" guy, he was very enthusiastic and quite patience in explaning bout the functions of the machine... for the price i think i might go with the zoom....

It has its limitation comparatively but for weekend and hobbyist like me self I guess the zoom is sufficient enough.
Btw, what sort of keys do you use... bout to purchase one... it must have at least 61 keys... 6 track sequncer .... midi in out ..... any sugesstion.... any thing less than than RM 1 K is good for me.

My plan is to set up a mini studio with my guitar and the keys as the source. I want to make the song structure using the keys... any model that u would recommend....

thanx for the feedback.
Back to top
deadzid
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Joined: 13 Feb 2004
Location: Shah Alam

i never went to CK Music anymore since they don't have any lefty guitars around and they said to me "Belajar la main style kanan pulak.."

cis ingat senang ke nak convert to righthand playing setelah bertahun-tahun main lefthand! ada ka bagi jawapan camtuh... tak supportive langsung!
_________________
> facebook
> youtube
> my-mic
> mockspecial.com
Back to top
synthdude
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:21 am    Post subject: The Zoom MRS-8SD appears to be more than just a cool tool... Reply with quote

Joined: 06 Dec 2004

And it comes with MIDI-sync'able realistic drum and bass sounds... Amazing what these ever-shrinking box-sized studios can do!

As for five-octave do-all keyboards costing less than RM1,000, I'm afraid your choice is pretty limited. You might want to look for a used Korg or Yamaha workstation (like the M1), or check out something like Yamaha's General MIDI-based PSR-273:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=key/search/detail/base_pid/707427/
Back to top
jengofett
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 16 Feb 2005

Hi all,

Sorry bro to start the thread back again, actually by end of this week i gonna get my Multitrack recorder Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy , sebenarnya after trying with so many PC based softwares memang aku tak beberapa sesuai utk pakai for recording, aku rasa aku ni benguk sikit lah ... the highest i am able to do is record then latency then itu ini ..... Mad

so i narrowed my search and get the Boss BR900 CD (USB,8 track,COSM) all in one ... yearghhh ( ...saturday nite super star)... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Boss BR900 CD (Record)---> USB (PC)(Mixing) ----> USB Boss (Burn)

Bende ni aku kirim kat office mate aku coz he gonna go to Japan, in Malaysia aku check its bout RM 3200 (Roland Malaysia) and still no stock yet but its gonna cost me roughly RM 1800 after converting from Japan Yen.

Stupid Question No 1 :- Confused Confused

Japan is 140 W power consumption - kat mana boleh dapat a reliable Adapter for Boss produt and roughly how much is it ????

Stupid Question No2 :- Confused Smile

What sort of after market Power Adapter is good enough to tahan few hours of usage....

Tx for any recommendations

ps bode mana lagu Kartina.... remix balik le
Back to top
Bode
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 03 Feb 2004

jengofett wrote:

ps bode mana lagu Kartina.... remix balik le

Lagu tu aku master kan kat VHS tape( untuk take advantage of the 90db dynamic range...sorry guys...I'm talking about 1994 here! Teknologi purba!)Very Happy And at present lagu tu still kat dlm tape tu...The problem about re-mastering that song is that I didn't write the song but it was written by Constant(Azmil)'s friend (alamak aku terlupa pulak nama dia...Jamsari kot...forgive me if I got the name wrong). So kalau nak buat apa2 pun with that song I gotta ask his permission, but the problem is I couldnt contact the dude...All I did with the song was totally re-arrange it to be more 'Toto' and less 'Bon Jovi'... and played all the instruments...but of course the song writer was not me Smile

(For those who don't know, 'Kartina' was a pop/r&b ballad that was written by Jamsari(I think!) and Azmil(lyrics) back in 1993 in Sheffield. It was a desperate attempt for me to 'sell out', but unfortunately it didn't, due to my extended guitar solo which totally ruined the 'commerciality' of the song... Crying or Very sad
Back to top
jengofett
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 16 Feb 2005

Yeearg bode, the song has a good melodic arrangement but the solo though it’s a bit
to "Bodelicious" Laughing , I sense some darkforce has encrypted you whilst
soloing the song.

Btw Mr Bode about my question, do you have any idea where can I get a reliable
Power adapter, coz I received a call from my mate just few hours, he bought the item
BR 900CD (Boss) Digital Multitrack from Ishibashi Music Osaka and the retail
is round RM1750.

Coz all my gear are from UK so power not an issue, but has any body bought anything from
Japan ???
Back to top
Display posts from previous:
Post new topic  Reply to topic Page 1 of 1

Jump to:

You cannot vote in polls in this forum

DAJ Glass template by Dustin Baccetti
EQ graphic based off of a design from www.freeclipart.nu