back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

MOnster Solo Sound wanted « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
hazatsu
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: MOnster Solo Sound wanted Reply with quote

Hello guys,.

I think the question i am about to ask may be redundant, tapi nak tanya jugak.

I've heard a lot of songs and music clips with guitar soloing here in i-bands.

I am a "grade rendah" guitarist trying to climb my way up to mastering the lead guitar techniques.

But then, playing techiniques aside, i am still wondering how to produce that crazy lead sound that is "delay-ish" and with monster "reverb-ish"?? Obviously its more than just pluging in a reverb and delay stomp boxes kan? i mean, what about the entire setup? for distortion? amp? guitar?etc???

i mean, you can listen to Bode's Noise Box's guitar soloing and immediately you can feel the "vibe" kan? Very professional and deep. How the hell do i produce that sweet monster sound? HOW HOW HOW???????

Help me......

So can someone please tell meeeeeee.
aB
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: MOnster Solo Sound wanted Reply with quote

hazatsu wrote:

Help me......

Bro, how's Sheffield these days?

I am sure a lot of able-people here in i-bands can write encylopedias worth of recommendation to get that 'monster sound'. i'll share my simplified method.
firstly, jangan la be too modest to say "grade rendah'. kita semua disini sharing tips to improve ourselves: be it beginner, amateur or pros.

ok, what equipment do you use? (1) guitar - do u have a good humbucker p/up @ bridge? (2) stomp boxes/effects-pre-amp modules?

Basically, even before pushing your sound thru the reverb & delay fx, you need to ensure the 'original' guitar tone is superb. A noisy signal with 'semput' distortion & gain will NOT produce a monster sound IMO.
For my setup, the input signal from the guitar (using bridge humbucker pickup) will go through this fx process : (1) the first part is getting a good hi-gain & sustain distortion sound (use compressor, distortion fx), i would max out the gain & dist and adjust compressor to get the best sustain - be careful not to overload as this may 'choke' the signal (2) then eq the sound to my liking (use para & graphic equilizer fx) this is where i'll play around to get that 'monster' out - earthshattering bottom? screeching hi-mids? sengau 800khz?, then (3) slightly 'wet' it with chorus fx (4) finally push the sound through the delay & reverb fx to get that roomy/stadium etc feel [a limiter/noise gate/noise reduction ?... well, a lot of philosophy around "where" is best to put these, to remove the noise/hiss. i'd put it right at the end of the fx chain. (using NI Guitar Rig2, i'd put one at the beginning & one at the end).

Share us your equipment, then maybe we can help you get that holy grail monster sound.

Wink

Last edited by aB on Thu May 11, 2006 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total
omarjamaludin
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Admin
Site Admin

u mean the van halen style brown sound? hehe...
IZZI
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

always put your delay and reverb pedal kat akhir sekali in your chain.. biasanya delay pedal ialah sebelum reverb pedal.

jenis reverb dan delay pedal pun memainkan peranan besar.. ada yang sound thin.. mungkin stereo reverb boleh bagi huge reverb sound..
Bode
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: MOnster Solo Sound wanted Reply with quote

aB wrote:
hazatsu wrote:

Help me......

Bro, how's Sheffield these days?

I am sure a lot of able-people here in i-bands can write encylopedias worth of recommendation to get that 'monster sound'. i'll share my simplified method.
firstly, jangan la be too modest to say "grade rendah'. kita semua disini sharing tips to improve ourselves: be it beginner, amateur or pros.

ok, what equipment do you use? (1) guitar - do u have a good humbucker p/up @ bridge? (2) stomp boxes/effects-pre-amp modules?

Basically, even before pushing your sound thru the reverb & delay fx, you need to ensure the 'original' guitar tone is superb. A noisy signal with 'semput' distortion & gain will NOT produce a monster sound IMO.
For my setup, the input signal from the guitar (using bridge humbucker pickup) will go through this fx process : (1) the first part is getting a good hi-gain & sustain distortion sound (use compressor, distortion fx), i would max out the gain & dist and adjust compressor to get the best sustain - be careful not to overload as this may 'choke' the signal (2) then eq the sound to my liking (use para & graphic equilizer fx) this is where i'll play around to get that 'monster' out - earthshattering bottom? screeching hi-mids? sengau 800khz?, then (3) slightly 'wet' it with chorus fx (4) finally push the sound through the delay & reverb fx to get that roomy/stadium etc feel [a limiter/noise gate/noise reduction ?... well, a lot of philosophy around "where" is best to put these, to remove the noise/hiss. i'd put it right at the end of the fx chain. (using NI Guitar Rig2, i'd put one at the beginning & one at the end).

Share us your equipment, then maybe we can help you get that holy grail monster sound.

Wink

Kita semua di sini memang gitaris bertaraf rendah la...so relek la... Smile

Yeah bro...how's Sheffield these days? Are you taking good care of ab's and my original home :29 Filey Street? Smile Can't help caring about it, since we're the original tenants Wink Missed those days man...

I agree with ab's method, which is one of the method that I do use for the slightly more processed sounds (ala Steve Lukather mid-late 80's sound)

But maybe ab himself can recall our early days in 29 Filey Street when all I got was just my Boss DS-1 going through my Laney amp and nothing else, and we both think that that was still my biggest sound ever. In this case, the trick is experimenting with all the permutations of the tone settings of the DS-1 in conjunction with the amp's tone controls. It takes time to discover the cool combinations, but believe me, it's worth all the effort once you get it.

Nowadays, I'm going back to this kind of raw tone sound...maybe just a lil bit of delay or reverb to spice things up.

Remember...efx like delay/reverb works best in small amounts...too much, it ruins everything Smile
hazatsu
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ab and bode for your advice.

i am using a Combo Amp with built in Fx and stuff (Vox valvetronix) so i dont really use stomp boxes or anything. My rig is simply guitar-amp-switch.

I do have a Zoom FX pedal, but i find it too complicated to use, since i dont really know how to mix things up. Maybe because i am plain lazy. I only use it during live performances.

Tapi that't the thing la, i am trying to learn how to use and tune these FXs. Maybe the best way to learn is by using individual stomp box, like how bode described.
hazatsu
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: MOnster Solo Sound wanted Reply with quote

Quote:
Yeah bro...how's Sheffield these days? Are you taking good care of ab's and my original home :29 Filey Street? Smile Can't help caring about it, since we're the original tenants Wink Missed those days man...

Sheffield is great as always. I've been here since 2002, and i didn't have to wait long to hear stories about bode and the gang. And its a pleasure to able to carry on keeping the malaysian music scene here alive.

Yup, i've heard about 29 Filey St quite a bit; it was known as "Bengkel Kraft Fender" or sumthing like that? kan? Or maybe that was when your successor accommodate that house around early 90's? anyway most of the stories that i heard are from Kudo.

But i am not sure who are the current tennants. But i used to live nearby there, 20 Filey St.

I am leaving Sheffield at end of this year. Really sad to do so. I think the music scene in Sheffield among malaysians are growing rapidly now. The younger generations are super active; there are an increasing number of musical equipment per house now. And thanks to them, Sheffield Gig was organised again this year, after 5 years or so since the last one was held.

I think much have changed since the last time you guys were here.
Bode
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hazatsu wrote:
Maybe the best way to learn is by using individual stomp box, like how bode described.

Yep...that's the approach! With multi effects, learn each efx modules one by one separately.

I just got Guitag Rig2, and I'm impressed with the diff stuff that you can play around with it...the options for sound creation is limitless.

But I still start step by step...take each pedal/amp/efx simulation separately, and study it's characteristics, before creating your finished signal chain. Smile
Bode
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: MOnster Solo Sound wanted Reply with quote

hazatsu wrote:
Quote:

Sheffield is great as always. I've been here since 2002, and i didn't have to wait long to hear stories about bode and the gang. And its a pleasure to able to carry on keeping the malaysian music scene here alive.

Yup, i've heard about 29 Filey St quite a bit; it was known as "Bengkel Kraft Fender" or sumthing like that? kan? Or maybe that was when your successor accommodate that house around early 90's? anyway most of the stories that i heard are from Kudo.

But i am not sure who are the current tennants. But i used to live nearby there, 20 Filey St.

I am leaving Sheffield at end of this year. Really sad to do so. I think the music scene in Sheffield among malaysians are growing rapidly now. The younger generations are super active; there are an increasing number of musical equipment per house now. And thanks to them, Sheffield Gig was organised again this year, after 5 years or so since the last one was held.

I think much have changed since the last time you guys were here.

Memories of the old Sheffield days always means something very deep to me...and ab.

Thanks hazatsu, for keeping the flag flying!

Make sure you 'turunkan' ilmu to the younger generation in order to keep the tradition alive! Smile
silbi
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey hazatsu

cerita Sheffield je ni...anyone from Kent here?

..anyways, u've heard about the legend of Bode n stuff? Wow Bode...u guys were really something eh?...I was not in Sheffield, so i really didnt study much on the 'history' of u guys there....

yg aku tahu Sheffield is the place to go if you wanna find kampung Melayu back then...senang cari benda makan tu. In Canterbury, Kent, nak cari ayam tak-katok susah giler tu...Archbishop dgn Cathedral ada ler...so terpaksalah selalu makan fries je lah and kadang2 terbabas benda2 lain jugak...erk...darurat brader, darurat....

anyways, just curious hazatsu - ever heard of the legacy from Lan Setan in Sheffield - he's my batch, we were there circa 96-97....one crazy drummer and my drummer too for one silly show i did back in Kent...I know his house dulu siap ada full studio...envy the guys there man!

Actually, kat Kent kurang musician sikit, so had to import him all the way from Sheffield to play with my 'band' in Kent...main lagu Raya je...hehe.

about the tone you're searching - i'm sure with all the cheap gadgets that u can get now there...nothing is impossible.

Or if ur a bit dry money-wise, just get the behringer plasticky stombox je - i heard UK price there is only 15 quid...haha...analogi dia macam orang M'sia beli fx pedal for RM15 je lah...kalau tak jumpa gak sound tu, u can just chuck them out the window or sell to me for RM10 when ur back in msia....or kasi free je Smile

anyways, nice to hear news from England...somebody, pls buat one reunion gig for all ex-UK grads lah...

sorry ter-off topic - teruja...
IZZI
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aku pun sebenarnya nak tau jugak secara teknikal mcm mana nak dpt huge reverb sound.. tapi belum jumpa2 lagi..

ni ada sample satu super monster sound. Reverb dia mmg soul..

(Download will available for 7 days only)

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=FA77F83E23A793E9

naik bulu roma aku.. heheheh..

So sapa yang expert bab recording atau rig setup tu, kasi la idea atau tips2..
hazatsu
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
hey hazatsu

cerita Sheffield je ni...anyone from Kent here?

..anyways, u've heard about the legend of Bode n stuff? Wow Bode...u guys were really something eh?...I was not in Sheffield, so i really didnt study much on the 'history' of u guys there....

yg aku tahu Sheffield is the place to go if you wanna find kampung Melayu back then...senang cari benda makan tu. In Canterbury, Kent, nak cari ayam tak-katok susah giler tu...Archbishop dgn Cathedral ada ler...so terpaksalah selalu makan fries je lah and kadang2 terbabas benda2 lain jugak...erk...darurat brader, darurat....

sheffield kampung melayu back then? Dude, its still is la,...infact dah makin maju sikit, sekarang it has become "bandar melayu",.. no seriously, my housemate actually came back the other day from the city centre carrying a few bottles of cencaluk!! giler, kedai kat sini pon ader jual cencaluk...!

yeah, like i said, sheffield still remains as the so called kampung melayu, but then, sekarang ader persaingan ketat dgn manchester and southampton,. kat situ pon kampung melayu juga.

Anyways, i've heard about a band from Kent, a few years back. They are actually bruneians, called "5.10 am". Never met them personally, but i got hold of their demo and listened to them: they were superb,. but then now i tak tau apa jadi. Have you heard of them?

Yeah, to mr bode, thanks for your advice. I dah try guna all the fxs and stuff individually. Dah boleh ler differentiate sesikit the sounding and how to tune the whole rig.

But now agak slow sikit, exam period la. after that nanti baru boleh hentam gegilar the whole summer,. yeah!!
silbi
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok lah kampung melayu...senang buat kenduri...hehe

a demo from a band from kent? wow...that's a good progress...zaman aku dulu aku jelah budak msia yg dok giler buat band time tu...and i didnt really know any bruneians...

will try to check them out...thx for d info.

about yer fx stuff - just try everything man!
yusof
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey,

silbi, LAN SETAN yang kahwin dengan pegawai WISMA PUTRA tu ke? ada adik perempuan DAFINA yang cute GILA!

kawan lama saya tu 1991-1994...tapi lost contact...tau cerita, dia jadi chemical engineer (kalau tak silap) lepas tu kahwin, terus ikut isteri pegi POSTING! Malaysian Embassy, di mana tu TOP SECRETlah!haha
silbi
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yusof...yeah, that shud be him since the name Dafina rang some bells...he used to work offshore for Schlumberger (lucky bugger!)

last time lepak dgn dia pun kat jamming studio kat SS2 maybe like 3,4 years back...damn lama dah tak jumpa. Have u seen him play drums? He's insane man!

hmm - dah posting overseas...patut hilang...

anyways, small world huh?

1991 - 1994 - yusof - engkau budak msm banting ka? aku KPP dulu...

**sorry off topik pulak ppl - jejak kasih...haha**

Jump to: