back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Bass Effects « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
adjuan
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Bass Effects Reply with quote

How to differentiate between guitar effect and bass effect?? i have this boss distortion for guitar, is tat can be used for bass also?? Any recommendation for bass effects?? Thanks!!
gbonE
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

byk bass effect yg ada..boleh je pkai effect utk gitar pade bass..tp sound dia maybe x mcm yg dikehendaki..first efek aku behringer bass OD
sronok bile pkai

tp x slalunye gune sgt bnde tu..kalo nk stombox try la dlu bermain2 dgn bnde tu...then carik la chorus efek..flanger..normally tu je la kot..then try la amp modeller

aku pkai b2.1u..so far aku suke tp pon aku da terpakse lego sbb jarang gak pkai
USERMODE
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

normally bass effect will have it stated obviously for bass. eg : Bass Chorus, Bass Overdrive etc... most of multifx pedal have a bass version of it.. such as KORG, BOSS and ZOOM. These bass version of effects is specially built for basses but still, some of it is still better with guitar effects instead.

I'm not an expert with bass effects. I personally still figuring out those bass effects use and trying to put a good use of my effects. Currently in my rig is KORG AX3B, Behringer Bass Overdrive, Behringer Bass Chorus, Big Muff Pi Russian (there's a USA version but some people said it's suits more for guitar instead...never tried it before) and Bass Limiter/Enhancer.

Most of guitar distortion/gain pedals can be used for bass but as gbonE mentioned, it produced different sound abit but hence, it even does that for guitar as well. Different gain pedals will give a different "heaviness" of distortion and when combined can produce another type of "heaviness". Play around with it. Best practice, try to listen from the sound first before you buy it (from the net....youtube or their official site).

Time based effects (delay, reverb, etc) for guitar most of the time will just giving a same effects for bass. Well, of course different manufacturer will have setup and sound, but still the same pedal can be used for bass as well.

Modulation effects will have a lil bit different for bass and guitar. I dunno how to explain it in technical. It doesnt really obvious anyway but eg: bass chorus and guitar chorus will give you a slightly differnet chorus effects. Hence, still you can play around with those knobs and settings to get to the tone you wants it.

In short, bass dont have a lot of effects that specially made for bass as you can find for guitar BUT, feel free to use guitar effects instead if the specific effects pedal didnt come out for bass version. Who knows you might like it.... "beauty lies in the eys of the beholder". Razz

If you'd like to test out the effects first, I suggest get a multi-fx and from there you'll know what kind of effects you need the most for your style of playing and then only you find the specific pedal (if you're looking forward to have a stompbox) for that particular type of effects.

Amp-Modeler will comes in handy sometimes. I dont know any single pedals for Amp-Modeler (if it's exists), but at least my KORG AX3B does have it. Maybe u can give it a try and put it into a very good use for yourself. There's a lot of multi-fx pedals have an amp modeler.

For me myself, i mostly use modulation and time-based effects. my bass style not really needs distortion type sound...unless you're really into Muse type bass.

Anyway, I'm not pro either with all of these, just based on experience. Perhaps any pro can come here and explain everything specifically and technically to you. Good luck bro Very Happy

Jump to: