back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

How patriotic are Malaysians? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
totziens
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: How patriotic are Malaysians? Reply with quote

I noticed that the Indians (I am not talking about Malaysian Indians or American Indians...I am referring to Indians from India) were celebrating their national day in Malaysia by giving away cakes and they wore a tiny Indian flag being pinned on their shirts. I think none of the Malaysian would bother about our national day when we're in overseas. This leads to another question eventually among my colleagues as follows:

Will you fight for Malaysia if another country attacks? Even tiny nation like Singapore has a stronger millitary power. It's pathetic when the newspaper revealed our millitary power years ago. I am not criticising the country for the millitary budget...it has pros and cons in fact.

I know this is a very disturbing topic. I don't even know my own answer seriously - I know I may be a disappointment to some but I have some valid reasons.
omarjamaludin
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Admin
Site Admin

back in the states , we celebrated merdeka with bbq and stuff.. no fancy pins though..
totziens
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

omarjamaludin wrote:
back in the states , we celebrated merdeka with bbq and stuff.. no fancy pins though..

Hmm...food...I guess that's a typical malaysian way of celebrating something...hahaha (my former boss from US used to say that...he's a British in fact)
totziens
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite shocked that some people (non-malay)told me that they would try to run away to nearby countries or join the enemy if this happens......the reason is the government has not done enough for the non-malays (there're still a lot of prejudice because of the quota system) and a lot of non-Malay leaders are just doing stuff to benefit themselves rather than the community (Michael Chong is an exception. Unfotunately, he's not into politics).
adam
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

hmm..
http://www.myspace.com/flirtingwithsleep
totziens
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a worrying symptom the government should be worrying.....

I am not trying to give any credit to the PKM (Parti Komunis Malaya). They're assholes who killed innocent people but at least they (mostly non-Malays) would fight for the country (for the wrong reason perhaps). Our generation will just run away or join the enemy....scary
omarjamaludin
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Admin
Site Admin

hmm...i would like to say 'yeah man i'd die for malaysia etc bla bla' but in all honesty i wont exactly be the first person lining up at the army recruitment either...i can see why some ppl are feeling bit of disenfranchised(sp) bout being a malaysian and all..sometimes for some other reason i do feel that way too..but malaysia would always be my tanahair.. i'll die for my fellow countrymen..but not for my govt ha ha ha..
totziens
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sometimes I wonder whether it's because our country doesn't feel threatened by anyone...so we don't have that patriotic feeling.

You see.... the Indians will always be threatened by their surounding neighbours (they don't trust all the neighbours...an Indian national told me). The Indon may feel threatened by the Aussie (I don't know whether this is true though...just my opinion). Thai...they were threatened by the communist countries surrounding them just a few decades ago...I think they still don't trust the government of Myanmar.

Here...we don't have this kind of fear....

But comparing to developed countries, I have no doubt that their people are proud of their country.
Jeff
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

my times in australia during Merdeka day were always great. Malay and non-malay...we all made it into a big event every year, bands playing, shows showing, dancers dancing..and erm..lotsa beverages flowing. Very Happy
I always need a few days to recuperate from Merdeka night during then, pretty kick ass then. This one time we did a Rage Against the Machine cover right after the 12am countdown, "WE GOTTA TAKE THE POWER BACK!!!"... i never really understood why we did that..lol..but the crowd sure loved it..

Quote:
hmm...i would like to say 'yeah man i'd die for malaysia etc bla bla' but in all honesty i wont exactly be the first person lining up at the army recruitment either...i can see why some ppl are feeling bit of disenfranchised(sp) bout being a malaysian and all..sometimes for some other reason i do feel that way too..but malaysia would always be my tanahair.. i'll die for my fellow countrymen..but not for my govt ha ha ha..

I went to see a fortune teller once with an x girlfriend of mine, who can supposedly tell us what our past lives were, i went jsut for kicks...women tend to be generally interested when it comes to stuff like this. Well, seems like i was a war general, a Japanese samurai, a loyal soldier, and a rebel fighter...each of them died fighting and defending some cause...so she said. 'You have an old soul...' she siad, man that was so cliched i just had stop myself from laughing out loud. Wacky shit i tell you...but I have to agree that i tend to feel useless and depressed when im idle, without some bigger purpose.
But fight for malaysia? thats a long think for me...
totziens
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff wrote:
Well, seems like i was a war general, a Japanese samurai, a loyal soldier, and a rebel fighter...each of them died fighting and defending some cause...so she said. 'You have an old soul...' she siad, man that was so cliched i just had stop myself from laughing out loud.

"BAKA!!!!" does that sounds familiar to u?? I think u used to shout a lot of that word to your subordinates when u were a general....hahaha

well, I also have a weird feeling since I was a kid that I used to be a low ranking Japanese soldier (I think I was a kamikaze air force...maybe I watched too many world war 2 movies and documentaries) but I didn't want to go to war....I just wanted to be with my sweetheart in Japan. I was forced to fight. I had never returned from the war eventually. Maybe that explains why I am still scared of height today - must be the plane crash!!! haha

It's a weird feeling....when I visited Tokyo a few years ago. I thought I would be able to feel something from my past but I felt nothing. I still love the city though Very Happy

Hope Irene will read this and interpret all the hidden meaning for me Very Happy

ok...I write something which is out of the topic again....
HuntressM00n
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

yes i would fight for MALAYSIA...

because it gives me opportunity to kill my ex first.. i could easily justify that he tried to betray his own country thats why i shot his head 17 times.
totziens
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm....it gives me opportunities to kill my enemies too....just gimme the M16!!! Very Happy

irene...that's all??? thought u r gonna interpret something....Very Happy

Last edited by totziens on Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
HuntressM00n
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

AK47 ROCKS!
totziens
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah...AK47 is cooler...it won't jam...can use it to hit people.

M16 will jam because of dust...and can't use it to hit anyone...it may break....

That's one reason Vietnamese won the war....
totziens
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oi...Irene....u got nothing to write about our (Jeff and myself) Japanese soldiers stuff??? u are the fortune teller wor....

Jump to: