back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Post new topic  Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
 Amp Talk: Yours & Those On Your Wishlist « View previous topic :: View next topic »
Author Message
synthdude
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Amp Talk: Yours & Those On Your Wishlist Reply with quote

Joined: 06 Dec 2004

Quote:
My 14-year-old trusty workhorse:

Laney A3012 Series II combo, AOR series with cascading preamp, push-pull on four of the knobs. Apparently one of the best-sounding 30-watt 6V6-powered all-tube combos of its time (late '80s/early '90s).

_________________
ORIGINAL MUSIC: RS / Archtop Soul / synthdude / YouTube Channel I / YouTube Channel II

Last edited by synthdude on Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:52 pm; edited 5 times in total
Back to top
gapster
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 15 Mar 2005

CUBE 30

always pawns
_________________
gapnap.com

Back to top
IZZI
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 11 Dec 2004
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Present Laney products are made in china. Is there any different between UK's and china model? i used to play with the 100w china made stack Laney amp and the sound wasnt satisfying me that day. It was too wet, too bassy and the treble terlalu tajam. I dont think Paul Gilbert uses the china made.
_________________
Gelanggang guitar : http://guitarden.starahead.com
Back to top
Bode
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Amp Talk: What's yours? Reply with quote

Joined: 03 Feb 2004

synthdude wrote:
My 14-year-old trusty workhorse:

Laney A3012 Series II combo, AOR series with cascading preamp, push-pull on four of the knobs. Apparently one of the best-sounding 30-watt 6V6-powered all-tube combos of its time (late '80s/early '90s).

...droooooooooooooolllll...drooooooooooooolllllllllllll...droooooooooolllll....

One of my fav amps....I always have this obsession for Laneys from the late 80's era...

I think all of you have seen mine in other threads : Laney Linebacker 50 solid state. I actually did comment something about it in another thread...here it is:
Bode wrote:
Whooooo!!!! I dont mind collecting these babies! It depends on what you need really. As for me, I'm very eccentric and this amp fits well with my needs, which at the same time other people may find ludicrous.

I'll tell you it's cons first:
1. Dont look forward to use the internal pre-amp to get modern sounding overdrive sounds. The internal overdrive sounds more like a very old clean amp driven to break up. Think of Neal Schon's sounds on early Journey stuff such as 'Lights' and 'Who's Crying Now', then you're close.
2. Don't expect sparkly clean tones ala Fender amps to come out of this amp...this amp behaves like an old stack, and stacks(of the olden days) in general are considered inferior to open backed combos like Fender combos/Roland Jazz Choruses when it comes to clean sounds.

That's it.

Pros :
1. When you use other devices to provide the distortion (fuzz, distortion boxes, other pre-amps), the combination sounds like a MONSTER, which is only obtainable with amps costing at least 5-10 times more. The first time I tried the amp, I brought my old faithful Boss DS-1 (I was doing A-Levels in Worcester in 1986 that time, found this amp in this small but friendly guitar shop), and I decided to buy the amp after less than one minute of trying it. I've been using the same amps since 1986 until to this very day. I bought another one for 130 quid in Doncaster so that I can go stereo.
The cool thing about the amp is the TONALITY of the amp, which is more akin of a head and a 4x12 cab set up, (the closed back design may be largely contributive to this). The bottom end is tight, unlike in combos(if this is what you are looking for). The mids and highs are well balanced. If you want the stack sound without the size, this is the one for you.

This last point is neither a point for or against the amp...but depends on the context of your usage. Channel A and B can be made to sound identical. This is important for me, because in my rig, the Peavey Profex II pre-amp dictates everything about my sound, whether its clean, crunch or high gain distortion sounds...and the Laney's job is to contour that tone and deliver it. I use channel A as a mere 'louder' channel, but with the exact tones as channel B. My rig configuration is also eccentric and unique to my personal needs, while this amp serves me perfectly, it might be a pain in the ass to you.

izuanhafez wrote:
Present Laney products are made in china. Is there any different between UK's and china model? i used to play with the 100w china made stack Laney amp and the sound wasnt satisfying me that day. It was too wet, too bassy and the treble terlalu tajam.

Sounds like you are describing my current guitar tone on our latest collab! He he he!!! Laughing
Izuan...I dunno about the difference between the asian origin Laneys and their western counterparts. But maybe, I gather that you're probably not a big fan of the Laney tone...some people do comment that it's too 'hard edged'...just like my guitar tone you heard in our collab thingy...though it's not the Laney, it's a faithful re-production of how my Laney sounds...and I admit it's kinda like a contrast to your tone on the song, which is very smooth and chocolatey..(yum yum!). But if you do tweak around the tone, you can get that warm smooth tone too. I think at one time Richie Kotzen and Vinnie Moore were using the almost the same model Laney amps...but on the album, their guitar tone is almost the opposite of each other...Richie's is hard edged while Vinnie's is warm and smooth...interesting eh?
[/img]

Last edited by Bode on Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
synthdude
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: The Black Sabbath sound! Reply with quote

Joined: 06 Dec 2004

From my understanding of Laney's current production philosophy, their China-made amps are pretty much engineered to keep their hallowed tradition alive.

So, there shouldn't be any real difference between their British and Chinese amps.

But Doc, you're right about the "hard-edged" flavour that's associated with Laney. It's the amp with the Black Sabbath sound... just ask Tony Iommi! Wink

Anyway, that's the main reason I bought the A3012... To play Black Sabbath covers! Unfortunately, it was a bit too heavy to lug to the pub so I ended up using a Fender Deluxe 80, which surprisingly turned out to be quite tubey for a solid-state amp of that time. It's my standby amp now!

But like you also mentioned, there shouldn't be a problem dialling up creamy crunch tones on a Laney once you become familiar with the amp's gain chraracteristics.

As for tone, Doc I think you and I are on the same page. The only difference is, I can't play to save my life while your playing can melt the Devil's heart! Cool

PS. Thanks to you guys, I'm now getting back to guitars and amps again. Time to pack up the synths for the time being! Very Happy
Back to top
omarjamaludin
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Admin
Site Admin

Joined: 18 Feb 2004
Location: Tmn Melawati

now dont go and sell your soul to the devil like robert johnson did..hehe..
_________________
my photoblog - http://sigemok.blogspot.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
synthdude
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Now, that's an idea! Reply with quote

Joined: 06 Dec 2004

Idea Gotta start looking for the right simpang empat! Cool
Back to top
MiN
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 01 Mar 2005

marshall avt100.....thats what im using....
Back to top
Bode
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Now, that's an idea! Reply with quote

Joined: 03 Feb 2004

omarjamaludin wrote:
now dont go and sell your soul to the devil like robert johnson did..hehe..

Hey...the deal with the devil is not that bad as what some people make it out to be! As long as you keep renewing the contract every 666 days, Mr. Lucifer is cool. Fine, you get good in something, but at the same time, some obvious things that even beginners can do, I can't do...but these are the things that I'm not interested in doing anyway...so, I'm still happy with the deal! Very Happy And the amount of blood needed for resigning the contract is too insignificant to cause any ill-effects on your health (trust me...I'm a Doc! Twisted Evil )

synthdude wrote:
Idea Gotta start looking for the right simpang empat! Cool

There are many official 'branches' in various places all over the world...I enrolled in Kuala Kangsar...and renewals of my contract were done in Sheffield (I literally lived at the crossroads there...and was actually in charge of enrolling new applicants!)
Next time you're in KL, I'll take you to the Shah Alam branch!
Twisted Evil
Back to top
afiqme
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 05 Dec 2003
Location: Kuala Lumpur

yaaaa!!! LANEY MXD120H + HCM 4X12 cabinet..... haw haw haw Wink Wink
_________________
Entwistle custom guitar pickups - Click here!

Private guitar lesson - Batu Caves/Gombak/KL/Shah Alam:
http://afiqmemusic.blogspot.com

My other blog: Click here!
Back to top
deadzid
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Joined: 13 Feb 2004
Location: Shah Alam

my one and only practice amp -> Squier 15W... bought it about 10 years ago... still works just fine!

hmm about Laney... hari ahad lepas aku masuk final round battle of the bands kat serdang and they provide us with Laney amp (tak ingat model apa)... at first memang susah nak dapat sound yg aku prefer utk match dgn Warlock aku ni, maybe sbb aku dah biasa dgn Peavey Bandit 112 yg aku selalu guna kat jamming studio.. finally aku belasah je eq kat amp tu, and leave the rest to the sound engineer to do his magic on the mixer... amazingly after the show, my friends said my guitar sounded superb!! although i'm not very much satisfied with it...
_________________
> facebook
> youtube
> my-mic
> mockspecial.com
Back to top
Bode
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 03 Feb 2004

deadzid wrote:
my one and only practice amp -> Squier 15W... bought it about 10 years ago... still works just fine!

Aku still tak paham macamana kau dpt sound heavy giler kau dgn strat and Squier tu. Ni memang aku respek tabik hormat bro! You really can squeeze the best out of your gear...an intelligent gear user you are!

At the same time I'm seeing some guys using the Rectifier with branded 'heavy' looking guitars...tapi bunyi macam gitar Sheila on 7 jer...he he he... Twisted Evil

Rock on deadzid! The metal is in your blood!!! Twisted Evil
Back to top
deadzid
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Joined: 13 Feb 2004
Location: Shah Alam

hehe thanx Bode, i think what make the shit sounded so hard n heavy is because of the old (discontinued model) Zoom 3030 efx processor i used... aku tak ingat setting dia, tapi yg aku perasan dia ada 3 setting utk amp simulation.. maybe that's what making the shit happens! (the amp simulation) heheh

Quote:
Amp simulator with "combo," "bright combo" and "stack" settings

_________________
> facebook
> youtube
> my-mic
> mockspecial.com
Back to top
Scumgrief
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 02 Mar 2004

Behringer GMX210

And the most important feature is the

This enables My V-Amp to act as the preamp for my Amp, bypassing all together the PreAmp on the GMX210. Giving me more tone options at my finger tips, so that I get to have all these

on 11
_________________
Can you feel the groove?
Back to top
MiN
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 01 Mar 2005

hey guys....

anyone ever heard of Cornford Amps? well...sure everyone here is talking mostly of Laney amps which i really like as well. Paul Gilbert uses Laney GH100L......

but theres a new amplifier called Cornford. Its British made and it really in my opinion is one of the best amps around.

Endorsee of this amps include the likes of Guthrie Govan and Richie Kotzen...two monster players in the world.

Gotta check it out.....its really expensive but damn its good
www.myspace.com/hazmin90
Back to top
Display posts from previous:
Post new topic  Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next Page 1 of 12

Jump to:

You cannot vote in polls in this forum

DAJ Glass template by Dustin Baccetti
EQ graphic based off of a design from www.freeclipart.nu