back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Guitar Challenge ( Colorado Bulldog) « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
MiN
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Guitar Challenge ( Colorado Bulldog) Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I've discussed this topic with bro Bode in another forum.

Jom kita cuba main solo intro lagu Colorado Bulldog. With those wide intervals and position shifts.

bro Bode tolong paste die punya tab untuk member2 kita nih aku tak reti nak letak dalam nih.

aku belum lagi praktis lagu nih sebab byk kerja......so those of you shredders out there this is a challenge....bro Bode challenged me to play this lick with modifications on the fingering....but i wont do it...i mean i wont try to modify those fingerings to make it easy...i would try to play it like Paul Gilbert does it originally.

Jom semua....mari kita shred.
Erylasia
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

idea yang menarik!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bode
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok...it started like this...MiN was thinking that small Asian hands wouldnt be able to play the intro to Mr. Big's 'Colorado Bulldog', while I didnt think so. This was my reply:

My point is…Colorado Bulldog is not difficult because of the stretches, but because of the quick positional shifts and the right-left hand coordination required for the alternate picking…and frankly Min, I’ve heard you done some alternate picking licks which are at least as difficult as this one, and I’m confident that you can nail this lick by the next 2-3 days or even earlier. C’mon la Min…I have such high hopes for you…you are talented and has the ability to be technically scary….it’s only this ‘easily give up’ attitude which is going to stop you from being somebody at the level of Guthrie Govan. I know you don’t intend to take up guitar playing professionally, but it’s such a waste of good talent in you man. Remember…break the shackles…don’t be scared to try something which nobody has done before…if you still cant do it, then figure out alternatives to realise that terror lick in your head. Jake E. Lee has got small hands…so to achieve some wide stretches, he even played with his thumb on the fretboard. Tony Iommi lost his fingertips in an accident…but that didn’t stop him from creating a whole new generation of metal bands…what about Django Reinhart…or even the blind Jeff Healey? If he cant play normally, he plays with his guitar on his lap and the fretting hand on the fretboard. If these players were to think that just because nobody have done it, then it is impossible, then they wouldnt be the legends that they are now. BREAK THE SHACKLES man…if not for this attitude in some of the pioneers, then there wouldn’t be string skipping/8 fingered tapping etc. etc. I don’t see the reason why YOU cant be the next guy starting something new which will be copied by younger guitarists. I know you are not a full time guitar player...but at the same time, it's not that you are studying medicine or a full time surgeon right? So you got no excuse to not be able to practice at least 2-3 hours a week....which is the opportunity that I'm dying to have! . I remember after completing medical school, I nearly enrolled into The Musicians Institute...was seriously discussing this with Shaun Baxter...lol! But of course , if I did that JPA will sue my ass! But that's another story...

I tell you what…rather than just sit and wait for somebody with small hands to execute Colorado Bulldog’s intro, why don’t you do it, because I’m confident that you will nail it because you are the most likely person to be able to nail it…you don’t even have to cheat (like what you mentioned earlier in your post) because it's not as impossibly hard as you think...esp for somebody with your technical skills…(actually, the word ‘cheating’ on guitar is subjective…flamenco players can accuse alternate pickers as cheaters because they need to use this piece of plastic which we call a ‘pick’ to play fast)…or better still, create a lick which is as difficult as that one, but your own.

Record your version of 'Colorado...", upload it to my guitar reviews section on i-bands and I will review it.

Whaddya think?

This is the tab:

If you take the lick that I circled, and duplicate the lick again, only this time starting on the 5th string at the 7th fret (instead of originally on the 4th string at the 2nd fret, which involves a wide stretch), the circled segment should be easier to play because of the less need to stretch as wide. At the end of the 'shifted' circled segment, you need to skip from the 4th string at the 17th fret to the 2nd string at the 12th fret in order to continue the rest of the lick, which pretty much occupies the region above the 12th fret, and doesnt require as much stretching.
So, you get to play the lick unaltered at all, but with less stretching.

Still, given the choice, I would personally still prefer to do the original fingering...just get used to the wide stretch, and shouldnt be too painful...always warm up fully first before attempting these wide stretches.

Ok...so guys...get down with your metronomes! Smile But I'm out of this! Smile Why wouldnt I practice this? Well...even Paul Gilbert says this is one of his most difficult lick ever. I believe, with diligence and time, anybody can do it. But for me, to spend time on something so difficult, I would rather spend the time practicing something which is my own...so in the end of all that torture, I end up with something which is mine...rather than nail something which belongs to Paul Gilbert...esp for me when I work 15 hrs a day...that leaves little time for me to do anything else.

...But for those who have the time, this is a great exercise which improves your alternate picking and stretching...so...what are you waiting for? Smile

Last edited by Bode on Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
MiN
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah,

who can do it originally i salute you! i know that modifying the fingering would be a bit easier but lets try do it the Paul Gilbert way.

Those with small fingers try to the limit. those with long fingers good luck. my fingers are medium size. different people different limitations...if you cant do it then perhaps like bro Bode suggested try to modify the fingerings and play it higher up the neck but that would not be the challenge although its still technically difficult.

i told bro Bode if i can do it i belanja him nasi goreng....but i guess bro Bode should belanja me western food if i get it.

its still a myth for me since i havent seen a melayu play the original fingerings like Paul Gilbert.
kudo
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wooo. colorado bulldog....

i have an ancient recording of my brother and his mates (all melayu) jamming for the fun of it like some time in 97 or 98. in a small hall of a (malaysian) university somewhere up north Very Happy . this was in front of a few friends, after hours. recorded using a walkman, so no comments about how the guitars should be panned more to the left aaa?

care to have a listen?

Arrow click here.

this is no way an entry in the ibands colorado bulldog sesh, just a light preamble to the more serious things that you guys will be doing later on! Laughing

"Welcome to Tube Club. The first rule of Tube Club: you do not talk about solid state." -The Uncle

gapster
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2-5-7

4-7-9

7-9-12

^this are the hard streching licks izzit? it is almost imposible to alternate pick it because my damn pinky is less than 4cm ..imagine how small my hands are..

well but it is still playable..IMO to hell with what paul gilbert does..

aihhh...well i agree with bode.there is no rule for music

i think i can nail that whole lick 2-5 -7 (tap) ..and make the whole thing a tapping thing
will try it if i have the time Cool

Bode
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gapster...try my suggestion la...the one which starts on 5th string at the 7th fret (see the circled portion...just replicate that same lick higher up). In fact you can even start higher up on the 6th string...so that you dont need to stertch so much...but you will have string skipping hell coming up later to join up the later part of the lick...

Last edited by Bode on Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:35 am; edited 1 time in total
synthdude
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Good idea guys, but... Reply with quote

Sorry to rain on your parade... The issue of using copyrighted material without the artists' permission at i-bands.net has set off some alarm bells of late. And it's possible we're being closely monitored for copyright infringement as the site becomes more popular.

We have to face reality: No other legit indie site has allowed the use of copyrighted material, basically because it's AGAINST THE LAW!.

So, to avoid putting the site in jeopardy and ensure no complications over copyright arise in future, from Nov. 1, 2005, all copyrighted songs (covers) will not be allowed at i-bands.net, unless they have the wriitten permission of the artists concerned.

These include portions (guitar solos, sampled passages etc) or extracts taken illegally from copyrighted songs.

We're also fast running out of space for storage (in case you're unaware, we're a self-funded site) so we have no choice but to remove unlicensed cover songs and other copyrighted material that have already been uploaded at i-bands.net.

We also want to encourage and motivate musicians to come up with original stuff and their own ideas for collaborative efforts.

So, please think of this as a challenge and work with us to create repertoire that's truly original, and as Malaysian as it can possibly be.

<b>On behalf of the i-bands Administration,</b>
Erylasia
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

oit,.. lupa,... i-bands nak semua yg original material sekarang ni,.. ahaks.,,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bode
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Good idea guys, but... Reply with quote

synthdude wrote:
Sorry to rain on your parade... The issue of using copyrighted material without the artists' permission at i-bands.net has set off some alarm bells of late. And it's possible we're being closely monitored for copyright infringement as the site becomes more popular.

We have to face reality: No other legit indie site has allowed the use of copyrighted material, basically because it's AGAINST THE LAW!.

So, to avoid putting the site in jeopardy and ensure no complications over copyright arise in future, from Nov. 1, 2005, all copyrighted songs (covers) will not be allowed at i-bands.net, unless they have the wriitten permission of the artists concerned.

These include portions (guitar solos, sampled passages etc) or extracts taken illegally from copyrighted songs.

We're also fast running out of space for storage (in case you're unaware, we're a self-funded site) so we have no choice but to remove unlicensed cover songs and other copyrighted material that have already been uploaded at i-bands.net.

We also want to encourage and motivate musicians to come up with original stuff and their own ideas for collaborative efforts.

So, please think of this as a challenge and work with us to create repertoire that's truly original, and as Malaysian as it can possibly be.

<b>On behalf of the i-bands Administration,</b>

Thanks for the reminder synthdude!

Yes dudes...take this 'Colorado Bulldog' thingy as a personal practice challenge for our technical self growth as a musician, but dont upload the solo up! Smile
If you can do it, we believe you! Smile
synthdude
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject: There might be a way around this... Reply with quote

Perhaps it can be categorised as a guitar lesson and uploaded in the Audio Tutorial section, though we have to consult Mr. G on the matter.

Also, we're planning to hold a series of workshops in the coming months, including guitar clinics, so you will have plenty of opportunities to expand on the discussions at the forum.

Cheers.
aB
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Guitar Challenge ( Colorado Bulldog) Reply with quote

MiN wrote:
Hi guys,

Jom kita cuba main solo intro lagu Colorado Bulldog. With those wide intervals and position shifts.

panggilan yang sungguh memberangsangkan! baru masuk office nak start monday.... dah rasa nak balik and start this finger gymnastics. have been procrastinating to do so... 10 tahun dah...

well... let's see ..... kena letak yoko2 siap siap ni....
MiN
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Guitar Challenge ( Colorado Bulldog) Reply with quote

aB wrote:
MiN wrote:
Hi guys,

panggilan yang sungguh memberangsangkan! baru masuk office nak start monday.... dah rasa nak balik and start this finger gymnastics. have been procrastinating to do so... 10 tahun dah...

well... let's see ..... kena letak yoko2 siap siap ni....

well bro aB lets make it a challenge.

if you can do it...bro Bode will belanja you nasi goreng....if i can do it bro Bode will belanja me western food.

oppsss...apsal bro Bode kena belanja lak?? kwkewkewkwek
Jailhouserock
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The intro of Colorado Bulldog is such a kick xxx solo and pretty challenging. I never try it before but I would love it, MiN!! I suggest you take a look at 'Terrifying Guitar Trip'. Paul demonstrate it on that video.

Because i-bands only allow original materials, you can upload the file at megaupload.com.

Good luck!!!
MiN
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jailhouserock,

Yeah I got a video of terryfying guitar trip.

If we can nail the Intro solo to Colorado Bulldog then i suggest we nail 'Scarified'

kwkekwekwkek

Jump to: