back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Are The Fridays Bigger Than The Both Of Us? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
acap5780
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 12:24 am    Post subject: Are The Fridays Bigger Than The Both Of Us? Reply with quote

Obviously no...well...corny title, stupid question...what's next? Well this is just a late desperate surge at trying not to slip further down the charts and slip from the people's attention altogether. Better make the best of it while we're still in the reckoning, eh? Hehe...so here it is, the revised (yet again) story of The Fridays, the tumultous first year of existence and the whirlwind romance that is the Bigger Than The Both Of Us EP.

THE FRIDAYS
A.Ashraff (Leadvocals, guitars, bad fashion sense)
Adib Azhari (Bass, real talent)
Syn Zulkifli (Guitars, FX, ambience, syndromatic blurness)
Shahir Sirad (Drums, disappearing acts)

Alkisah...
It was in the weather, no...in the sand and stone that floated across Adib Azhari's rapidly renovating duplex in Taman TAR in the summer of 2004 that infiltrated our respiratory systems and giving us the idea that making a band would be good...so I wrote the first defining single, First Dates & Violins (not featured in any official releases so far...bengong) as Adib, Azim and Syn got to know their instruments. Barely knowing anything, we played for the first time at Xcess Studios Ampang Point on 6th May 2004, powering through the first singles, the above mentioned First Dates, Til Next Summer and Mocha. There was an obvious lack of quality in those sessions, and these dudes were definitely a far cry away from Yan and Haikal's biscuit (kejap ada kejap takde) professionalism...but I felt this funny tingly feeling inside. I was actually having fun! And the rawness emanating from our then-still musically ignorant band was so punk rock! Not punk rock as in Simple Plan or Good Charlotte or leather jackets or mohawks...but punk rock as in WE DIDN'T NEED TO APPROACH OUR MUSIC IN AN OVERTLY TECHNICAL WAY, WE DIDN'T NEED VIRTUOSOS...WE JUST NEEDED SPIRIT AND HEART. I realised that it was more important to be completely true and honest in my music and really be who I was. So The Fridays kicked off.

Bigger Than The Both Of Us...
Work for Bigger Than The Both Of Us actually took up the whole of 2004, May onwards. The writing process was going on continuiously (Cheque and Art School Cool were written less than 3 months before recording commenced), and it got less individual as we rolled on, Adib and Syn co-writing most of the material. We took from December 2004 to March 2005 to shortlist what would eventually go on the record. Two last minute additions made it as the other three were virtually given a bye straight into the final product. Drummer Azim also left the band at this point, as Shahir Sirad stepped in and learnt (also last minute) his parts. He did this excellently. With the recording date set on April 15th, we got into ArtXcite and practised the whole week before the date. Recording (on the day) took 3 hours, with another 4 hours of basic mixing.

Well to obtain just call Syn at 0129433013 or get yourself to ArtXcite Studios and just order one at the counter.

Thanks to Pakcik Siang for noticing us. It was for him I posted this. Takdelah menyusahkan Umbrella Records sangat...dia sorang jer nak promote susah la hidup...

Support your local indie scene!
totziens
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, acap5780. Smile I supposed I am one of the first to notice this post too (if not, at least I am the first one to reply).

Yeah, check out the EP of The Fridays. Recording is not perfect like majority of the underground bands (you cannot expect the recording quality of 7 Collar T-Shirt, OAG, Pop Shuvit, etc) but it's reasonably good.

In terms of music, if you love indie music you'll definitely love this band. I dare to guarantee it! Like Ashraff used to say, the songs could be easily love by indie darlings/indie gals/girls in general Smile
The melody is excellent...very catchy. Somehow, I tend to relate the vocal to the vocal of 4 Non-Blondes when I first heard of the band - it's not because they sound exactly the same but it's the "feeling" that I have (it's hard to explain). In other word, I love the vocal.

With proper promotion, I believe this band could be the birth of the next OAG but I hope The Fridays will remain in the underground or at least do it like The Times lah. Very Happy Pls take note that I don't mean music wise, I am always against copycats. Very Happy

Yeah, pls support the local indie scene. I am sure the great people who is reading this are already the existing supporters. Maybe we should try harder to spread to non-gig-goers and those who ignore local scene but cherish western underground music scene. Perhaps, some people haven't discovered what the local scene is all about just like myself in the late 80s and early 90s. I had the impression that all local undergrounders are metalheads till I discover Caburetor Dung, Subculture, The Pilgrims, Spiral Kinetic Circus, etc. (sorry old man tend to write lots of history)
huzai
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angsakawan
Angsakawan

oo.. pakcik siang.. they r u 'partner' eh?hahahahaha..
totziens
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huzai, aiyo...why u follow me wherever I go in i-bands ah? hahaha...

The Fridays is one of the bands that will be in my compilation demo. We have sort of trying to help each other lah. The scene is so small, we need to work together lah. It's one of my favourite bands in the current scene - the hot stuff to me. So, one day if I ever have ability & $, I am really interested to work with this band for a proper album. If this is the late 50s or early 60s in England, I would feel like discovering The Beatles.... If this is the 70s, it would be The Clash (reason I am not saying Sex Pistols is because Pistols was a nasty band that would beat up the fans..this band doesn't do that) Very Happy

I really really really like this band that is waiting to be discovered by the public.

Jump to: