back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Spinal Tap-style shred guitar video « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
synthdude
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Spinal Tap-style shred guitar video Reply with quote

Arrow http://www.metalmethod.com/audio-video/guitar-lesson-03.wmv

Last edited by synthdude on Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
gapster
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoa..i like his guitar..what guitar is that ah ..

anyway..how the hell he make his tone(especially the sweeps) sound so round on a bridge pickup Question

Bode
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gapster wrote:

anyway..how the hell he make his tone(especially the sweeps) sound so round on a bridge pickup Question

Ahah...we were just talking about this the other day!
I figured it out. Tried a coupla things and managed to find at least 2 reasons on getting that 'roundness'.

1. Look at where he picks.
He picks closer to the neck pickup. Tony McAlpine has also once quoted that that's the way he gets the 'round' tone. I tired to check my own right hand technique and found out that I pick closer to the bridge pickup, thus resulting in a sharper tone. Anyway, like i told you, I'm sticking with my own way, though it ain't 'round', I just wanna maintain my identity in some way.

2. What you use.
I can go into detail about how the low frequency curves of the guitar tone before it is distorted by the pre-amp are one of the major actors on why different pre-amps sound different, be it solid state or tube, but I will spare the boring physics lecture!
Just to make it simple, This is what I've found out (but of course, with respect to my playing, and in no way am I saying that a similar scenario will result in other people's playing):
I get the 'round' tone with these equipment (even with my picking style):
Boss DS-1
Rat
Ampeg amps (that model that Paul Gilbert used in circa 1992)
Old Laney's
Marshall JCM 900
Rivera Knucklehead
Guitar Rig plug in

I get a sharper tone with these:
The newer Laney's
Marshall JCM 800 and Valvestates
Marshall JMP-1 pre-amp
Peavey's

You might experience the opposite, but my point is that these 2 factors do significantly decide on whether or not you get a 'round' or 'sharp' general tone.
When it comes to the low frequency curves of the guitar sound before it hits the pre-amp stage, what this determines can't be changed much by tone controls in most cases because in most amps, the tone controls appear after the pre-amp stage. Mind you where you pick drastically alters these aspect of the guitar tone!
My Peavey Pro-fex allows me the freedom to customize all these characteristics plus also mould the tone before and after the pre-amp stage, thuis giving me more freedom with tone shaping.

Nevertheless, I'm still sticking with my sharp tone! Smile People will say, "...urrghh...that sounds 'orrible...must be Bode then!" Very Happy
As long as I a me Smile

Happy tone shaping!
Ridzi
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I want a round tone, my method is rolling off the tone knob slightly, using the neck pickup and use a Fuzz pedal e.g an Arbiter Fuzz or a Big Muff Pi. Usually the result is that creamy violin-like tone not that different to James Iha's (Smashing Pumpkins) tone.

I just love this kinda roundness in tone as it always cuts through the mix cleanly without smothering the rhythm tracks.

Of course you can also alter you original's guitar tone with an simple EQ pedal before you put the signal anywhere else, plus that can also act as a 'boost switch' when switching between your rhythm and lead tones when you are playing live. Recomended pedals are the BOSS GE7 pedal or a T.C Electronic Intergrated Preamplifier pedal.

I would also like to reinforce what Bode has mentioned about the role of amplifiers in the tone outcome. In my experience speakers play the biggest role in shaping your tone. V30's and Greenbacks are the speakers that tend to be rounder in tone. For example, Marshall stock cabs tend to be strong in the middle towards treble region, with less emphasis on the bass side, and tends to colour your tone to be slightly sharper. THis is true for the 1960A and 1960B cabinets which use G12T-70W speakers.

To achieve a rounder tone, there are two methods that i know A) modifying the cab to make it bigger and B) changing the speaker cones. Option A is a difficult and expensive process, as cabs are actually made according some calculations in relation of note resonance and can be disastrous in the hands of the inexperienced. Option B costs less, and much easier to execute. Just slam in some Celestion V30's or Greenbacks (Metallica does this - but in Mesa Boogie 4x12 cabs) and voila you are in business!!!!

I find that a lot of my fellow sweep-picking masters love this tone for its clarity note for note. But this tone is really for those who can really play cleanly and not for those who are sloppy at sweep-picking as every mistake will be heard.

Hope this has helped in your quest for that elusive tone which IMHO does not exist Smile ....im still looking for the tone and my efforts are proving to be futile Laughing

/ridzi
gapster
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pawns!!! Cool

i usually pick at THE NECK ..with neck pickup some more ..duno why
for me it is just a preferance ..

anyway..bode..whats your opinion on players who pick like you..closer to the bridge..and players to pick on the neck eg.jason becker..and me Very Happy
which one is harder ? which is a better choice for versetility etc

Ridzi
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^Either way you pick, i feel it's just down to which method of picking you feel comfortable with. Neither is harder relatively, it's all down to the individual.

/ridzi
Bode
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gapster wrote:
pawns!!! Cool

i usually pick at THE NECK ..with neck pickup some more ..duno why
for me it is just a preferance ..

anyway..bode..whats your opinion on players who pick like you..closer to the bridge..and players to pick on the neck eg.jason becker..and me Very Happy
which one is harder ? which is a better choice for versetility etc

I think it's best you get comfortable with both techniques. There's no right or wrong...just diff techniques for diff tones. So that you can coax a rainbow of different tones according to your liking. I've been experimenting with both....see...it's cool if you can make a bridge pickup sound like a neck and vice versa...that way you get more versatile with shaping the tone with your fingers rather than depending on gear alone. I pick closer to the bridge and that's my signature tone...but I do feel that I should explore your technique as well to learn how to get your round tone...the learning process never stops! Very Happy

Jump to: