back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Maple neck is weak, betul ke ni ? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
spiderfingers
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Maple neck is weak, betul ke ni ? Reply with quote

I own a california series squier strat, which is under 600 ringgit, yes it's the cheap made-in-china squier, 21 frets and maple neck + fretboard.

A guy I know said my guitar's neck should not be strung with 10s.

I went ahead and did it anyway and I didn't see any side effects, but he was dead sure I 'destroyed' my guitar already because maple neck and fretboard isn't meant to be strung with anything more than 9s.

I read online that maple is a hardwood and is the strongest wood available for a guitar neck and it could even be used without a truss rod.

I damn blur, so who's right ? Is my guitar screwed up ? He said my tone sure lari already, but but but.... even a cheap guitar also should last more than 2 years right?

I never go more than 10s gauge anyway.

Ish... sometimes with so much knowledge out there, you wonder who's telling the truth.
stone_gossard
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: hi Reply with quote

bro,

dont worry too much..i have squier bullet (rosewood neck) for the last 6 years and im using .010 string..n i have one strat wif maple..also with .010 string...never have any problem so far..maybe ur fren said tone lari is because u need to do setup again like intonation, trus rod adjustment to conpensate the stronger pulling effects on ur neck..

im sure nothing will go wrong, or perhaps other people have other say on this matter? share le..
spiderfingers
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: hi Reply with quote

stone_gossard wrote:
bro,

dont worry too much..i have squier bullet (rosewood neck) for the last 6 years and im using .010 string..n i have one strat wif maple..also with .010 string...never have any problem so far..maybe ur fren said tone lari is because u need to do setup again like intonation, trus rod adjustment to conpensate the stronger pulling effects on ur neck..

im sure nothing will go wrong, or perhaps other people have other say on this matter? share le..

Yea bro, I adjusted the truss rod last night, 1/8th of a turn to tighten it. The bow is less than before but not much, but enough for me. Re-setup and managed to get better intonation from the 10s now.

Once i go back to 9s, the intonation should be even more spot on.

The reason I tweaked the truss rod is because the low E string saddle is already all the way to the back and note still a little sharp (action also set as low as possible to prevent extra tension during pressing which will screw with intonation). Now it's more accurate because there is less bowing due to more countertension from the truss rod.
khairold
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude, check this out

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22maple+neck+is+weak%22&btnG=Search&hl=en&sa=2

that is the search result for the exact phrase "maple neck is weak" on google.com

out of the guitar playing community in the entire planet, the only search result is from your earlier posting
apparently besides your brilliant friend, nobody else in the whole world have ever mentioned anything on the subject in the internet

i wonder why
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ultraman_cosmo
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

khairold wrote:
dude, check this out

that is the search result for the exact phrase "maple neck is weak" on google.com

out of the guitar playing community in the entire planet, the only search result is from your earlier posting
apparently besides your brilliant friend, nobody else in the whole world have ever mentioned anything on the subject in the internet

i wonder why

hahahhaha... malaysia boleh...

maybe dia maksudkan squier neck yg weak.

And Now all jazz.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
spiderfingers
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I take it that my squier california strat is a decent piece of guitar and not as prone to damage as he claimed.

Anyway that guy is a salesman working for some guitar/music shop lah. He used to be quite informative but recently either his info is warped or he's not telling the truth just so he can make a sale, I don't know, maybe kena from boss for being too honest with clients.

Gua semak semula my strat's intonation, perfect, just nice now.

I've never gotten good intonation even with the thing stock/new.

After learning on the net, I think I did a pretty decent job of setting it up, and now it plays/feels better than my ibanez... aduh....

I couldn't replicate the setup on the ibanez rgr321 because I might end up with more fret buzz (also because it's stringed with 9s and not 10s)

Bazir lah, gitar lama/murah now more comfortable to play.

Maybe when I am really fed up with the ibanez, i'll resetup the whole thing again..
stone_gossard
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,

squire neck ok apa, akunye still utuh lagi..cuma neck profile agak kecik bagi aku..lain2 ok..of course mutu neck squire takla sesuperb guitar mahal lain..but not bad..
sardinxp
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khairold wrote:
dude, check this out

i wonder why

KAHKAHKAHKAH
Mixboy2105
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If maple neck's are weak then mine should have been broken a long time ago.. I use .105s and 0.11s and 0.52s on the bottom...

I have run over my Yamaha with a car before... and it didn't break... care to try it ?
Studio 21:05
http://www.myspace.com/studio2105
46A, Lorong Rahim Kajai 14,
Taman Tun Dr Ismail, 60000 Kuala Lumpur.
MALAYSIA
T: +6016-364 8510
O: +603-7710 2105
E: studio2105@yahoo.com
BBM 213A6E77
jibraun
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jedi wrote:
If maple neck's are weak then mine should have been broken a long time ago.. I use .105s and 0.11s and 0.52s on the bottom...

I have run over my Yamaha with a car before... and it didn't break... care to try it ?

Waaahhh... Biar betul.. mungkin kereta tuh langgar sipi je kot.. sebab fender 1889 bapak member aku punye, bwk naik moto pastu jatuh koner je.. dah patah retak die.. neck ok lagi... tapi body die ade keretakan.. takkan yamaha ko kene langgar kereta tak jadi ape... mustahil tuh...
ETERNAL
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

jibraun wrote:
jedi wrote:

Waaahhh... Biar betul.. mungkin kereta tuh langgar sipi je kot.. sebab fender 1889 bapak member aku punye, bwk naik moto pastu jatuh koner je.. dah patah retak die.. neck ok lagi... tapi body die ade keretakan.. takkan yamaha ko kene langgar kereta tak jadi ape... mustahil tuh...

anything is possible.
Mixboy2105
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibraun wrote:
jedi wrote:

It was early in the morning.. damn sleepy... was putting some other stuff in side my car rear seats.. so I left my guitar leaning against the boot (in my gig bag). Forgetting it's there.. I got into my car, started my engine and reversed..... I ran over something.. bcos I felt my car GO UP AND OVER and object....

I was SHOCKED..... immediately got down saw my guitar lying underneath the car.... took it out... and not a scratch or crack on it...

Some of the tuners had been slightly detuned.. but that was it....everything else was OK...
Studio 21:05
http://www.myspace.com/studio2105
46A, Lorong Rahim Kajai 14,
Taman Tun Dr Ismail, 60000 Kuala Lumpur.
MALAYSIA
T: +6016-364 8510
O: +603-7710 2105
E: studio2105@yahoo.com
BBM 213A6E77
jibraun
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owh... like that...
I think like hit (Accident) hahaha.. like the fender i told u about...
Very Happy
ultraman_cosmo
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Mestilah maple adalah kayu paling tahan nak buat neck.
- kalo 1 piece neck, korang nak buat jadi kayu hoki pun tarak masalah. hahahah.
- cuma maple neck pun depan dengan construction dia juga. ada 2 3 piece sambung sambung macam samick or korean neck.
- depand on the neck construction juga.
- kengkadang neck tak benkok tapi fret wire drassing tak betoi.
- dan trus rod, walo pun kayu maple kuat, tapi kalo trus rod ketat sangat akan sampai masa ia twist juga.
- sebab tu kalo anta guitar jauh, diornang biasa longgarkan trus rod.
- 010 gauge to consider light lagi, lain la 12 or 13 macam akustic nyer string.

And Now all jazz.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Jump to: