back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

twosidestoastory + review for the Behringer C1 Condenser Mic « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
energon_drive
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: twosidestoastory + review for the Behringer C1 Condenser Mic Reply with quote

hello kawan kawan sekalian....nak promote sikit gua punye band, twosidestoastory... Embarassed

anyway, im the young ciku drummer ( baru belajar 9 bulan Embarassed ) for this band and we have just completed recording a couple of tracks with Sonique Productiion with Nick Lee mixing and mastering " Sunday" and "Familiar Faces".

If time permits, do check us out at music canteen. This is a new site, navigation is not really friendly. Do preview our tracks...

1) Go to www.musiccanteen.com/index_mc.htm

2) Click on search ( a stupid menu with ABCs will appear with a
blank at the end. copy twosidestoastory and paste to the blank and click
submit)

3) Search Results will display the located artiste. Click on
ARTISTE and then click on twosidestoastory .

There are also 3 bonus tracks recorded at home, Hill Of Hopes, All We Live For and After Me.

For these 3 bonus tracks, all vocals are recorded with the Behringer C1 Condenser mic and it goes into the Presonus Blue Preamp & Compressor and in to Cubase SX2.

Drums for Hill of Hopes are actually MIDI-ed with the VSTi Super Quartet.

Drums for All We Live For. This is quite fun to record. I used a pair of C1s for the overheads. A Shure BG1.1 for the kick ( btw, i cut a small hole to the front skin around 2 inch in diameter and trial and error on the mic placement. Best results was to place the mic just alittle inside from the hole). One karaoke mic for the snare and one more for the toms.

Ive recorded the bass and drums together first to get the rhythm section in first. Then followed by 3 layers of guitars and finally the vocals. Used the WARP Vsti guitar simulator for the guitars. It was really fun to mix live drums but quite a pain cuz my room dont sound too good and this is my 2nd attempt to mix a full band with live instruments. Its kinda hard to drum and record at the same time, constantly running to the PC and back to my drums, nevertheless it was fun.

After Me was done entirely with karaoke mics on all drums, except for the vox with the C1. Due to time constraints, dont really have the time to properly mix this. Dont really like this too much, the guitars were too soft, ah...oh well. This was my first attempt. Embarassed

All tracks are mastered at Sonique Productions. Nick knows his stuff and it was a joy to work with him.

The C1s are not that bad given the price. Very good for drum overheads. Once the mic is warmed up by the phantom power, the sensitivity of the mics are so clear you hardly need to increase the gain on my Spirit mixer. But do try a few placements for the overheads. One of the earlier drum recordings for All We Live For was screwed cuz the toms were too loud due to the placement. So i had to move the mics alittle sideways to avoid capturing too much of the toms, still its a little loud at certain places. I recorded in my room, low ceiling (8 feet??) the kick sounds ok ( wished i had a proper kick mic) but i didnt really like the sound of my snare in the room. Too much reflections.

For vocals, clarity is certainly there. Its actually quite tricky to get a good vocal take. Again, placement and room make alotta difference. And it depends alot on the vocalist as well. As for the C1, i guess its adequate for vocals at this time. I certainly would like to get the Studio Projects ( one of these, either the C1 or B1), when i got the duits la.

thanks!!! Very Happy

http://www.i-bands.net/audiovault/bands/1856/

Jump to: