back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

psychedelic music? wtf is that? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
rg_x2n
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: psychedelic music? wtf is that? Reply with quote

did i spell 'psychedelic ' right? ehehehe

ok, so, i bought a new album yesterday. its a pink floyd 'wish you were here', and yes 'tormato'. IMO, diorg nie btul2 hebat, tapi mmg susah nak masuk dgn lagu diorg nie. btul2 pening! lelame tu best ar gak dengar... Razz

aku sebelum ni x penah dgr lagi lagu2 drp diorg, dan aku kurang paham dgn makna psychedelic nie... what is psychedelic?

aku ader buat research kat web, xlah paham 100% ( my english is so bad). aper yg aku paham, lagu 2 ala2 psychedelic nie lebih kurang mcm gantian kepada bende2 yg buat kita high cth mcm ganja dll. btul ker?

ader gak yg ckp kalo nak layan lagu mcmtuh, kene layan high skali, btul ker? hehehe

keep in mind that i'm a noObie dalam genre music psychedelic nie, so kalo aku ader salah, tolong lah betulkan... Smile

ape itu music psychedelic?

Last edited by rg_x2n on Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
adam
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

its...
http://www.myspace.com/flirtingwithsleep
silbi
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cerita austin powers banyak element2 psychadelic ni...hehe...

aku pun tak tahu...

actually, the more undefineable a thing is, the more mysterious it becomes...
cartman, eric
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam wrote:
its...
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
mrbungle
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PSYco+DELlinger escape plan+LICk my ball music...
adam
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

haha..
rg_x2n
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hai... korang nie... prangai mcm bebudak la. baik xyah masuk forum Laughing

so, no one can explain it to me then?
Ridzi
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tengok kamus.
adam
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

(Literally, "mind-manifesting.’) A drug, such as LSD, mescaline, or psilocybin, that, under appropriate conditions of set and setting, can elicit high states marked by philosophic insights, mystical feelings, visions, and so forth. The term reflects a positive bias toward these drugs, which others have less kindly called "hallucinogens" (hallucination inducers) or "psychotomimetics" (psychosis mimickers).

"Psychedelic music is a musical genre inspired by or attempting to replicate the mind-altering experience of drugs such as cannabis, psilocybin, mescaline, and especially LSD. It is not rigorously defined, and is sometimes interpreted to include everything from Acid Rock and Flower Power music to Hard Rock. However, an inner core of the genre that came to public attention in 1967 can be recognized by characteristic features such as modal melodies; esoteric lyrics often describing dreams, visions, or hallucinations; longer songs and lengthy instrumental solos; and "trippy" electronic effects such as distortion, reverb, and reversed, delayed and/or phased sounds. The album that brought psychedelic rock into pop culture was The Beatles's Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

While the first musicians to be influenced by psychedelic drugs were in the jazz and folk scenes, the first use of the term "psychedelic" in popular music was by the "acid-folk" group The Holy Modal Rounders in 1964. The first use of the word "psychedelic" in a rock music context is usually credited to the 13th Floor Elevators, and the earliest known appearance of this usage of the word in print is in the title of their 1966 album The Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators. The psychedelic sound itself had been around at least a year earlier in the live music of the Grateful Dead and Pink Floyd, and Donovan's hit Sunshine Superman. The genre reached its maximum popularity in 1967 and then quickly tapered off, though a number of bands continued and there has been a revival since the 1980s." -wikipedia
Raggy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rg_x2n wrote:

Actually, your multi-colored image already explains psychadelia: it's a sort of mind-twisting mixture which can be interpreted in different ways depending on your mood...so if you listen to the same music on different days, you will "feel" it differenty.

In my younger days, psychaelic music was popular among the rebellious youth (yes, me too!)....sort of like death metal today. But of course in those days, there was a lot of drugs going around so people's minds was spinning alot and this kind of music seemed "logical" to a spinning mind.

You also have to understand that synthesizers in those days were not like today.....involved a lot of wires and plugs going in and out of different oscillators, a LOT of pulling and pushing of plugs and buttons by keyboardists to create the strange layers of sounds, but this made them use creativity to a maximum, and the music was as much physical as it was for the ears even though this was "high-tech" music of it's time.

*sigh* it was a different zaman. Like wayang kulit, it is gone to you youngsters,because the environment in which it was performed does not exist today.

Pink Floyd: Dark Side of The Moon was probably one of their best albums.

Unfortunately, over here everybody only knows "Another Brick In tThe Wall" (from "The Wall" album) like a stupid jingle, makes me vomit when I hear bands play that silly part again and again, cos they are only playing a tiny piece of the actual album/song concept, and they are reducing a powerful anti-war album into a comical jingle.
rg_x2n
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raggy wrote:
rg_x2n wrote:

Actually, your multi-colored image already explains psychadelia: it's a sort of mind-twisting mixture which can be interpreted in different ways depending on your mood...so if you listen to the same music on different days, you will "feel" it differenty.

In my younger days, psychaelic music was popular among the rebellious youth (yes, me too!)....sort of like death metal today. But of course in those days, there was a lot of drugs going around so people's minds was spinning alot and this kind of music seemed "logical" to a spinning mind.

You also have to understand that synthesizers in those days were not like today.....involved a lot of wires and plugs going in and out of different oscillators, a LOT of pulling and pushing of plugs and buttons by keyboardists to create the strange layers of sounds, but this made them use creativity to a maximum, and the music was as much physical as it was for the ears even though this was "high-tech" music of it's time.

*sigh* it was a different zaman. Like wayang kulit, it is gone to you youngsters,because the environment in which it was performed does not exist today.

Pink Floyd: Dark Side of The Moon was probably one of their best albums.

Unfortunately, over here everybody only knows "Another Brick In tThe Wall" (from "The Wall" album) like a stupid jingle, makes me vomit when I hear bands play that silly part again and again, cos they are only playing a tiny piece of the actual album/song concept, and they are reducing a powerful anti-war album into a comical jingle.

finally, ader gak org bagi respond yg baik. thanks.

well, yeah, aku mmg buat gamba tu bertemakan psychedelic... here's a closer look of the pic...

i'm totally new dalam genre music psychedelic nie, so...,

mase bli CD aritu, aku main blasah jer... hm.. well... ader gak la bace album review... byk bagi coment positif kat album wish you were here...

yes pun masyuk, tapi lebih technical... terlalu teknikal... kekadang tu pening kepala dibuatnyer (thats the point!) tapi, time aku nak bli aritu, ader album tormato jer, which was voted as one of the worst YES album ever... tu pun pendapat org la, bg aku ok jer...

kire YES nie, root of progressive music ala2 dream theater la... (i know you know).

i agree that music nie hi tech pada zaman 70. aku btul2 plik la, org zaman 70's bley buat lagu2 mcmtuh... amat2 kagum!

and yes, aku mmg jenis yg rebel gak, dulu stock layan death metal (morbid angel, hate eternal, krisiun... dll). tapi, lelamer, dah rase mcm xleh trima music mcmtuh... i feel like need to move on... tu yg layan pink floyd tuh, hehehe

yeah, i also heard that 'dark side of the moon' is PF masterpiece. cant wait till the end of this month, nak bli CD tuh Very Happy

thanks again for the explaination dude.
Agony
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nak layan sychadelic era moden ni layan laaa Radio Head tuu....Mars Volta pun ada sikit unsur tuuu.......tapi aku lagi suka Anathema....hahaha Laughing Cuba laaa dulu...
rg_x2n
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agony wrote:
Nak layan sychadelic era moden ni layan laaa Radio Head tuu....Mars Volta pun ada sikit unsur tuuu.......tapi aku lagi suka Anathema....hahaha Laughing Cuba laaa dulu...

thanks for the info. aku mmg nak layan gak radiohead tuh. tunggu mase jer :p

ko penah dgr Eels x? they are pretty good to. not 100% psychedelic, tapi element2 psychedelic tu ader gak la skit....
cartman, eric
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uuhhhh... the eels...bes2...
dah lame aku x denga...
hmm... teringat balik... Wink
ok it's download time... Razz

Cheers...
rg_x2n
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cartman, eric wrote:
uuhhhh... the eels...bes2...
dah lame aku x denga...