back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

pizza hut racist? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
adam
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: pizza hut racist? Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

foudn this some place. interesting.

"Hello everyone. I have some interesting news.

I was in Pizza Hut (Sunway Pyramid) yesterday and suddenly my friend showed me the bill.

The bill contains normal things la (number of person, bill. number and what is ordered). But, what shocked me is that they had space called ‘RACE’.I guess since we were all wearing tudung, they labelled us as 0, which means MALAY. Later, when we went to pay…we had no service charge and no tax charge.

Still in shock, I peeped into another bill in the counter. In that bill, under the race space, it was labelled as C (which I guess means Chinese). That bill had service and tax charges!!!

I started investigating. One of my Sri Lankan friends was labelled as Indian it seems and she also had to pay service and tax charges a few weeks back. What I’m wondering is that…does anyone know about this? I find it rather strange that they charge service and tax charge using racein Pizza Hut, out of all the places!

WE SHOULD NOT GO EAT AT PIZZA HUT! "

grayheadphones
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unethical, it shouldnt be part of the culture, but it is.

and there's no law against racial discrimination in malaysia.
adzakael
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UISH

Pizza Hut reply email aku laaa (dlm masa sehari lak tu)
hahah
nampaknye diorng mmg dah tau dah psl benda ni lama dah

Quote:
Dear all Pizza Hut patrons,

I want to thank all of you for taking the interest in reading the hate email that has been circulating in the net about the non service charge for Malay customers by Pizza Hut Malaysia.

Please be assured that there is NO truth in the email. It is a malicious email out to create hatred against Pizza Hut for no reason.

I am Lawrence Ding Hwa Ming, the Vice President of Pizza Hut Restaurants Malaysia. The email was written by a malicious person with a malicious intent.

Pizza Hut is a public listed company under QSR Brands Berhad and we abide by all the laws of this country. It is mandatory by law to charge 5% goverment tax while the 10% service charge is for table service in the retail hospitality industry.

It is true that we conducted a 3 months internal research about 3 years ago when we change our Pizza Hut Brand Identity look from a Fast Food Concept to a more Casual Dining Concept (with dimmer lights, warmer ambient colours, better cozier ambience, different menu items etc). We spent many million of Ringgit to steer Pizza Hut away from Fast Food Concept. This was the Brand direction we took then.

The idea of the internal research is just to see how different people of different ethnic groups react to our menus.

The research was only for 3 months and I have to say on hindsight that it was not well conceived. However, some irresponsible people has turned it into a hate campaign against Pizza Hut! How unfortunate.

I have attached a company statement to confirm what I write.

If you want to read more about how this email was further propagated, you can also access a blog that started this and I have also posted my reply on his website: www.harisibrahim.wordpress.com

We live in a wonderful country. We must do our part not to ignorantly inflame further the fragile racial harmony in our nation. It is already very fragile, we must try to protect whatever harmony that is still left.

I would greatly appreciate if you could help stop this hatred email by forwarding my reply to all your friends.

So please be rest assured, there is no truth in the malicious email and you are invited to go to any Pizza Hut Restaurants Malaysia nearest to you and check it out. You may contact me at the email address or mobile number below if you want to confirm this statement of mine.

Thank you very much for your help.

Cheers and God Bless

Lawrence Ding Hwa Ming

Vice President

Pizza Hut Restaurants Sdn Bhd

Mobile: 019 329 8687

Office: 03 2026 3388 ext 623

Direct: 03 2732 8383

Email address: lawrence.ding@qsrbrands.com.my

omarjamaludin
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Admin
Site Admin

aku rasa ni survey je ..biasa la tu..buat demographic/market segmentation etc .bukannye charge lebih kalau race lain ke ape
ETERNAL
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

its sounds weird from the first.

Why should she dont want anyone to go to pizza hut when the stated "no service charge for malay?" Laughing

and i wonder on how they do this?
"I peeped into another bill in the counter. In that bill, under the race space, it was labelled as C (which I guess means Chinese). That bill had service and tax charges!!!"
grayheadphones
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so ok lemme get this straight: it's OK for everyone now to know that pizza hut staff profiles you based on your race? to me, whether they charge or dont charge you extra etc, racial categorisation in *any* situation is sposed to be bad and a de-evolution of racial synergy.

or have we been brainwashed enough by our education system to accept anything to do with "surveys" and "other official matters" as "ok" even if it's actually not?
omarjamaludin
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Admin
Site Admin

why is it not okay if it is for internal survey for 3 months ?

i dont work at pizza hut so i dont know how true it is - for all you know they could be lying and really do discriminate but my general idea is that if its just for business survey for a limited period i dont see what's the big deal

all business does survey/market research no? maybe the better way is to ask the consumers to fill out the forms themselves voluntarily of course as obviously not anyone can really gauge what sorta a race a person is.. a chindian could be mistaken as malay .. or malay who looks like chinese etc
adam
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

i think i remember seeing "race" but that was last year.

they should ask at least no?
omarjamaludin
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Admin
Site Admin

adam wrote:
i think i remember seeing "race" but that was last year.

they should ask at least no?

yep i think the best way is actually to provide survey forms so customer can do voluntarily
grayheadphones
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

omarjamaludin wrote:

erm, i repeat, internal survey is ok. but racial categorisation is not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UehSJlOQj2I&e

i have 2 kids at home - i can raise them to be "colourblind" (they are rather racially colourblind at the moment, im proud to say!) but it's their local surrounding that will ask em to see "colours" later on in their life which i have no control over.
omarjamaludin
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Admin
Site Admin

grayheadphones wrote:
omarjamaludin wrote:

erm, i repeat, internal survey is ok. but racial categorisation is not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UehSJlOQj2I&e

i have 2 kids at home - i can raise them to be "colourblind" (they are rather racially colourblind at the moment, im proud to say!) but it's their local surrounding that will ask em to see "colours" later on in their life which i have no control over.

ah okay. thought u meant survey also not okay , but they should really do it by giving forms to consumers and ask them to fill voluntarily i guess...
grayheadphones
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha not advisable when you get people like me writing "human" when asked "what is your race?"
adzakael
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would rather write "Gorgonite"
or might be "Zargusian"
khairold
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the fact is race does determined the marketing strategy
i don't see anything malicious; its just a survey that make a lot of sense for a business entity

no matter how one wants to avoid stereotyping certain races to certain preference, it is undeniable that there are some degree of truth in the stereotypes
hence its makes perfect business sense to know

i say, only when we can't identify a race based on their preference will the categorization of race stops (in business sense); not the other way around

to turn a blind eye to this diversity instead of understanding it will only be superficial
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
grayheadphones
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if people start to categorise themselves racially among other people at any level, chances are sooner or later, whatever they do, in any situation, it will be a habit. a society's habit turns into culture, which in returns evolves the mindset of the population. especially when this mindset involves "racial separation", it only can be unfavourable.

this very logic is used in laws and even religions. for example:

smoking weed is fine (depending on how you argue it! i know a few people who are "social smokers", and they're fine) BUT because there's no way the govt can control the intake of an individual for the drug, the solution is to entirely ban it. better be safe than sorry.

drinking alcohol, arguably, is not exactly bad for your health BUT after a certain dosage, it does deteriorate your judgement - and different people have different tolerance to alcohol. islam foolproofs this for the general masses by making it illegal entirely. anything too complex, the general population may skew of misundestanding, and gray lines should always be avoided.

(^^these laws are obviously more complex, im just thinking em straight out of my head, but you get my point!)

same goes with racial separation, in my opinion. you start making it "ok" for certain things and pretty soon, the general public will start making their own interpretations because the fact is, anything subjective will remain just that: subjective. most of us are here are probly smart enough to make the right judgements, but unfortunately the general population isnt.

i've had the chance to live in malaysia, west africa, hong kong and the uk and malaysia, my own country, is the only place i know where asking "what race are you?" on official forms is still legal and not considered unethical. the only reason i can think of why this is so, is because its considered such a norm already by the general population. in my observation, ive boiled it down to either; us malaysians have a really high tolerance to racism or we've been somehow brainwashed and cultured to have this mentality. i still cant pinpoint exactly at which point all this became acceptable, and how it still is.

Jump to: