back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Malaysian Child Pianist « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Bode
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Malaysian Child Pianist Reply with quote

MALAYSIAN CHILD PIANIST (Sorry, link not working anymore, please refer to the next post)

Last edited by Bode on Thu May 07, 2009 7:48 am; edited 2 times in total
synthdude1
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Congrats on Jr. achievements, Doc! Reply with quote

Just in case the story disappears from the site...

Quote:
Malaysia's little Beethoven

By Joseph Kaos Jr Malay Mail online March 24, 2009 Categories: News

IT took a family holiday for Tengku Dr Ahmad Shahrizal Omar to discover that his 10-year-old son, Tengku Ahmad Irfan, was a gifted muscian.

Tengku Dr Shahrizal already knew that Tengku Irfan was a talented pianist but that recent three-day trip to Penang showed he was much more than that.

Noticing Tengku Irfan was bored and missing his piano, Shahrizal bought a manuscript book to help him pass the time. To his great surprise, the result was a 29-minute piano composition.

“What was even more surprising was that when I asked him if he knew the duration of the track, my son replied ‘roughly 28 minutes’," said Tengku Dr Shahrizal, a surgeon who is also a well-known guitarist.

“When we got home and Irfan played his composition, it played out to 29 minutes. This means that the boy already had the song all played out in his head before even getting to the piano!”

If certificates are proof of talent, Tengku Irfan has that too. Two years ago he was awarded the certificate of excellence in solo piano by the Trinity Guildhall of London when he sat for his Grade 5 examination.

In a month’s time, the Year Five student of SK Sri Petaling will sit for his Grade 8 examination — and he only joined a music school three years ago.

His talent has impressed others too, like the Yamaha music store owner. Tengku Irfan tried out a piano there and not long after the owner hired him on short notice to fill in for another musician. Tengku Irfan gave
a 30-minute solo show that dazzled the audience.

His music teacher, Estelle Tan, has only praise for him. “The child is gifted. His intelligence in music surpasses many of his age. He is also a hardworking and obedient student. To add to that, his parents are very encouraging.” Irfan cites Beethoven, Chopin and Schubert as his musical heroes.

“I learnt a lot of their works,” he said.

“I don’t really listen to much pop music.” Dad Tengku Dr Shahrizal, who is with the University Malaya Medical Centre (UMMC), has played guitar with many big name artistes, including Anuar Zain.

His latest work can be found in Datuk Siti Nurhaliza’s most recent album.

What's next for Tengku Irfan?

He wants to make music his life but Tengku Dr Shahrizal is not so sure — because Tengku Irfan is also doing well in school.

“He has my encouragement all the same. What matters is my children are happy with what they choose to do,” said Tengku Dr Shahrizal, whose daughter Tengku Hana Shafika, nine, also plays the piano but appears to be more keen on the violin.
Bode
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Congrats on Jr. achievements, Doc! Reply with quote

Thanks synthdude1!

Bro! Never thought I'd still bump into you here!...and...yours has gotta be one of the coolest avatar I've seen on the net Wink

Last edited by Bode on Thu May 07, 2009 7:51 am; edited 2 times in total
Erylasia
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Dua Orang mamat kat atas nih,, sangat susah nak nampak sekarang Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Erylasia
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Congrats on Jr. achievements, Doc! Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

synthdude1 wrote:
Just in case the story disappears from the site...

Quote:
Malaysia's little Beethoven

By Joseph Kaos Jr March 24, 2009 Categories: News

IT took a family holiday for Tengku Dr Ahmad Shahrizal Omar to discover that his 10-year-old son, Tengku Ahmad Irfan, was a gifted muscian.

Tengku Dr Shahrizal already knew that Tengku Irfan was a talented pianist but that recent three-day trip to Penang showed he was much more than that.

Noticing Tengku Irfan was bored and missing his piano, Shahrizal bought a manuscript book to help him pass the time. To his great surprise, the result was a 29-minute piano composition.

“What was even more surprising was that when I asked him if he knew the duration of the track, my son replied ‘roughly 28 minutes’," said Tengku Dr Shahrizal, a surgeon who is also a well-known guitarist.

“When we got home and Irfan played his composition, it played out to 29 minutes. This means that the boy already had the song all played out in his head before even getting to the piano!”

If certificates are proof of talent, Tengku Irfan has that too. Two years ago he was awarded the certificate of excellence in solo piano by the Trinity Guildhall of London when he sat for his Grade 5 examination.

In a month’s time, the Year Five student of SK Sri Petaling will sit for his Grade 8 examination — and he only joined a music school three years ago.

His talent has impressed others too, like the Yamaha music store owner. Tengku Irfan tried out a piano there and not long after the owner hired him on short notice to fill in for another musician. Tengku Irfan gave
a 30-minute solo show that dazzled the audience.

His music teacher, Estelle Tan, has only praise for him. “The child is gifted. His intelligence in music surpasses many of his age. He is also a hardworking and obedient student. To add to that, his parents are very encouraging.” Irfan cites Beethoven, Chopin and Schubert as his musical heroes.

“I learnt a lot of their works,” he said.

“I don’t really listen to much pop music.” Dad Tengku Dr Shahrizal, who is with the University Malaya Medical Centre (UMMC), has played guitar with many big name artistes, including Anuar Zain.

His latest work can be found in Datuk Siti Nurhaliza’s most recent album.

What's next for Tengku Irfan?

He wants to make music his life but Tengku Dr Shahrizal is not so sure — because Tengku Irfan is also doing well in school.

“He has my encouragement all the same. What matters is my children are happy with what they choose to do,” said Tengku Dr Shahrizal, whose daughter Tengku Hana Shafika, nine, also plays the piano but appears to be more keen on the violin.

As usual, they forgot the photo!

Brilliant young boy!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bode
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erylasia wrote:
Dua Orang mamat kat atas nih,, sangat susah nak nampak sekarang Very Happy

Very Happy
fish
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bode, IIRC you are a "Tengku", a doctor (surgeon?) and a famous guitarist. Is that your son? Just wondering and kaypoh a bit... haha
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish wrote:
Bode, IIRC you are a "Tengku", a doctor (surgeon?) and a famous guitarist. Is that your son? Just wondering and kaypoh a bit... haha

Yes la...pecah tembelang...he's my son. He is now performing under the Malaysian Philharmonic Orchestra Encounter performances.

P.S. I'm NOT famous la Smile
fish
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bullseye!!! Like father like son. Maybe son is better coz he has faster learning process & gifted? Haha.... Anyway, I wish my son is like that. Since I'm not a doctor, I should have a married a doctor la. Damn!

I'm sure you are very proud of your son. Send my regards to him. Salute!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish wrote:
Bullseye!!! Like father like son. Maybe son is better coz he has faster learning process & gifted? Haha.... Anyway, I wish my son is like that. Since I'm not a doctor, I should have a married a doctor la. Damn!

I'm sure you are very proud of your son. Send my regards to him. Salute!

I will and thanks much bro. I cant even put myself in comparison with him because his level of musicianship is way way too far above mine...and I'm not talking about when I was his age, even now I cant even dream to reach anywhwere near his level. Smile

Actually everybody have got a gift in them, only that some found it and some are not aware of it.
Like a person learning the guitar and not doing that well may assume that they dont have the talent, whereas they didnt realise that they may do very well in another instrument or maybe in a diff field altogether, like sports or photography etc.

The lucky ones are the ones who manage to find out what their gifts are.
But everyone is gifted in something. Smile
RIXAL
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bro Bode, long time no see. Can see your kids dah besar panjang and great to know that they inherit your musical talents. Mana tumpah kuah kalau tak ke nasik ye he he he...
soundfreak22nd
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice story bro bode.. bole bekenalan dgn ur son tak? hehe ..
Bode
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIXAL wrote:
Bro Bode, long time no see. Can see your kids dah besar panjang and great to know that they inherit your musical talents. Mana tumpah kuah kalau tak ke nasik ye he he he...

RIZAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My old comrade back in the mid 90's when Extreme has not broken up yet! Apa khabar? Engkau kat KL ka sekarang?

Thanks for your kind words bro...we must catch up!
Bode
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

soundfreak22nd wrote:
nice story bro bode.. bole bekenalan dgn ur son tak? hehe ..

Thanks bro! Boleh! Smile

Anyway, the article here has been updated with the actual pic on the Malay Mail Online page on 24th March 2009 (please refer the second post in this thread.)
Thanks! Smile
RIXAL
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bode wrote:
RIXAL wrote:

RIZAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My old comrade back in the mid 90's when Extreme has not broken up yet! Apa khabar? Engkau kat KL ka sekarang?

Thanks for your kind words bro...we must catch up!

Definitely bro. I'm based in KK but once in a while turun KL jugak. I'll give you a ring if ever come down to KayEL. Ur no is 019****105 ka? If not just email me your hp no to rabanjaratgmaildotcom.

Since you mentioned Extreme, those were the times when Spice Girls were no.1 and Oasis were bracing guitarist magazines...

Jump to: