back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

What do I need to consider before buying a Ukulele? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
candormusic1
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: What do I need to consider before buying a Ukulele? Reply with quote

A simple intro on the Ukulele: It is a small stringed lute instrument, gained popularity in America in the 1920s. A staple of vaudeville performers and Tin Pan Alley songwriters, it's most recognizable as a Hawaiian instrument, popularized in the music of Don Ho. One of them who made it famous was Elvis himself.

Or if you want something more recent you'd have Stafford from the band Train playing the Uke in the song "Hey, Soul Sister".

The ukulele comes in four sizes: soprano, concert, tenor and baritone. Read on to learn how to buy a ukulele.

Instructions
1. Never buy the cheapest model you can find. Determine your budget. If you are new to the ukulele, consider a less expensive model. However, don't buy the cheapest model you can find. A poorly built instrument can make learning difficult.

2. Shop for a ukulele that is crafted from solid wood. These produce the best sound and stay in good condition longer. Ukuleles made from cheap, thin wood glued together don't have the tone and resonance of a real wood body instrument, and plastic ukuleles are usually sold as toys or novelties. Those are toys, not musical instruments!

3. Contact a ukulele club or musician in your area for tips on where to buy the best instrument. Since ukuleles aren't carried at major musical instrument chain stores, you will have to go to a specialty guitar or stringed instrument shop. One you can contact is Candor Music!

4. Play the ukulele before you buy it. The feel of an instrument in your hands is different for each individual, and a ukulele that looks good in a store window may not feel good in your hands. Fret board size and smoothness differs depending on the manufacturer and size of the instrument. There are mainly 4 sizes of Ukes: Soprano (Smallest), Concert, Tenor and Baritone (Largest). You will also need to check the tone of a ukulele by playing a song or two before buy it. A good musical instrument feels comfortable in your hands.

5. Finally, have the salesperson play a snippet of a song on a ukulele for you! Most ukulele dealers will be glad to do this for you. Be certain that you try it out yourself too!

Interested to know more? Got any more questions? Speak your mind by replying or sending a PM to us!

The Ukulele is truly a beautiful, unique and easy instrument to sound good with. Here are some links to show you what a Uke can do:

Somewhere over the Rainbow - Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwoʻole

8 year old covers Train, Hey Soul Sister!

The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
tel: +603-62079808
fax: +603-62079807
e-mail : info@candormusic.com.my
eniQma
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Korek

Very Happy

nice tips!

Cool

If METALLICA Kill em' ALL
Facebook kill I-bands.net... true story
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Jump to: