back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Side B (EP) « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
A Borderline Mixtape
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:05 am    Post subject: Side B (EP) Reply with quote

http://www.i-bands.net/audiovault/bands/1679/music.php

or

http://www.myspace.com/aborderlinemixtape
okta
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

hope seems to be a potential comercial song...

Smile

may i know where is this album produce?
A Borderline Mixtape
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We hope that means it's good! haha Smile

We recorded it in a studio in London. I think Jason (the engineer) used Cubase as the main program. If you want more info about equipment, we can post 'em up.
omarjamaludin
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Admin
Site Admin

i noticed this is not the same version of lollipop like the last time u guys recorded it right?..

lollipop still my fav song...the singer ( maybe it's you) surely knows how to sing melodically those lyrics rather than just singing something along the root chords like other ppl do..keep up the good work!
Jeff
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Make you stuff available here in Malaysia. Im waiting patiently here...
okta
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

the recording is ok..but i don't like the mix...
semua kejap kuat, kejap perlahan..
just my personal perference....

izzit a big studio or just a home recording kinda thing?
(if u don't mind me kaypoh...hehe:P)
omarjamaludin
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Admin
Site Admin

yeah i notice at some point of the song the bass is loud then guitar loud pula..the songs are still nice though..maybe you can level it abit more all the instruments?
A Borderline Mixtape
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Yes, Azlan tries really hard to work out melody lines..sometimes so hard that he doesn't get enough sleep..

You are correct, this is a diff. version..we decided to re-record it again, because we felt the timing was abit off for our last one. Plus, the drumming for the verse is much more fixed and controlled.

With regards to mixing, I'm not so sure what you mean here..can you specifically point out where the bass is louder, etc.? I mean, there are certain parts where we wanted the guitar to be louder to emphasize the point, (e.g, the verse needs a louder bass, chorus needs a loud guitar, outro needs a big guitar sound etc.)

The only thing we weren't completely happy with was the drum sound, cos we used an overhead mic to mic the toms and ride. There are times it's really hard to hear the toms, but we couldn't increase it cos otherwise..the ride would just be ridiculously loud.

-Izz (guitarist)
A Borderline Mixtape
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a very small studio workroom. I mean..we had a small rehearsal room..the drumkit was the only thing that could be heard acoustically..everything else was played through Line 6 pods to isolate the sounds. It was recorded into a mixing board i think..and mixing and mastering was done via Cubase.

Oh and Jeff, we will try and distribute our final EP when we come home during the Summer..which will probably contain:

- Kwik E Mart
- Surprise Surprise
- King Stroker
- Loveth
- Lollipop Boy
- Hope

We don't know what we're gonna call it, but Side A and Side B are like...demos just to test out what ppl think of our material..and once we get enough feedback which are the best tracks (which we feel are the ones mentioned above) then yeah, we'll probably figure out some way to promote it (although we're destined to fail, cos we're not good at that sort of thing LOL)
okta
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

hope..
the front part is nice...after 1:00 the vocal can come upfront a lot...especially when the 2nd vocals comes in...

the vocal is going out of tune also at the end of the song
not enough sleep? go sleep la b4 recording bro..
kidding..Very Happy

and the guitar lead part...izzit meant to sound so small?

just my personal opinion. ignore me.
A Borderline Mixtape
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm..which lead guitar part are you talking about? The 1st verse? 2nd verse? Chorus? Outro? The outro has a harmony guitar line (sort of like Iron Maiden..Thin Lizzy etc.) but you have to listen real carefully. I mean..we're kind of a pop band in the sense that we put more emphasis on the vocals so they can be heard clearly over the rest of the instruments. If we increase the guitar sound, it won't give enough room for vocals and the rest of the instruments.

I don't hear the vocals going out of tune..unless you mean the backing vocals (which was done by me lol) The outro is played in a higher key (compared to the chorus) so it's slightly difficult to register..but I don't notice it. We all had sore throats that night lol.

And maybe a lack of sleep.
okta
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

3:28 guitar part.

if ur looking for a pop band kind of mix...i shouldn't have to listen properly to get on wat ur trying to get to.
5:01 i'm no pitch perfect but i think vocals going off pitch in a few part...

i seriously can hear more of ur guitar stuff on the whole track except the 1st minute. maybe drown them a bit rather than bringing the vocals down...

i better stop
Smile
nice song btw..
A Borderline Mixtape
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okta wrote:
3:28 guitar part.

if ur looking for a pop band kind of mix...i shouldn't have to listen properly to get on wat ur trying to get to.
5:01 i'm no pitch perfect but i think vocals going off pitch in a few part...

i seriously can hear more of ur guitar stuff on the whole track except the 1st minute. maybe drown them a bit rather than bringing the vocals down...

i better stop
Smile
nice song btw..

I think the 3:28 bit was done just right. We wanted to get a chunky heavy bridge..so that little riff was just something to keep the treble side happy haha.

As for the pop remark, well..what i was trying to say is that the vocals must be the top priority (i.e, it needs to be heard loud and clear and not be drowned in the music). It's not like we have a particular type of 'pop sound' that we want to achieve, but it's just that some bands have so many things going on(like crazy guitar riffs during the verse) leaving no room for vocal melodies cos everyone is fighting to be heard. This is probably our most complex song we've written, but we're very happy the way it turned out cos everything can be heard nicely (in our opinion)

Thanks for enjoying it Smile

And please, don't stop commenting cos hardly anybody here gives constructive feedback on our songs (it's usually just Jeff and omarjamaluddin) Care to give your thoughts on our other songs? Smile
okta
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

yea...i said drown the guitars.... did i type wrongly? my english kampung punye ah...sorry.. Very Happy
i meant drown the guitars cos now it sounds rather up front to me...and ur guitar is at the back..
Jeff
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

lol..thats Okta for you. He's my personal Simon Cowell..and i quote "I SAY IT STRAIGHT TO THE FACE LA..."..hehe. Thats okta for you..

Quote:
Oh and Jeff, we will try and distribute our final EP when we come home during the Summer..which will probably contain:

- Kwik E Mart
- Surprise Surprise
- King Stroker
- Loveth
- Lollipop Boy
- Hope

We don't know what we're gonna call it, but Side A and Side B are like...demos just to test out what ppl think of our material..and once we get enough feedback which are the best tracks (which we feel are the ones mentioned above) then yeah, we'll probably figure out some way to promote it (although we're destined to fail, cos we're not good at that sort of thing LOL)

alright..keep us posted here. Dont worry too much about promotion, you cant do everything yourself and i'm sure theres enough good ppl around to help you out. Besides, you guys are good enough to let your music speak for itself.

Quote:
As for the pop remark, well..what i was trying to say is that the vocals must be the top priority (i.e, it needs to be heard loud and clear and not be drowned in the music). It's not like we have a particular type of 'pop sound' that we want to achieve, but it's just that some bands have so many things going on(like crazy guitar riffs during the verse) leaving no room for vocal melodies cos everyone is fighting to be heard. This is probably our most complex song we've written, but we're very happy the way it turned out cos everything can be heard nicely (in our opinion)

You'd be surprised at what some engineers can do. Ive heard totally screwed recordings made perfect during mixing, and screwed mixes made perfect with good mastering. Like that thing with the drums overhead, if you get a good enough engineer, you can get it popping along pretty nicely at a louder level without worrying about the ride and crashes washing everything out...its all about zeroing in on the right frequency range.
I suggest you get a copy of all the individual working files of your current recording (dry and raw without effects), so if you were to find a good engineer in the future *cough cough* okta*cough*cough*, you might have a chance to make it sound better...oktas right, theres room for improvement with the current mix you have. (eg. vocal tuning, better leveling and transparency of all individual sounds, a more defined stereo space ..etc) *hint hint*cough*okta*cough*

One more thing, i mentioned this before but ill say it again. Youre songs have a very raw feel to it, made even more prominent with the live studio ambience feel to it (i cant say if its the engineers choice or yours)..which gives it a slight retro feel, eventhough your recording were isolated from bleeding into each other. Like i said ebfore, that particualar sound reminds me of Manic Streat Preachers and Stone Roses alot. Its a very British old school sound...so a polished recording might just actually work against you. Perfection can be an ugly thing.. Smile

Jump to: