back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Post new topic  Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2  Next
 ANYONE OUT THERE WHO'S INTO RUSH? « View previous topic :: View next topic »
Author Message
kudo
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:25 pm    Post subject: ANYONE OUT THERE WHO'S INTO RUSH? Reply with quote

Joined: 23 Mar 2004
Location: sheffield, england

i have been listening to some of their stuff from their 1993 roll the bones album ages ago. picked it up again sometime this year and now i'm totally hooked, esp listening to their live stuff on their 1997 live album and the recently released rush in rio dvd! for a three-piece they bloody well rock!!!! inspirational!

any of you i-banders out there listen to this canadian prog rockers?

_________________
"my small self...like a book amongst the many on a shelf.."

"Welcome to Tube Club. The first rule of Tube Club: you do not talk about solid state." -The Uncle

Back to top
Bode
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 03 Feb 2004

Fucking hell man....RUSH is the business...been a big fan of them since I was 14 yrs old...but I'm more familiar of their earlier era...I'm not that familiar with their work after 1987 onwards...educate me pleez...

YYZ (Have you listend to the Dream Theatre version covering this tune)?
Red Barchetta
Tom Sawyer
Closer to the Heart
The Spirit of Radio

...amongst my favourites..there are many more of course...
Back to top
kudo
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 23 Mar 2004
Location: sheffield, england

why am i not surprised? its bode!!

i started listening to the roll the bones album in 93 from a mate's cd. was impressed with the music esp the drumming by neil peart because someone in a mag mentioned peart's drumming was phenomenal.

the newer stuff i only gleaned from their 97 live album and it was only like last month i actually sat down and listened to it. they've got about 25 albums in their backcatalog and the first thing i bought was 2112 in vinyl! shit, man.. that album was made in 1975/6 but it sounded so now!!

i am going to see them in birmingham this sept for their 30th anniv tour, last time they were here was in 93.
_________________
"my small self...like a book amongst the many on a shelf.."

"Welcome to Tube Club. The first rule of Tube Club: you do not talk about solid state." -The Uncle

Back to top
erotomania
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 05 Feb 2004

hey there,
yeah RUSH is one of the best ever, Roll the bones? Err.. not an instant classic but ok I guess!

Bode mentioned some hits and you can't go wrong there!

Go for the mid-period when they were prime, definitely the most 'accessible' is Moving Pictures with such hits as Red Barchetta, Limelight, Tom Sawyer, I'd recommend getting that one FIRST! I wish I did! Then Permanent waves, Hemispheres, and Farewell To Kings.

Earlier than that was a bit Led-Zeppish! Later than that it got pretty weird, dare I say...'grunge'?? But they had some nice synth stuff happening (depending on who you ask) in the late 80s.

The attraction is of course Neil Peart, now I know where Portnoy got his chops! And Geddy, he plays bass, keys, and Taurus pedals live! Shocked Get the DVDs if you can, it's worth it!!

bode: yes YYZ off the DT Berklee sessions! Razz
_________________
http://mindcontrolled.bravehost.com
http://www.i-bands.net/audiovault/bands/131/
Back to top
Bode
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 03 Feb 2004

I knew erotomania would response to this!!! Laughing
Good to see some people here with the same taste for virtuoso rock...
Back to top
kudo
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 23 Mar 2004
Location: sheffield, england

cheers for the tip erotomania! (from your callsign/nick, you must be aDT fan!)

ya, i reckoned that roll the bones may not be the dog's bollocks esp in the grander scale of things that is rush! it was my first exposure to their music and it blew me away. well, if it took that album to do that, after discovering their other signature tunes in their 1997 'different stages' live album, i was definitely a new fan!

i have their 'rush in rio' dvd, and i was pretty much gobsmacked. by any chance do you know how geddy executes the keyboard stuff while playing the bass? i noticed some bass pedals (are those the taurus thingies you mentioned?). if geddy actually triggers the keyboard sequences with some kind of footswitch, he must have a brilliant sense of timing cos if you imagine the whole band has to be in time, esp with their kind of paying. and he sings too....does he have three brains Laughing ?

for their earlier stuff i'm planning to get them in vinyl. i am basically rummaging thru record shops for their backcatalog. albums from the 90s i'll get the cd's. should be cheap on the net!

anyway, if you have any more gems to share please do!
_________________
"my small self...like a book amongst the many on a shelf.."

"Welcome to Tube Club. The first rule of Tube Club: you do not talk about solid state." -The Uncle

Back to top
kudo
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: neil peart's dw drum set Reply with quote

Joined: 23 Mar 2004
Location: sheffield, england

oh ya..just to give us all a headache, take a look at neil's drum kit!

his drum solos are really good and bearable, as compared to some skinbashers that i've seen!!

_________________
"my small self...like a book amongst the many on a shelf.."

"Welcome to Tube Club. The first rule of Tube Club: you do not talk about solid state." -The Uncle

Back to top
deadzid
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Joined: 13 Feb 2004
Location: Shah Alam

alright, alright, you old-time rockers... sorry to change the topic away from Rush... but what about this very old female rock band HEART? Anybody dig this chick band?

started listening to this band when i first discovered their single video clip Alone, then i started looking for this band's album.. luckily i found a cd which contains a collection of all Heart's album in mp3's (from the 70's till late 90's)! Whoa how cool is that!! And i was like a HEART freak at that time, i know every single song on that cd!

That story was like a couple of years ago, currently i'm listening to Belinda Carlisle! hahaha...! I just love the 80's, man!
_________________
> facebook
> youtube
> my-mic
> mockspecial.com
Back to top
kudo
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 23 Mar 2004
Location: sheffield, england

hahahaha. lari topic brader!!

heart is ok. well my knowledge of their stuff is very limited. used to own a cassette of that album that you displayed in yr msg! i know for a fact that they arre from seattle and they pretty much rocked in the 70s. they are doing a new album now apparently after 10 yrs. nancy wilson has been busy with music for her husband's (cameron crowe) movies.

anyway, back up north in canada now! its time to talk more about rush!!

btw, i have seen belinda carlisle in her birthday suit in playboy a few yrs back! nuff said.. Twisted Evil
_________________
"my small self...like a book amongst the many on a shelf.."

"Welcome to Tube Club. The first rule of Tube Club: you do not talk about solid state." -The Uncle

Back to top
erotomania
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 05 Feb 2004

so you fellas read me like an open book Surprised

you know Krik i haven't heard of Rush in Rio, but Exit Stage Left & Show of Hands are 2 videos which i enjoy watching over & over...

Live, Geddy would alternate between his bass and a Moog, or Oberheim. Then use the Taurus pedals occasionally when he plays bass. I think Alex also plays them. They are just single-note, like the organ pedals? to 'fill out the sound' so I've read. Later on he got MIDI controller pedals and more canggih synths which I suppose made life a lot easier! Yes for a 3-piece it's inspiring to see how they do so many things at once

I'm not a RUSH expert by a long shot, but see if you can find this book 'Merely Players' which contains detailed info on their gear for each album, lyrics, lots & lots of quotes, tour dates, set lists...etc. Exclamation
_________________
http://mindcontrolled.bravehost.com
http://www.i-bands.net/audiovault/bands/131/
Back to top
erotomania
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 05 Feb 2004

deadzid wrote:
alright, alright, you old-time rockers... sorry to change the topic away from Rush... but what about this very old female rock band HEART? Anybody dig this chick band?

Actually they're not so bad, though I can't recall the titles one of their songs has that mysterious riff!! Please shoot me some titles... damn!!

What I do remember about Nancy Wilson though is that she is the wife of ex-rock journalist turned filmmaker Cameron Crowe (Almost Famous) just a little bit of rock trivia folks!
_________________
http://mindcontrolled.bravehost.com
http://www.i-bands.net/audiovault/bands/131/
Back to top
kudo
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 23 Mar 2004
Location: sheffield, england

thanks mate!

btw, i went to amazon and the book aint in print anymore!! damn..

_________________
"my small self...like a book amongst the many on a shelf.."

"Welcome to Tube Club. The first rule of Tube Club: you do not talk about solid state." -The Uncle

Back to top
Bode
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 03 Feb 2004

I just wanna say that this is a really fucking cool thread!!!
80's time warp rules!!!

I love Heart!!! That album deadzid got on his post is a damn classic. I love 'Bad Animals' too!
Back to top
kudo
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 23 Mar 2004
Location: sheffield, england

bad animals? that's us...

hehehehe...

its also the name of a studio in seattle!!
_________________
"my small self...like a book amongst the many on a shelf.."

"Welcome to Tube Club. The first rule of Tube Club: you do not talk about solid state." -The Uncle

Back to top
deadzid
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Joined: 13 Feb 2004
Location: Shah Alam

Alright!! thanx guys for that old update about HEART!! aku langsung tak tau perkembangan dia orang, harap dengar lagu je hahaha....

krik wrote:
btw, i have seen belinda carlisle in her birthday suit in playboy a few yrs back! nuff said..

kongsi laa bersama rakan2 di sini.. hehehe takkan makan sorang je kot!

Okay, back to the main topic - RUSH... shoot!
_________________
> facebook
> youtube
> my-mic
> mockspecial.com
Back to top
Display posts from previous:
Post new topic  Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2  Next Page 1 of 2

Jump to:

You cannot vote in polls in this forum

DAJ Glass template by Dustin Baccetti
EQ graphic based off of a design from www.freeclipart.nu