back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

how a band could join in a gig? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
TangKLrb
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:20 am    Post subject: how a band could join in a gig? Reply with quote

My band had just been formed recently..
we may looking for taking part in gigs or open mike.
I've been searching around, but what i see was the posters for gigs and event, which the performers are already listed..
can anyone tell me, are there any way to get the news for the gigs that are looking for bands?
or are there any place that we can find announcement for gig auditions?

thanks lot if you can answer me,
best regard.
HuntressM00n
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

hey Tang,

congrats on forming ur band..
Getting your band started with a gig? And gig organisers rarely hold auditions because its too time taxing and we malas abit sometimes.

1.Basically do you have ep/demo or lp?

if yes, go to the gig and look for the organiser, on the second last band that is playing, approach the organiser and say hey great show! you think u might call my band to play? here is our stuff, do listen... GET THE ORGANISER'S CONTACT
Then if the organiser is free, ask them questions about how long they have been doing gigs? hows the underground scene? and even if their gig sucks.... congrats them and say u enjoy their show.

2. There are alot of organisers here, go to other forums and open a thread for your band! put a link to your website and remember ur music speaks louder than fancy pictures.

3. Public Relations
Make sure there are a representative of the band to go visit gigs and mingle around with bands and also the organiser.

4. Keep in Touch
Always keep in touch with the organisers, you never know when they going to have another gig.

5. Find a label
Most of the time, the label will help you look for contacts for gigs but it is still optional.

6. Organise your own gig
If you arent able to find gigs and have tried everything above, organise your own gig and invite organisers who have bands to play in ur show, from there start building ur contacts.

7. Never forget bands
Remember, mingle with the bands and find time to chat with them, once u r close to them, ask them is there any gigs for your band to have a shot?
Most bands are not that selfish so its alright.

8. Compilation
Look for events and promotions regarding a compilation CD, join the compilation program and submit ur songs, once the CD is done... and your music is good, people will start calling you because most organisers collects DIY albums for fun (i know i do)

9. Never Get involved in politics and croonism
Always make your band NEUTRAL, never get involved in croonism and politics and it would be a dead end for the band, you maybe playing in same gig by the same organiser all the time for the rest of your life, but if you are.. break free from it.

Some organisers may announce bands to be polled, join it!
GryMlock
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

get your stuff recorded dude. pass that (demo) to gig organizers or other bands. good luck!
TangKLrb
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey thanks HuntressM00n and GryMlock,

yupe we do have our own demo.. but i think we still need to rearrange them...
i think i know what i have to do for now before i can approch to organiser..
thanks lo..
i'll read them through more details nextime when i am free.. thanks a lot..
i might have questions one day.. hope that you guys can help me again..
thanks lot..
TangKLrb
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one more question,
i just seeking for gig's poster in the recent months,
and i saw a band, skyjuicecoffee have join quite a lot recently..
just wanna know, usually the band who joining the gigs is going to be paid or not??
if a band join a lot like the band i mention just now..
i think it's quite hurt for the wallet if not being paid...

ya.. sorry.. i start showing my interest in gig since last year,
but due to final year studies, i cant approach it..
so.. forgive me if i am asking some foolish question..
GryMlock
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some you get paid, some you won't. Depending on the event. sponsored events.. you should get paid. independently organized events depends on the collection they get from the paying crowd. sometimes they'll be able to pay bands but normally they just managed to break even.

if you're worry bout your wallet, then don't play. trust me, it will hurt a lot! this is no mtv life dude. this is indies... we loose money Laughing
undefined
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

betul ajeep.. kalu kira2 memang buleh sampei ribuan jugak la abis ye.. sedih untuk diri sendiri Sad
TangKLrb
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sure we wont worry bout the wallet, as it is expected.
just wonder some band that play almost every week,
it may consider fulltime for us if play like that..
no matter how.. for the time being, as a beginer..
we are just looking to play once in few months if there is a chance..
it's expected to spend some money...
just wanna figure out is it all unpaid one..
cos what i heard is usually unpaid... thanks GryMlock..

mr undefined, nice to meet you here.. i'm new into band and gig,
(yet i am not that young..) hope that it's not late..
and hope you guys can help me in future if got chance..
thanks lot.. i may need to ask you guys lot of question...
ammirhafzan
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi tang, I'm personally thank you for your sincere questions. Keep in mind there's never too old for rock & roll!! I think you have been exposed to a right group by dropping by this Ibands forum. These people here are well experience in this gigs, indie dist, etc. like Grymlock, huntress etc. However, just keep on making new songs (good ones) & playing what you like. Yes, your PR is the most matters. Keep on making friends at gigs, they are mostly nice people especially the musicians.

Umhh money eh.. i've never said that money is not important, but money is not everything in this world. Yes, some new bands, are not being paid, but it's paid by the audience acknowledgemant & exposure at gigs. It will take some times to be paid. No organizers tends not to pay bands. They shall pay when the crows turn up so well & they got extra money after break even. Unless they are memang "kaki kapur". the most matter now, is your confidence level will increase when you perform for audience & you shall have "fans" who apreciate your music.

So, if you drop by at any gigs, so just "tegur-tegur", you'll be suprise by these nice people...
Misc --> Ritter guitar bag, Gator soft case for mfx
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kurt_maisu
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah..i'm also trying to find gig slot...it's kinda when you trying to do it from a distance location.. Crying or Very sad
danelectro fab tone
behringer gd121 (mesa mode )
behringer vibrato
ibanez tonelok phaser
line 6 dl4
kaoss pad 2
facebook :- maisuismaisu
chech our myspace site :- myspace.com/bunyibising
kurt_maisu
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could also upload ur songs inside myspace and after do some small promotion about ur band..

there is plenty of bands,label,gig organizer,music lover inside myspace..by this way you can push ur band...
danelectro fab tone
behringer gd121 (mesa mode )
behringer vibrato
ibanez tonelok phaser
line 6 dl4
kaoss pad 2
facebook :- maisuismaisu
chech our myspace site :- myspace.com/bunyibising
totziens
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, listen to HuntressMoon...she is an excellent adviser...she a regular gig organiser too. Treat her well...you'll get a slot one day...Smile

I agree with Kurt. Utilise the free myspace and don't forget i-bands. Pakcik Ajeep will curse me if I forget to mention i-bands. Post your songs there then post a message in this forum requesting people to review it. This will attract some attention to "Kei Poh Chi" people like HuntressMoon, Grymlock and myself to check them out.

If u r in Klang Valley, Giggers is opened for open-mike soon. I think they should be ready around 26 Aug 2006 after going thru renovation. You may call me to confirm 016-2796783. I am Siang (not Malam)

Oh yes, if you're good I can push your song for radio airplay at Traxx FM too.
totziens
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GryMlock wrote:
if you're worry bout your wallet, then don't play. trust me, it will hurt a lot! this is no mtv life dude. this is indies... we loose money Laughing

Haha...Ajeep, I love your statement. I agree with you 100%. This is indeed very true. I lose money doing 2 compilation CDs (Come Together & Revenge of The Independents) . I only gain some recognition from certain people (not even qualified to be William Hung or Mawi)....haha
TangKLrb
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wao... i really really have to say thanks a lot to you guys.. so excited seeing so many replies.. really thanks a lot..

Among our members, we knew in university and had played for 2 years. we wrote our own song and played in university. since we play for a chinese society, so what we did are mostly chinese song, yet almost all of our members did not exposed to chinese music actually. we wrote malay song and english song too, but minority..

actually we just formed last month, when a friend of our member come to us introducing a gig, we show our interest and join it performing as a mandarin band, and wrote 4 mandarin songs in this month for that gig. anyway, i wish that we can do more in gigs, and most probably, do in english song too. so i wish to find someother gigs to be participated, hopefully can bring my idea to my member. also to push us to write song too, since we seldom create song now.

paul's place's open mike should be a good idea for us.. hopefully it's not crash with other activities that day. i may contact you, siang, if we can go for it. anyhow, just wanna ask you, normally are there any ppl perform chinese song too? where can i get the details of open mike date in Giggers?? most probably we can only perform in wed and sun cos our drummer work on other nights. maybe without the attendance of our drummer...? maybe...

our direction is quite blur now.. hopefully i can bring my band to public later after we confirm certain thing. thanks ammirhafzan, kurt and siang. and nice to meet you all.
HuntressM00n
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

mandarin secene...

lei wan Jrock ka yan...

semua hai tong yan ke scene, lei ho yee wan tou keh..

pak kor, yi gor lei oui yap tong yan scene, see hah Halo Cafe hai Kl gor tow..

hihiihihihihihihihihi

Jump to: