back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

adakah band ska perlu ada horn sections?? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
bijanisme
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject: adakah band ska perlu ada horn sections?? Reply with quote

aku nak tanye skit laa kan pendapat korang...ska band nih kene ade horn section baru boleh digelarkan ska band ke? hehehe aku tau laa lagu ska lagi best kalo ada horn sections..kan? so..ape crite? Laughing
GryMlock
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macam ko cakap tu lah beb. kalau ada lagi best. But doesn't mean that u can't play ska without horns sect.

And kalau ada pun. belum tentu ko bleh main Ska ngan baik. Most ska bands yg ada horns ni mmg meriah. but at the same time, kalau tak betul arrange horns tu, alamat sumbangseh la jadinya.

so kesimpulannya.. kalau ada.. it's a bonus.
kalau ada percussions lagi bonus monus.

kalau takde.. ai bedal jer la. kita yg main. Razz
superfajitas
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

memang betul tu grymlock..i think paling important is kalau nak include horns dalam recordings. getting the tuning is essential..nothing worse than flat horns...memang piala SUMBANGseh.
that obviously depends on the the quality of the instruments and also the player. if in doubt, ikut cam rancid je, takyah horns. pakai harmond organ or i find that using chorus effect on the guitar gives a very kingston feel too.

IT'S MY JOB TO KEEP PUNKRAWK ELITE
bijanisme
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehehe..itu laa aku pon pikir mcmtu..tapi tak tau laa ada mamat mane ntah ckp band aku nih band ska kampung sebab takde horn section..hehehe..terime je laa..ok thanks guys! chow! yo grymlock.. aku nak keje kat event i-bands nanti bole tak? Wink
GryMlock
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ala lantak la wei. ska kampung ke pe. band aku pun takde horns gak. tu nanti bila kita dah supastar nanti leh amik session jek hahaha. No seriously.. tak jadi hal wei mender ni. Orang yg dok cakap macam2 ni... they will change their tone when they see their friends are supporting you. u just keep playing dude! never give up.. nevarr surrendahhh.

but unless u want to play something like the New York Ska-Jazz ensamble.. then u got a serious problem Razz

superfajitas : know where I can find a portable hammond for cheap?
I saw once .. Republic of Brickfields using the portable Hammond...& been dreaming of having one ever since Razz
bijanisme
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yo man! u're rite! so whats ur band called? seriously aku tak kenal ko lagi..jgn marah! boleh berkenalan? Wink
GryMlock
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

band2 aku ni sume low profile jer. budak kampung biasa la.
I'm in two bands at the moment. Kluk Kluk Adventure & Call the Paramedics. Kluk Kluk, when we started, we played SKA & mostly influenced by Save Ferris, Pot Shot, Meal Ticket, and the like. Now I think we're playing what we feel like playing lah, but with a pinch of SKA in the ingredient.

CTP is playing something like a pop funk/rock kinda style.

have a listen to our songs lah brader
(heheh promosi)

Kluk Kluk Adventure
http://www.i-bands.net/audiovault/kluk

Call The Paramedics
http://www.i-bands.net/audiovault/call
bijanisme
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehehehe...ouhh..rashid main lagi utk band tuh tak? dulu rashid drummer band abg aku! (GKP) skang nih aku tak tau laa band ape die main..hebat die tuh! Laughing lagu korang gempakss! my band (Der Bucksters) skang nih tengah buat lagu lagu baru kiteorg..we play skapunk music..nanti bulan 5 kot buat recording for our demo...aku teringin gak nak main gig ngan korang..pastu boleh kenal kenal! boleh tak? Wink

Last edited by bijanisme on Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
superfajitas
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 bands? that's dedication to the cause man!
is pot shot that japanese ska punk band on asian man (or izit kung fu?) records? i've met them beforea couple of years ago..i was walking back from the library and saw this bunch of japanese dudes sitting around outside my uni students' guild. they just looked like your average punkrawkers but with added cameras round the necks for that extra japanese tourist look. i only decided to approach them cos they had asian man records caps on, which i wanted. they were really cool, but only one spoke some english. they were on tour with the chinkees that year. i didn't manage to catch their show that night though cos it was way to close to my exams, which probably explains the fact that i was in the library in the first place!!

speaking of japanese skapunk bands, have you heard any kemuri stuff? they're on fat wreck i believe. high standard are another japanese punkrawk band on fat wreck-chords too...my fav songs are starry night and nothing.

so what's your line up like for KKA?

i'd luv to get horns for live shows(actually i'd luv to PLAY some live shows, but that's a whole other box, which i perhaps will open another day) but we're only a 3piece...i play (or try to play) the trumpet and so far we've only recorded one of our songs with it in, so it kinda sux that we only have it on our recordings but not live.

oh, and no i don't have a clue where you can get portable hammonds.

bijanisme, u're from der bucksters right? what's you guys punyer influences?
bijanisme
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey man! yes..pot shot is a japanese skapunk band! i like em too!
Der Bucksters nye influences are from bands such as Less Than Jake, Rancid, Lagwagon, NoFX and others...where are u from? i mean ur band? and what is ur name? Laughing
GryMlock
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oi lu jumpa potshot kat mana?

yeah I've listened to kemuri Wink
I think it's in one of my get-it-from-Kazaa compilation cd.

KKA's current line up is Bai (guitar), Lin (Drums), Congo(Bass), Keeta (Vocals)

Bijan.. yeah Rashid played with us a couple of times. Now he's rawkin' with The Accused!

superfajitas : know any chicks that can play horns? hehe. I tried to get the girls from ex-Tun Fatimah JB Brass Band Alumni (i think), but tarak respon lah so far Razz

eos
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bijan..mane pegi horns player korang?
bijanisme
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eos wrote:
bijan..mane pegi horns player korang?
yo man!! saper nih? well..horn section kitorang still blajar lagi..tapi sebenarnye dorang tuh sessionist jer..nanti aku rase cam nak panggil balik laa..kalo boleh..well..thanks for askin' man! chow! Laughing
superfajitas
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, i guess i should've intro a bit b4 just butting in b4..
my name is Nik Hazleigh aka Ayi..i'm from Taman TAR in good ol' Ampunk (haha poyo ler...Ampang i mean). My band, Super Fajitas is completed by neighbourhood friends Shen and Shaif (R. Shahrul & Sharifuddin, respectively..they're cousins)...we all live on the same street and have been rawking together since mid-1998 but as yet have only played one gig(actually it was a friend's party).
It's been a long and uneventful 5 or so years cos we're only active 2 or 3 months a year cos we're all in uni in UK. The rest of our bio nanti tunggu we'll write a complete one..

anyways, me and my drummer shaif are studying in Liverpool, while SHen's in London. I go to most of the punk and ska gigs that pass through the Northwest of UK, but most of them bypass Liverpool and go straight to Manchester so i have to catch their shows there...i'm into pretty much the same stuff as u bijan and i've seen them all except for Rancid which i miss cos i was still back in malaysia last September...in my opinion, NOFX and Goldfinger(i freaking luv em, seen em 3 times, met them the 1st time i went to a gig in the UK when they supported Bloodhound gang in 2000) put on the best live shows ever!!
we are also into bands like No use for a name, descendents, pennywise (i.e. most bands on Fat-wreckchords and Epitaph)...also recently got into a bit more emo stuff wif get-up kids, Jimmy eat world etc.
superfajitas
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aku jumpe pot shot biler dier orang main kat uni aku, liverpool uni last year. i saw Mike Park (the chinkees and founder of Asian Man rec.) but didn't get a chance to talk to him...he's one of my idols for encouraging an asian presence in the international punk/ska scene..he rawks!!

so grym, u got 2 chicks in your band? lin drummer tu awek ke? hehe r they hot? sorry in advance if they're like your sisters or aweks..
so KKA is JB based eh? so u guys tight wif Plague of Happiness? they've got a rawking sound man and the horns is very creative, but my personal thoughts is that they could probably get away with 1 thrombone...it clutters the sound too much ler, or i dunno maybe it's just their recording? i heard them via their site...hmmm...wonder wat it'd be like to have chicks in my band... Wink
grym, i think kalau takder minat in ska, memang tak layan ler..or maybe those chicks jual mahal je kot? hehe punk/ska chicks here rawk!! still haven't seen any in malaysia..hmmm...interesting thought though..haha
on the only gig we've played, we got a friend from the St John's Inst cadet band to back us on a couple of NOFX songs(FLoggin a dead horse & All outta angst) when we were still doing covers then but the guy pancit or something after flogging a dead horse so we had to scratch the other song.

bijan: mp3.com down ler..i downloaded 1 of your songs, Hey I like you ages ago...i like your sound dude..ader lagi ke? what do u play? where r u guys from?

Jump to: