back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Post new topic  Reply to topic
 Ibanez GSR205: Three Wiring Schemes « View previous topic :: View next topic »
Author Message
bluesguy62
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:07 am    Post subject: Ibanez GSR205: Three Wiring Schemes Reply with quote

Joined: 07 Feb 2012
Location: Kuantan

Part I: Original Wiring Scheme
Hello everyone Smile. You might have found, as I have, that there is a lack of information on the Ibanez GSR205. So, to add to the 'world's biggest library' that is the Internet, I'd like to share a little about the original wiring scheme of the GSR205, including the Phat II EQ. Here is my black GSR205 as it was in 2006.

Instrument: Ibanez GSR205
Production Date: February 2004
Factory: Saein, Korea
Serial Number: A04021168

Information sourced from The Guitar Dater Project.

Details:
Neck: 1 piece GSR5 Maple Neck
Body: Agathis
Frets: Medium
Bridge: B15 (16.5mm string spacing)
Neck PU: DXS-1
Bridge PU: DXS-2
Equalizer: Phat II EQ
Controls: Neck PU Volume, Bridge PU Volume, Phat II EQ, Master Tone.

Front View. Two stock chrome dome knobs have been replaced with Ibanez black plastic dome knobs from an old Ibanez RS135.

Rear View. Note battery compartment (oblong cover) to the left of the Control Cavity.

Front view of headstock.

Rear view of the headstock.

Original Controls Layout.

Original Wiring.

Mockup of the original wiring, including the Phat II EQ.

Phat II EQ B20K Pot.

Phat II EQ Circuit Board.
_________________
Bluesguy62's Blog
Back to top
bluesguy62
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Ibanez GSR205: Three Wiring Schemes Reply with quote

Joined: 07 Feb 2012
Location: Kuantan

Part II: Wiring Mod #1
Mod #1 is the first wiring mod I subjected my beloved GSR205 to after getting fed-up with the Phat II EQ. It's basically along the lines of a Fender Jazz Bass (2 volumes + 1 tone). The stock small (read: cheap and unreliable) pots have been replaced with full-sized Japanese pots, and the original .047µF tone cap with a .022µF cap. As my own GSR205 now sports Mod #2, let's look at this GSR205 instead; which I modified in 2011 from the original wiring scheme to Mod #1 specs. This black beauty belongs to a promising young bass player from Kuantan.

Hello Mod #1.

Here's the controls layout. A rubber plug has been used to fill the void left by the relocated neck pickup volume pot.

One view of the control cavity. Volume pots are A500K, while the tone pot is an A250K.

Another view of the control cavity.

Closer view of the tone pot.

Here's the wiring diagram for Mod #1.
_________________
Bluesguy62's Blog

Last edited by bluesguy62 on Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
bluesguy62
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Ibanez GSR205: Three Wiring Schemes Reply with quote

Joined: 07 Feb 2012
Location: Kuantan

Part III: Wiring Mod #2
Mod #2 is the current wiring scheme of my beloved GSR205. Mod #1 was fine, but because of the single coil pickups, noise and hum was a big problem in high gain live situations. This problem is to be expected. It's because all basses (including Fender) with jazz bass-style wiring and single coil pickups will hum if the two pickup volumes are not exactly balanced.

However, this problem may be solved by replacing the single coils with stacked humbuckers. Too bad I did not have the cash to buy humbuckers. Besides, I love the tone of the original pickups. Therefore, I had no choice but to apply Mod #2. It is basically inspired by the Yamaha BB1000MA, and sports a master volume, master tone and 3-way toggle switch for pickup selection. The original stereo barrel jack has been replaced with a normal mono jack, and this jack has been mounted on the face of the bass. Here are a few pics of my own black GSR205.

Here's what my GSR205 looks like nowadays.

Controls Layout.

Wiring Diagram.

Control Cavity.
_________________
Bluesguy62's Blog
Back to top
deadzid
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Joined: 13 Feb 2004
Location: Shah Alam

stick this post to the top!
Wink
_________________
> facebook
> youtube
> my-mic
> mockspecial.com
Back to top
bluesguy62
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 07 Feb 2012
Location: Kuantan

deadzid wrote:
stick this post to the top!
Wink

Thanks for sticking it for me Smile
_________________
Bluesguy62's Blog
Back to top
eniQma
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Korek

Joined: 28 Nov 2009
Location: enigma di Kuala Lumpur

bluesguy62 wrote:
deadzid wrote:
stick this post to the top!
Wink

Thanks for sticking it for me Smile

congrats
_________________
I Love i-bands
http://soundcloud.com/eniqma-studios

If METALLICA Kill em' ALL
Facebook kill I-bands.net... true story
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Display posts from previous:
Post new topic  Reply to topic Page 1 of 1

Jump to:

You cannot vote in polls in this forum

DAJ Glass template by Dustin Baccetti
EQ graphic based off of a design from www.freeclipart.nu