back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Earthquake/tsunami alert! Did U feel IT! « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
synthdude
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject: Earthquake/tsunami alert! Did U feel IT! Reply with quote

Slightly after midnight, there was a tremor... Was asleep when I was
woken by gentle rocking of bed... Thought it was a ghost or
something... The house rocked gently for almost three
minutes... Signing out from Penang, a potential Quake City!

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Magnitude 8.2 NORTHERN SUMATRA, INDONESIA
Monday, March 28, 2005 at 16:09:37 UTC
Preliminary Earthquake Report
U.S. Geological Survey, National Earthquake Information Center
World Data Center for Seismology, Denver

The following is a release by the United States Geological Survey, National Earthquake Information Center: A great earthquake occurred NEAR THE COAST OF NORTHERN SUMATRA, INDONESIA about 205 km (125 miles) west northwest of Sibolga, Sumatra, Indonesia or about 1410 km (880 miles northwest of Jakarta, Java, Indonesia at 9:09 AM MST, Mar 28, 2005 (11:09 PM local time in Indonesia). The magnitude and location may be revised when additional data and further analysis results are available. No reports of damage or casualties have been received at this time; however, this earthquake may have caused substantial damage and casualties due to its location and size. Earthquakes of this type sometimes cause tsunamis, however the USGS has no information that an actual tsunami has been generated. For information about tsunamis, contact the NOAA Tsunami Warning Centers at http://tsunami.gov.

Here are maps showing the latest quake activity in the region:

Magnitude 8.2 - NORTHERN SUMATRA, INDONESIA
2005 March 28 16:09:37 UTC
Preliminary Earthquake Report
U.S. Geological Survey, National Earthquake Information Center
World Data Center for Seismology, Denver

A great earthquake occurred at 16:09:37 (UTC) on Monday, March 28, 2005. The magnitude 8.2 event has been located in NORTHERN SUMATRA, INDONESIA. (This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.)

Magnitude 8.2
Date-Time Monday, March 28, 2005 at 16:09:37 (UTC)
= Coordinated Universal Time
Monday, March 28, 2005 at 11:09:37 PM
= local time at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones
Location 2.093°N, 97.016°E
Depth 30 km (18.6 miles) set by location program
Region NORTHERN SUMATRA, INDONESIA
Distances
205 km (125 miles) WNW of Sibolga, Sumatra, Indonesia
245 km (150 miles) SW of Medan, Sumatra, Indonesia
535 km (330 miles) WSW of KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia
1410 km (880 miles) NW of JAKARTA, Java, Indonesia
Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 6.1 km (3.8 miles); depth fixed by location program
Parameters Nst= 65, Nph= 65, Dmin=535.9 km, Rmss=0.85 sec, Gp= 61°,
M-type=moment magnitude (Mw), Version=6
Source USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)
Event ID usweax

Arrow http://earthquake.usgs.gov/recenteqsww/Maps/region/Australia_frames.html
Bode
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bro...trust your hunch...if you don't feel to secure up there in Penang...get down here man...

This is very worrying...
omarjamaludin
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Admin
Site Admin

aku dgr siap KL ada rasa gegaran..risau sial..i'm going back for good to msia next week..well if malaysia is still there alive n doing well next week let's have a teh tarik gathering hehe..
synthdude
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:14 am    Post subject: CNN report at 5.56am... Reply with quote

<b>Quake kills at least 290 on Indonesian island

'Small' tsunami detected in Indian Ocean after 8.7 temblor</b>

Monday, March 28, 2005 Posted: 5:56 PM EST (2256 GMT)

(CNN) -- A major earthquake struck off the west coast of Indonesia late Monday, killing nearly 300 people, but fears of another tsunami like those that devastated the region in late December faded early Tuesday.

On Nias Island more than 290 people died and hundreds more were reported injured or trapped, said government spokesman Agus Mendrova. Between 500 and 1,000 homes were destroyed, and the island's public market was ablaze, he said.

"We have not heard of any tsunami hitting anywhere," Jan Egeland, the U.N. emergency relief coordinator, told CNN from New York nearly six hours after the temblor struck.

Still, Egeland said, the earthquake itself was responsible for dozens of casualties on islands close to the epicenter.

Between 10,000 and 15,000 people ran about 10 kilometers (6.2 miles) to hilltops for safety in case of a tsunami, he said.

There was a report of heavy damage on Simeulue Island in Indonesia, said Bernd Schell, head of tsunami operations for the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies.

Speaking from southern Aceh, Schell said "heavy, heavy shaking" lasted about three minutes.

The USGS said the quake was 30 km deep. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration recommended residents within 1,000 kilometers (620 miles) of the epicenter evacuate coastal regions.

The U.S. Geological Survey said no major tsunami has been observed near the epicenter of the earthquake, which was upgraded from a magnitude of 8.2 to 8.7.

Half an hour after the quake, an aftershock of magnitude 6.0 struck the same region, the USGS said. Two hours later, yet another struck, this one 6.7.

The main jolt was located near the coast of northern Sumatra, about 125 miles west northwest of Sibolga, and about 880 miles northwest of Jakarta, Indonesia's capital.

Scientists say the threat of a tsunami striking Indonesia and Thailand may have passed because a wave like the one that hit the region on December 26 would have reached those countries almost immediately. Monday's quake struck at 11:09 a.m. ET (1609 GMT).

Officials in Kuala Lumpur issued an official tsunami warning for the west coast of Malaysia and the east coast of Sumatra. The warning has a six-hour window, and is based on the December earthquake, which struck at 9 a.m. local time and was followed four hours later by the tsunami.

A damaging tsunami is still possible and should be "presumed," said Robert Cessaro of the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center. The quake may have sent its energy farther south than last year's quake, which measured above 9 and ruptured to the north, he said.

"So all that pressure to the north would have been relieved" by that quake, said Cessaro. "We think this event probably ruptured to the south, with the beam of energy probably propagated to the south toward Mauritius and the Rodrigues."

Few land masses lie to the south, but among them are the Cocos Islands.

About three hours after the quake, a "small" tsunami was measured on the Cocos tide gauge, the USGS said. It did not elaborate.
Coastal evacuations

In Thailand, thousands of people in the six provinces affected by the December 26 tsunami moved to higher ground or 2 kilometers (1.25 miles) inland, the governor of Phang Nga province said.

In India, the government issued a tsunami alert for the coastal areas, as well as the islands of Andaman and the southern state of Chennai, where officials advised residents to move inland at least a third of a mile.

Sri Lanka also issued a warning that the earthquake could spawn a tsunami that would reach Sri Lanka's shores by about 3 a.m. Tuesday (4 p.m. ET Monday) and urged those living in low lying areas to move to higher ground. There was no indication anything had happened by that time.

The quake was centered on the same fault line where the December 26 earthquake launched a tsunami that left more than 300,000 people dead or still listed as missing. (Full story)

"This looks like a fraternal twin of the December 26 earthquake," said Kerry Sieh, a professor of geology at the California Institute of Technology. "It's not a duplicate. It occurred a little bit further south, a couple kilometers further south. But it's the same type of earthquake."

Prass Prawoto, an aid worker in Banda Aceh, which was severely damaged by the December tsunami and quake, said Indonesians moved to higher ground, fearing another massive tsunami. But he said he had not heard of any injuries.

CNN producer Kathy Quiano, watching television reports from Jakarta, said there was widespread panic in Banda Aceh, as residents rushed inland. Electricity and phone service were out in major sections of the city.

A number of traffic accidents occurred as a result, and people were injured, she said, citing local television reports. "People are closely watching for the water that may come in," she said.
U.S. ready to help

The United States is moving into "battle mode" in the wake of the quake, alerting all the U.S. posts in the region and reaching out to aid workers, State Department spokesman Adam Ereli said.

"We're applying what we've learned from the previous earthquake, so that we can be prepared to be responsive quickly and in a meaningful way," he said.

USGS spokesman Doug Blake said there had been no reports of tsunami activity nearly 90 minutes after the quake struck.

"At this point in time we don't know what type of fault occurred ... and that is critical information we just don't have yet," he said. "It is in the aftershock zone of the December 26 quake. It's a little bit south, but it's on the same fault."

Experts agreed the quake was massive. The U.S. Geological Survey put the magnitude at 8.7; the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said it was 8.5.

"This earthquake has the potential to generate a widely destructive tsunami in the ocean or seas near the earthquake," NOAA said in a statement on its Web site. "Authorities in those regions should be aware of this possibility and take immediate action."

Asked whether evacuations are taking place, U.S. Geological Survey spokesman Don Blakeman said, "I certainly hope so."
A 'great' quake

The quake is considered a "great" earthquake, the largest of seven grades. The grades are very minor, minor, light, moderate, strong, major and great.

Monday's event marked the first time in recorded seismic history -- nearly 100 years -- that two quakes of such size have happened so close together, Schell said.

Only 12 great earthquakes have occurred since 1906, he said.

Tsunamis are distinguished from normal coastal surf by their great length and speed. A single wave in a tsunami series might be 160 kilometers (100 miles) long and race across the ocean at 960 kph (600 mph).

When it approaches a coastline, the wave slows dramatically, but it also rises to great heights because the enormous volume of water piles up in shallow coastal bays.

The December 26 quake -- the strongest in 40 years -- triggered a massive tsunami that devastated coastlines in nearly a dozen nations in Africa and Asia.
synthdude
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:20 am    Post subject: BBC report Reply with quote

Last Updated: Monday, 28 March, 2005, 22:37 GMT 23:37 UK

<b>Lethal quake rattles tsunami zone</b>

A massive earthquake off the coast of Indonesia is reported to have killed hundreds of people and triggered tsunami alerts around the Indian Ocean.

The 8.7 magnitude quake struck just before midnight, destroying buildings on the Sumatra island of Nias.

Thousands of people fled their homes in Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, India and Sri Lanka - areas still recovering from the deadly tsunami in December.

But three hours after the quake, tsunami alerts were scaled down.

About 300 people were killed on the island of Nias, not far from the epicentre, officials said.

"We are busy now trying to pull people or bodies of children from the collapsed building," said one police officer. "It is very hard also because there is no power."

Agus Mendrofa, deputy mayor of the Nias town of Gunungsitoli, told Indonesian TV: "Gunungsitoli is now like a dead town. The situation here is in extreme panic."

Nias lies about 200km (125 miles) off the Sumatran mainland.

The tremor struck at around 2315 local time (1615 GMT) and lasted up to three minutes, Indonesian monitors said.

On 26 December, a tsunami in the Indian Ocean killed or swept away more than 200,000 in Indonesia alone, with an estimated further 100,000 deaths in 11 other countries.

"It seems [Monday's] earthquake did not trigger a tsunami," Prihar Yadi, a scientist with the Indonesian Geophysics Agency, told AP.

"And if there's no tsunami on the coastline near the epicentre... there will not be one heading in the other direction."

In Sumatra's Aceh province, which was devastated in December, aidworker Jon Kennedy said the ground had "swayed".

"It was simply huge - we ran into the street," the Tearfund aidworker said.

Communications in the area were swamped, although some mobile phone messages were getting through.

Russ Evans, a seismologist from the British Geological Survey, told the BBC that Monday's tremor quake was almost certainly an after-shock of the earlier quake, which had a magnitude of 9.

The quake was felt across the region with people in the Malaysian capital, Kuala Lumpur, some 500km away, evacuating high-rise buildings and running out into the streets.

"I was getting ready for bed, and suddenly, the room started shaking," said Kuala Lumpur resident Jessie Chong.

"I thought I was hallucinating at first, but then I heard my neighbours screaming and running out."

Thailand and India, badly hit by the December disaster, temporarily issued tsunami alerts while Sri Lanka evacuated coastal areas.
Ridzi
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup...and i thought my wife wanted to get it on.. Laughing

/ridzi
omarjamaludin
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Admin
Site Admin

hehe when the bed's rockin dont come a' knockin..
afiqme
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

omarjamaludin wrote:
aku dgr siap KL ada rasa gegaran..risau sial..i'm going back for good to msia next week..well if malaysia is still there alive n doing well next week let's have a teh tarik gathering hehe..

jgn lupe ajak aku skali.. hehe!!!

p/s: aku tak terase plak gegaran tuh.. tapi bapak aku tepon dari KL tanye pasal rumah aku ok ke tak.. pasal die cakap KL bergegar.. hehe

Private guitar lesson - Batu Caves/Gombak/KL/Shah Alam:
http://afiqmemusic.blogspot.com

My other blog: Click here!
adam
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

my bro was at midvalley 7th floor at the time and he could feel the place moving sideways.my apartment walls were shaking. i was at kj tho...didnt feel shit.

numbers are up to 2000ppl.
http://www.myspace.com/flirtingwithsleep
adam
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

yeah hehe.. i was wondering.. probably about 25% malaysians thought it was a ghost at the time.other 30% were drinking..others dunnolah..
http://www.myspace.com/flirtingwithsleep
mrbungle
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ridzi wrote:
Yup...and i thought my wife wanted to get it on.. Laughing

/ridzi

mcm lahanet!!... Very Happy Very Happy Laughing
Bode
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was another one at about 1400 H yesterday..I was in the middle of giving a lecture to students when suddenly the whole lecture hall started to make a commotion...I didnt feel anything and I was scared that it was actually because my fly was open...thank God it wasn't...
DownInThePark
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply Reply with quote

Taiping, Perak felt it generally, 'cause i asked almost anyone i saw, and they said, "yeah....", i didn't 'cause i was out playing midnight basketball.
And yeah 2 of the people i asked thought of it initially as ghosts....

[ Long Story Short ]
[ Dirtwash ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
pali
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bode wrote:
There was another one at about 1400 H yesterday..I was in the middle of giving a lecture to students when suddenly the whole lecture hall started to make a commotion...I didnt feel anything and I was scared that it was actually because my fly was open...thank God it wasn't...

haha.. now now doc, lecturing students pulak.
Jeff
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

hmmm...cant help but be reminded of a song by Tool, album aenima...how does it go?

Fret for your figure and
Fret for your latte and
Fret for your lawsuit and
Fret for your hairpiece and
Fret for your prozac and
Fret for your pilot and
Fret for your contract and
Fret for your car.
It's a
Bullshit three ring circus sideshow of
Freaks

Here in this hopeless f**king hole we call (LA?)
The only way to fix it is to flush it all away.

ome say the end is near.
Some say we'll see armageddon soon.
I certainly hope we will cuz
I sure could use a vacation from this

Silly shit, stupid shit...

One great big festering neon distraction,
I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied.

Learn to swim.

Mom's gonna fix it all soon.
Mom's comin' round to put it back the way it ought to be.

LOL

Jump to: