back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Death Anniversary of John Peel « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
totziens
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Death Anniversary of John Peel Reply with quote

Since it's around the corner of his first death anniversary, I am just wondering whether anyone would like to share their experience about their exposure to this excellent deejay from BBC - the late John Peel.

I'll let someone to break the ice. I'll post mine next week.
totziens
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe...I forgot all about this thread.

My first exposure to John Peel was way back in the late 80s. It happened by chance when I was randomly tuning to the Short Wave radio stations. This guy played weird music and I thought it was cool. Those days (actually it's still the same now) hearing music by bands such as The Fall, Man Or Astroman, Wedding Present, Dick Dale, etc was very rare on the radio. I rarely had the opportunity to tune in to the radio programs of John Peel due to the odd hours because of the timezone issue.

In the mid 90s, I studied in England for a year. I had never missed the radio programs of John Peel every Sunday evening. Sunday was the best day of the week for Radio 1 of BBC because at about 7 or 8pm was the Rock Show featuring metal bands, followed by Peel session and the program by Andy Kershaw. Those days, a few of my uni mates and I were trying to set up a uni radio station and I proposed something like Peel session - everyone loved the idea. Unfortunately, our ambition didn't came true as we're lack of fund. I even emailed John asking whether he would be interested in Malaysian underground bands and I offered to help him. Unfortunately he didn't reply.

I lost in touch with the radio programs in BBC ever since I returned to Malaysia. It was a shock to me when I heard that the greatest deejay passed away last year.

Jump to: