back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

what's Syntherziser? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
yi
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: what's Syntherziser? Reply with quote

what is a Syntherziser?
i hav a Casio keyboard( i think it's not a syntherziser), it has synth effect like realtime control, attact time control, modulator control, DSP line control.
i just wanna know what the different a syntherziser & my keyboard?

Thanks![/code]
synthdude
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: You mean synthesizer? Reply with quote

Quote:

Synthesizer

<i>From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.</i>

A synthesizer (spelling var. synthesiser) is an electronic musical instrument designed to produce artificially generated sound, using techniques such as additive, subtractive, FM, physical modelling synthesis, or phase distortion.

Synthesizers create sounds through direct manipulation of electrical currents (as in analog synthesizers), mathematical manipulation of discrete values using computers (as in software synthesizers), or by a combination of both methods. In the final stage of the synthesizer, electrical currents are used to cause vibrations in the diaphragms of loudspeakers, headphones, etc. This synthesized sound is contrasted with recording of natural sound, where the mechanical energy of a sound wave is transformed into a signal which will then be converted back to mechanical energy on playback (though sampling significantly blurs this distinction).

The term "speech synthesizer" is also used in electronic speech processing, often in connection with vocoders.

The Yamaha DX7, a classic FM keyboard synthesizer

<b>More: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthesizer</b>

Your Casio is indeed a synthesizer, albeit a digital rather than an analogue one!
Lord of the Synth
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Synth VS Keyboards Reply with quote

a usually computerized electronic apparatus for the production and control of sound (as for producing music)
(Merriam-Webster)

I think that's the most basic description of the synthesizer....that is, it is basicaly used to generate and modify sound. Synthesizer is used to generate wave forms and then u have the flexibility to stretch and re-shape (intensity, duration, frequency..etc) these wave-forms thus creating new sounds.

Meanwile, keyboards - you have arranger keyboards, just ...keyboards but it all comes down to "making music" as opposed to "making sounds". Ummm...this is from me...hahaha. Probably someone out there can give a better comparison.

Anyway, I hope you saw my posting about a synthesizer gathering...probably you would like to come and learn more about synthesizers. Synthesizers are really cool...you can take a sound, tweak it and make completely new sound. You can create dance music by selecting a patch, or create special effects sounds...stuff like that.
GryMlock
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey synthdude... i see you're surrounded by keys! need any help there? hehe

Yi .. do come to the Gathering and see what's these Roland guys are cooking nowadays.
synthdude
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: I'll be there! Reply with quote

Don't wanna miss out on a chance to walk away with a V-Synth... key chain! Laughing

Jump to: