back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

how come « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
adam
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: how come Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

how come our education system only recognise one type of genius which is genius in all aspects?kinda sucks dunnit?get straight A's and you're a genius.get one A and you're nowhere.
http://www.myspace.com/flirtingwithsleep
totziens
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, our education system sucks. Everyone is so focus on the "A"s - sounds like "Ass" to me.

I still think a lot of people get As because of their memorising skill in this country. They don't know how to apply what they learn in their lives. In local exams up to college level, certain subjects we can memorise everything just to get through the exam. I am not sure about local universities. I suspect they're the same because someone from a local university told me she memorised programming codes to sit for exams. She was a top student from the university but was very scared when she came out to work. I was wondering why she was so worried initially...I thought a top student should be able to cope with her work like eating peanuts.

I didn't know about the purpose of studying Chemistry back in secondary school. Nobody explained to me the purpose of this subject and how to apply it in real life (besides the crazy scientist stuff we watch on tv). I had no clue how to study this subject and did very badly in exams. Only in the recent years when I started to keep some tropical fishes I learned that chemistry is quite interesting...I wish I know more about it.

I know of average students in my university who are doing much better than the top students in the real working environment because they really know how to apply their knowledge.

I think the education system should focus on applying the knowledge rather than expecting straight answers.

In my university (UK), we could end up failing the exam if we wrote everything straight from the book or answering without giving any example and explanation. I am not trying to bullshit about my former university - it's a normal university with nothing to shout about...it's not MIT, Oxford or Cambridge
Jailhouserock
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until now, I dont' understand why they separate the kids at schools.
Yg pandai kat kelas pandai. Yg kurang pandai kat kelas dia.

I've observe it and asked my brothers and their friends about their school/class. Usually, teachers don't care much about you when your in a not so good class. Some teachers don't even check their exercises books for months!!!

How can they (the not so good students) learn from their friends if they're separated? Any school teachers here? Can you explain it?
GryMlock
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah. I got an A for my Biology (SPM), eventhough i hate it. I memorized all the popular stuffs. and it works ler for getting an "A" sake.

I have hehe a few friends.. IT Grads, but don't know much bout IT. then lepas tu jadi lecturer pulak. hehe.. it's so funny. I don't see how they can show the students the real working IT world since they themselves are totally text book.

they probably have lotsa creative imagination Laughing
HuntressM00n
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

I happen to be one of the scholarship student in college. and knowing those GPA scholaship students i know, i happen to be the outcast.

i rather spend my days during break time in college gambling with the other students and drinking beer before class but i still manage to survive.

To me getting all A's will make you not a genius but a certified photostate machine.
A genius comes out with new theory and able to manage damage control at all levels.

Honestly, when it comes to straight A's student, they are not streetwise, they will be bound by the goverment or working for someone else with a high position of course.

heck, they can't even settle when their car crash into someone's car. Luckily i was there to talk it out.
my friends were like but we are at fault.

i smiled and adviced them this. " RULE number one, when it comes to an accident, die die also never admit you are wrong"

they went blur.

But you know what sucks? i lose by 2 marks to this girl name Jade, to study in Cambridge full scholarship. She explained and applied the theory of ANSOFF matrix!
i came up with my own business strategy, its called the SPIDER MATRIX. and it took me a whole year to design it and coming out with the application of it.
everyone took it as a joke! i saw some flaws in ANSOFF matrix ok! that does it mean i have to agree with it! so i came out with my own marketing tool. is that wrong?

the argument was it looked confusing, because of the webs.

although i explained it to the lecturers that each web has it own significant and the spider is the consumer. i even explained the application of it!

but i don't blame them, because that time it was showing some Spiderman movie. grrrrrr

Leonardo Da Vinci was never in school, never got his A's but he is a genius though, his work is with millions!

one day my spider matrix application wll make me rich! wahhah
GryMlock
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude separating the kids will help the school/teachers. They can arrange or plan different2 menthod for different classes according to their level of acceptance. I'm not a school teacher but my girlfriend is. She always cerita to me all her plans and stuffs for different2 classes.

for primary schools.. and secondary also lah. if u put the slower ones together with the brighter ones, the'll not wanna learn from the pandai2 one. they'll kacau!
HuntressM00n
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

GryMlock wrote:
dude separating the kids will help the school/teachers. They can arrange or plan different2 menthod for different classes according to their level of acceptance. I'm not a school teacher but my girlfriend is. She always cerita to me all her plans and stuffs for different2 classes.

for primary schools.. and secondary also lah. if u put the slower ones together with the brighter ones, the'll not wanna learn from the pandai2 one. they'll kacau!

wat got girlfren already.. bila kawen? wooooooo ajeepop buat kenduri ye!
totziens
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jailhouserock, well....maybe u have read my post in other thread...I assume u haven't.

I am not a school teacher but my former schools did this kind of experiment before - mixing all the students regardless of grades in one class. The teachers and headmaster were hoping that the bad students will learn from the good ones. Unfortunately, in reality, the good ones learned from the bad ones. We learned all the bad words. We learned to be rebelious - going against school regulation. We learned to admire/stalk girls (maybe this is not so bad...at least I didn't turn gay..haha). We learned to fight. The list goes on and on....we all think it's so cool to mix with the bad students. I even called some of them my "si fu". No doubt it was fun and I still remember the good old experimental days but in terms of improving the results of students..I doubt!!! In terms of improving the relationship of good and bad students...it definitely helped.
HuntressM00n
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

i skipped 79 days in form 5, but managed to get 4 A's, i got my scholarship because of my straight A's in A levels.

and those who were smarter than I in highschool and used to be smug about it, and plus look down on me! is now working as a citibank sales girl.. study science for what in school? come out become salesman only!

The highschool Renuion was the best time of my life! it was my turn to look down on all of them. Yeay so i fight in school, fight and beat a teacher, was in counselling for 3 months when i was in form 4, always standing outside the class for not bringing books to school. heck i dun even have a school back, all i need is my pocket.

Before recess i am in class, after recess i am missing. and i am not alone. Plus it was the first best class in art stream.

and guess what? My group of friends who happen to get involved in ponteng, mencabar pengawas, yeah real bad ass are now, one of them is in Oxford the girl's college studying Literature who has a Mohawk white BF, the other one in Australia working as a PR, One is the Human Resource manager for X fresh, one work for British American Tabaco.
deadzid
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

parents these days are so worried about their kids that they sent them to tuition classes starting from Darjah Satu! some parent send their todlers to school at the age of 2! coz competition is so high, there are lots of bright kids nowadays and they have to compete amongst themselves..

i've to admit that i even talk to my baby while he was still in the womb, played some lovely tunes to him, forced my wife to drink milk twice daily, all to stimulate my baby's brain hoping that he'll grow up to be a smart kid. but sending him to school at the age of two?? c'mon, those kids should enjoy themself, play alot, explore n experience everything, like we used to... not to pressure them like this! thank goodness i was born during the 70's! hahah
> mockspecial.com
totziens
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least the top student from my secondary school is really a smart one. She's a doctor with a husband who is also a doctor.....maybe with another doctor son/daughter...Very Happy
HuntressM00n
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

OMG! i pity my kid my man. If i have a kid on my own, definately i will ban him to be a musician! but still name him Ibanez.

Be very strict to him, make sure he has no life and no computer games are allowed unless he draft me a proposal on why he wants to be a musicians and how he wants to achieve his objectives.

and if i have a girl, i will put her to drum classes and learn how to be a musician. probably call her Amber.
But of course, studies comes first. If she wants to lepak with friends, drink beer smoke a joint, make sure she drafts me a proposal on how she wants to do.
adam
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

segregation in schools is what makes a kind of prejudice society abit dunnit?

it would be cool if schools thought kids about how to live outside,human sciences,spirituality and how to contribute to society..stuff like that ,and also if they encourage what ever ability the child may have at such an early age.and if they dont know what yet..just shower them with all kinds of awesome things to give them a more progressive way of thinking.<--alamak rusak ma engrish sa..

if the greatest doctor in the world does't know how to tie his shoe,does it mean hes a dumbass?
adam
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

i think i will teach my kids by showing them how its done first hand.like bringing them to places and stuff.
adam
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

'genius' should not be confined and limited to the 'renaissance man' only.what if im great at sex for instance ehehehe.....

Jump to: