back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

How do you write songs? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Spasmenos
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol jeff poetry is no gay la... its a thing that u wrote that comes out from your soul Razz haha..
Spasmenos
madhatter
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

azsamad wrote:
Interesting thread here!

For me, songs come out in many ways. Finding the seed of it, an idea, lick, rhythm, chord or something is the easy bit. The hard bit is the follow through in making the whole song come together and make sense. Some songs take days, and other just lie around for years.

I think coming out with a melody works best for me, as then I can dress it up with either a bassline first and then chords.

U sums it nice for me dude. Cuma aku bila ada melodi, tak reti lak nak carik chords yg sesuai... tu yg stuck tu! Aku bab ryhtm ni teruk btol la... not to say aku terer lead la... btw, ko ni THE azsamad ke? Welcome to i-bands man!

'No reason to get excited,' the thief he kindly spoke.
azsamad
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, i am azsamad, unless ada azsamad lain yang i haven't met!

Thanks for the welcome! =)

By the way, (a little plug!) I'm having a guitar workshop August 7 at The Music Hut, Bandar Damansara Perdana and among the things I'm covering will be like chords and harmony. More info at this thread here:

http://www.i-bands.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1692&start=15

By the way, i like the theme for your "Rainy Night (Sleep Well)". =)
madhatter
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azsamad likes my song? Haha leh wat testimoni ni! ahaha juz kidding bro! Thx for the invite tp jauh sgt dr tmpt aku. Im way up north. But who knows kalau aku ada trip turun kl, leh gak join.

azsamad
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

And yup, who knows we might meet someday. Cheers!
madhatter
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers bro!

silbi
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just feel like reliving this thread -

i try to write songs too...but my problem is mainly to get the correct chords for the melody...for instance, if i already have the correct chord for verse, then bila nak masuk chorus...i dunno which chords to use...i know there's this family chords in music that i need to follow - so tu yg tak reti tu..

so bila dah tak reti...terus malas...and terus lupa chorus tu melodi camne..and there goes a complete song...yg ada cuma tinggal verse.

and due to this reason je, i have a lot of songs which repeats the same chords over and over for both verse and chorus coz aku tak reti nak apply chord lain...haha...(but i know there are lots of songs like these - still tak nak lah stuck in this zone forever - nak jugak improvise)

can u guys rekemem me a good site to learn about chord-buiding / chord progression structure for a song??...say from verse to bridge to chorus...the do's and don's...the family of chords that we have to follow?

or shud i just enrol myself in some basic music theory class?? hehe...tapi gue sengkek beb...

well, that's my 2-sen

azsamad - any more workshops like the one u mentioned tak? damn interesting. hopefully there something lepas raya. so do keep us posted.
GryMlock
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude..lu punya problem sama cam gua ah.

for me.. skrg aku tau aku mmg lembab pasal chord2 ni..and with my current time schedule... tak possible utk aku belajo dlm masa yg singkat. so utk lagu cam popish. aku dapatkan melody dulu. utk lagu yg cam rockin' skit mmg selesa bina structure dulu.. so chord ah dulu. But then chord dia tu...kadang aku sebat jek janji bunyi tak sumbang. hehe. besok kalau band aku nak pakai.. ha pandai2 la guitarist tu nanti cari apa nama.

jadi skrg...aku tak terasa restricted sangat with chord yg aku tau lah..pasal aku tak pikir chord lagi dah. just ikut bunyi.
fReqZz
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silbi wrote:

i try to write songs too...but my problem is mainly to get the correct chords for the melody...for instance, if i already have the correct chord for verse, then bila nak masuk chorus...i dunno which chords to use...i know there's this family chords in music that i need to follow - so tu yg tak reti tu..

that's my biggest prob too... plus the bridge... solo... etc etc... n one more.. i'm so worse at writing lyrics...
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fReqZz wrote:
silbi wrote:

that's my biggest prob too... plus the bridge... solo... etc etc... n one more.. i'm so worse at writing lyrics...

Maybe next time I can help u with the lyric...I am not good either...perhaps 2 brains are better than 1, right? Very Happy

I cannot write song...I don't know shit about music....I just love listening to it and music is an important part of my life. Occasionally, a melody will keep playing on my mind (usually in the morning). Once I listen to another song, the melody is lost forever. HuntressMoon suggested that I record down by humming the tune - I have started doing that. Got 1 recorded last week. I could not even hum the way I wanted it especially when it's a distorted guitar playing in my mind. It's a repetitive melody...hope to send it to someone someday to enhance it.
blindriff
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a good topic...

my problem is.... sometimes i can make some melody... the problem its easy of ebing forgotten.... people say write it in music score/note... or just record it... but the recording part is really sucks... especailly using tape recorder...
totziens
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blindriff....just record it to a wav file....do it quick and dirty....as long as it helps u to remember the melody...that's good enough....u can rearrange the song...rewrite it....do whatever u want after that. Definitely this is faster than using cassette to record it. It's also better than forgetting about it. Cheap too and u can easily send the file if required.
HuntressM00n
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

as for me, i write songs when i hear the melody first from my guitarist.

and then i try and feel what he is feeling when he wrote the rythm, then i confrim with him.

after knowing what is the feel of the song, i will imagine that i am in my guitarist's shoe and the words just come out like that.

If i write my own songs, i tend to like it short and simple but catchy.
my lyrics is mostly written in french as i write gothic tune only. weird. no happy rhythm seem to come out
totziens
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HuntressM00n wrote:
as for me, i write songs when i hear the melody first from my guitarist.

and then i try and feel what he is feeling when he wrote the rythm, then i confrim with him.

after knowing what is the feel of the song, i will imagine that i am in my guitarist's shoe and the words just come out like that.

If i write my own songs, i tend to like it short and simple but catchy.
my lyrics is mostly written in french as i write gothic tune only. weird. no happy rhythm seem to come out

no emo ah? hahahaha
HuntressM00n
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

emo is huzai
Post new topic  Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next Page 3 of 5

Jump to: