back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Crossroads: The Sheffield story « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
kudo
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Crossroads: The Sheffield story Reply with quote

more like t-junction, really. Laughing the summer sun was gloriously up and i thought it'd be the best time to take these pics.

as requested by bode, here are the pics where it all began for him and some of us sheffield alumni (technically, i'm not because i'm from that better school in newcastle and i am still here! kidding!).

bode, you just have to cerita lah from now. jangan nangis tau.

for people the likes of riki and myself, this house on filey street seen below holds some memories of the days when we could jam til the wee hours of the morning in its dank basement. the basement is now sealed and the house is now converted to a two-apartment unit.

"Welcome to Tube Club. The first rule of Tube Club: you do not talk about solid state." -The Uncle

Bode
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Crossroads: The Sheffield story Reply with quote

krik wrote:

bode, you just have to cerita lah from now. jangan nangis tau.

Omigod....omigod...seriously...sebak siot...jap...bagi aku take control of myself first! I'll be back...

...damn...if ab sees this...I know he's gonna get all emotional...
IZZI
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mau nya tak sebak.. 10years bukan sekejap bro..
aB
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... kneeling in awe, overwhelming emotions going through every living cells of this mortal self... those pix brings back infinte memories of the good times, and bad, during the defining moments of my life. damn... memories can really drown even the loudest 4x12s.
Dudes, let me share with you , soon, the history of Filey Street, as i vividly remember them. Bode, you need to fill up your part of the history ok.

... awesome... awesome.... awesome pix dude. see that shop there, 29 Filey Steet? i used to live on the 1st floor... and during those 87-90 years, there would be the Whitesnake vinyl cover stamped authoratively at the window for all to see, to mark that "studio open, free meal, free jam, come inside- you can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave...". remember Bode??!
kudo
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yo.

glad to see i got to make two grown men 'cry'. Laughing

btw, from previous descriptions i can't recall you mentioning this other sheffield chap by the moniker rizal banjar as part of the sheffield crew. my mate, adrie (you know him? junior sesangat la, a southpaw.), said rizal was his guru. and you were rizal's guru. his lake placid blue strat is now adrie's.

you guys still keep in touch? i don't know rizal, btw.

"Welcome to Tube Club. The first rule of Tube Club: you do not talk about solid state." -The Uncle

riki_rahman
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miss it, man...

miss it so much! Crying or Very sad

p/s: ace photos, brudda...

... Hail Hail The Analog-Man...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jengofett
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: miss it man Reply with quote

Sheffield 92-96.
(City Road area & Norfolk Park)

I was there jamming once or twice with Rizal Banjar (with his strat/digitech/laney set up) and seing Mr Bode man in action.

Shit down to memory lane now dude... Embarassed Crying or Very sad
shit even remember bought my first Tele @ the pawn shop near High Street Very Happy and my beloved Les Paul @ Carlsboro City Rd....
Laughing Laughing
....a chips butty to go love .... ahak ahak Very Happy Very Happy
aB
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: miss it man Reply with quote

jengofett wrote:
Sheffield 92-96.
(City Road area & Norfolk Park)

bought my first Tele @ the pawn shop near High Street Very Happy and my beloved Les Paul @ Carlsboro City Rd....

went over to FileySt one cold autumn 93' down memory lane (and recorded Shyboy at Bode's place;).. could have met you guys! bode spoke of many budding great talents 'mushroom'ing after i left.

aha!! you meant BIG DEAL eh? yup, bought my limited edition signature series (George) Washburn 29F (F for frets, also my then address 29 Filey) there, and certainly Carlsboro City Road (take the no.5 bus).. brings kenangan2 - le place we used to try out new gears every half-day wednesday.. then walking next door to KFC for a bite while debating solid state vs tube amps, the virtues of a scalloped neck, and discussing the looming doom as prophesized by Guitar World feature article "Shred is Dead" . hmmm...
kudo
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Sheffield - then and now Reply with quote

jengofett: you were in sheffield too? berapa ramai dlm 0-bands ni? (jejak kasih mode)

aB: i can see why in 93 players were concerned about shred as that was the time when the words alternative, grunge, seattle and nirvana were pretty much the in thing. which of course at that time allowed shite guitarists like myself being able to naively think that playin 'badly' was the way to go. hahahaha Embarassed

carlsbro was called academy of sound when i moved to sheffield in 98. it was a branch of a pretty large nationwide chain of stores. another large chain was this scottish company called sound control, which finally took over the AOS on city road. i don't really like big stores as the staff don't really know their stuff (i'm generalising here... my marshall was bought with big discounts at city road whilst my two gibsons were also given discounts by the sound ctrl guys). i prefer the smaller/friendlier london road shops like wavelength. there was this one called moon music but sadly it closed down 2 yrs ago. moon was great cos thats where i go to rent PA and amps for the gigs we sometimes organise, much to the chagrin of SMSA.

big deal is still there (ada 1959SL plexi marshall and cab going for £600). big deal is not exactly a 2nd hand shop sgt - they do sell some first hand gear actually. so, nowadays you really have to chk the pricetag as you may find it cheaper elsewhere.

there's also a cash converter near the moor but i seldom go to it.

with online 2nd hand sale on eBay, we have seen the decline of 2nd hand equipment being sold in the shops lah. so, going around to all the guitar shops religiously (we used to do that in 98-99) every saturday is no more. the current crop of students i see now are a lil' different from 'our' days. i see people owning guitars like PRS (american ooo - as in sampai tak makan) but don't have an amp/have not much clue about gear. they can play, though - don't get me wrong. but they probably won't know who elmore james or buddy guy is, though.

the sheffield people i met when i first came here, were into what was current then (anything alt-rock/seattle-ish/nu-metal - ada sekor yg still into helloween), but they knew some music roots at least. and they were fanatical about gear (here's where riki should write an essay hahaha). i had a friend called louis who was a medic. he was really in to megadeth. when we were trying out an explorer (that i secretly wanted to get) at the shop, he was playing it really slow. we hung the guitar back on the rack. and suddenly he asked me how much the epiphone was. i replied, "oi, tu gibson lah". he picked it back up, cranked up the marshall and played some johnny winter. my jaws just dropped.

the music 'scene' (if you want to call it that) had its ups and downs. kengkadang ramai, then gone, ada balik tapi berapa kerat, then gone again. now ada balik (i think) and funnily enough it happened on filey street yet again.

here's to the future.

aB
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Sheffield - then and now Reply with quote

krik wrote:
jengofett: you were in sheffield too? berapa ramai dlm 0-bands ni? (jejak kasih mode)

... london road shops like wavelength. there was this one called moon music but sadly it closed down 2 yrs ago. moon was great cos thats where i go to rent PA and amps for the gigs we sometimes organise, much to the chagrin of SMSA.

hmm... smsa was even more forthright & brutal during my days in alienating us, those few handful of shredders. one decree the then smsa president made to newcomers to Sheffield that still rings funny harmonics in my ears were "jangan bergaul dengan budak 29 Filey tu, semuanya dah rosak... ". we tried to hand our olive branch by reducing the all night jamming and even attended to one of their usrah... only to be ignored and rediculed!.. h Twisted Evil macam budak2 ! and there were like only 60 of us malaysians in sheffield in late 87 (before the sudden gush of m'sians in 1990 - there were >300 then). wonder what the figure is now, any idea krik?

london road.. yeah. friendlier shop there.

lemme finish scanning old photos and writing up my brief 'sejarah' in sheffield...
kudo
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so they had that already in those days? how come in the past you guys could hold events like the malaysia night in sheffield? and i thought that it was the recent crowd that became a lil' more reserved.

i don't know any of them as i don't really fraternise with 'em anyway. we did a gig once which coincided with the sports meet in 2002. we received some flak (serves us right for actually including the term "..come to gig after a hard day of playing sports"). then again, the gig was a private event, and they had nothing to worry about as it was sex , drugs and rock n roll WITHOUT THE SEX AND THE DRUGS.

some of the students who love their music were a little worried of possible repercussions. personally i feel as long as my intention is to play music and enjoy myself, that is fine. i don't need to organise a gig to get ppl to do 'evil', cos gig or no gig, they're gonna do it anyway if they are that way inclined.

the current crop of students is cool. there's even talk of possibly doing a msia nite. the next sheffield gig is on as well (hopefully), if not this winter it'll be in the spring of next year. you lot wanna come over and play? Very Happy

aB
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the evil we did was jamming till the cows come home almost nightly- getting high with the music + marlboro reds soft pack. drugs wr for idiots and sex was anything to do with necks, tubes & pumping up the volumes. how bad could that be? minus that occasion when friendly neighbourhood called up the police to tell us to "slow it down a li'l " 3am in the morning, we were really... "nice" people Wink
Of course there will always be people going overboard - both ends of the scale - but lets not go there - we're in it simply 4 da moozik.

have a cool outing on stage bro!
jengofett
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aB[aha!! you meant BIG DEAL eh?]

Yup bro BIG DEAL I remember this one bloke, an ex Brit army guy who would always say " ... whilst I was in Malaya for my tour of duty ....." everytime i came there ... never failled..... Laughing

Talk bout SMSA, it was in 1995/1996 (cant really recalled), we were having the Malaysian Night thingy and to my suprised when I arrived there to perform that nite (...my first instrumental act .... together with my keyboardist) they were staging a demonstration outside the City Hall with all the Sepanduk and all.... Gua buat dek aje ..... sampai turn ... terus ROCK leer ...hahaha.... guess what some of them pun head banging gak .... talk about hypocrite.... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Thats the reason I stayed in Hall of Residence then shift to town area ... senang sikit nak rock .... tarak SMSA nak kacau ....

I guess it must the same in other areas kot .... may be sebab Dr Bode kat sini maka ramai le Sheffillian ....
aB.... you rock man [/quote]
kudo
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that was the last ever msia nite kan? when i met this massoc guy who wanted to organise on (with UMNO club) i told him that if it happens, it'll be the first one in a decade!

we did two gigs in sheffield, one in 1999 and the other in 2002. 1999 went on with no bother at all, and i don't think they were aware there was a gig happening. the 2002 one, well they got whiff of it as one the organisers was a PhD student (the other two was an undergrad and yours truly). emails were a-flying. since i wasn't part of the network, i was oblivious to what was going on. i think they were a lil' miffed as it coincided with the sports meet. oh well. nothing actually happened anyway!

it shouldn't be a problem lah. in newcastle, they even had MSD to cough up some sponsorship money for a gig organised by the malaysian soc. how about that!

the shef gig in 2005/6 should go on without a hitch. here's to hoping!

Bode
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to see the younger generations of the Sheffield Music Coalition writing down their personal historical accounts here...
ab is preparing an intricate flow chart/family tree of the earlier generations and how it all started...I will come in with my account after that. ab was in Sheffield 1 yr before me...so bila baru sampai Sheffiled tu, takut la kat mamat senior kutu ni... Smile

I'm really enjoying the pics too...thanks krik! Keep it coming! Riki...jengo...post ler gambar2 lagi!

Jump to: