back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Post new topic  Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Guitar Magazine « View previous topic :: View next topic »
Author Message
Jailhouserock
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Guitar Magazine Reply with quote

Joined: 13 Jun 2005
Location: Not of this earth

What kind of guitar magazine do you guys read?
I used to buy Guitar Player but I stopped it. They got too much ads!
I heard Guitar Techniques is much more better but I haven't read it yet.

Oh ya, if you wanna get a cheap guitar magazine, go to Uptown. They got bass, drum and keyboard's mag as well. The price is RM15.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
kudo
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 23 Mar 2004
Location: sheffield, england

guitar world's my favourite as they have at least 5 tablatured songs (incl bass tabs). i have become lazier now and not learn any songs religiously, but i still buy it as the interviews and gear reviews (US-centric it may be) are great.

guitar one (previously called guitar) is so-so but they have really good lessons aimed for readers from the beginner's level like myself to shredmasters!

guitarist magazine from the UK is great but i only buy it if they have interviews with guitarists i like or when i have an itch to buy new gear (great ads inside - only a phonecall/email away, altho with eBay now, i don't really need ads!). they have lessons with CDs too (american mags have CDs but they aren't available for the non-US market).

in malaysia they do cost a bomb, though!
_________________
"my small self...like a book amongst the many on a shelf.."

"Welcome to Tube Club. The first rule of Tube Club: you do not talk about solid state." -The Uncle

Back to top
dark_tern
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 06 Sep 2005

guitar world...
Back to top
wui223
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Guitar Magazine Reply with quote

Joined: 05 Sep 2005

Jailhouserock wrote:
What kind of guitar magazine do you guys read?
I used to buy Guitar Player but I stopped it. They got too much ads!
I heard Guitar Techniques is much more better but I haven't read it yet.

Oh ya, if you wanna get a cheap guitar magazine, go to Uptown. They got bass, drum and keyboard's mag as well. The price is RM15.

Can u give me the address of the shop? or something like map? at least the contact method coz i am not familiar with that area. thanks
Back to top
stratopedia
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 31 Jul 2005

I used to read Total Guitar. But that was about 10 years ago. Simply because they had tons of backing track and they 'used' to cover stories on guitar legends only.

I stopped buying when I got more access to the Internet where I can just download backing tracks and look for tabs at the click of a button. Also, they started to cover Good Charlotte, Simple Plan and a wide array of NuMetal bands. Which doubtlessly sucked.

Selamat Hari Raya!
Back to top
Jailhouserock
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Guitar Magazine Reply with quote

Joined: 13 Jun 2005
Location: Not of this earth

wui223 wrote:

Can u give me the address of the shop? or something like map? at least the contact method coz i am not familiar with that area. thanks

The shop (not really a shop but a gerai/stall) located at Uptown. I dunno it's specific name but it is where people go for shopping and eating. The stalls usually open after 12am. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
silbi
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 12 Oct 2005

stratopedia wrote:
I used to read Total Guitar. But that was about 10 years ago. Simply because they had tons of backing track and they 'used' to cover stories on guitar legends only.

I stopped buying when I got more access to the Internet where I can just download backing tracks and look for tabs at the click of a button. Also, they started to cover Good Charlotte, Simple Plan and a wide array of NuMetal bands. Which doubtlessly sucked.

Selamat Hari Raya!

yeah...guitar pro v 4 and guitartabs.net rule! only knew about these sites like 6 mths ago ang got hooked ever since...

so no more mags for me for tabs.

as for chords of current malay / indo songs which i'm lazy to cary myself, i buy those cheap 'gitar kod' books from mamak stall. haha...they're quite reliable actually...happy just to got the chords for Dewa's Pengiran Cinta...

but how come i cant get any kenny wayne shepard in mysongbook.com?

Sg Wang u can get old issues of guitar mags for cheap sometimes...
Back to top
LOFX
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 15 Apr 2004
Location: weekdays JB weekend BP

Guitar World la, banyak dpt ilmu drp mags tu.
_________________
KERAJAAN KABUS
Back to top
khairold
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 08 Jul 2005
Location: Ampang

Guitarist, Guitar Technique, and Total Guitar

Guitarist have more articles while Guitar Technique is purely tutorial
Total Guitar in my opinion is somewhere in the middle

i stop reading Guitar World and Guitar Player because they're littered with ads

i love all of them but i'll only buy if i find the content interesting
they cover various types and music and in my opinion if u can finish and master the tutorials of even only one edition of the magazine, u'll be a much much better player
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
deadzid
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Joined: 13 Feb 2004
Location: Shah Alam

abg Rom's "Guitar & Bass".. got almost whole collection of it, but sadly it's discontinued!
_________________
> facebook
> youtube
> my-mic
> mockspecial.com
Back to top
Dufresne
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 14 Dec 2005

deadzid wrote:
abg Rom's "Guitar & Bass".. got almost whole collection of it, but sadly it's discontinued!

Hehe... Very Happy
Ade jugak fan mag tu...
I used to write for him, a couple of years ago, u've probably read some of my work...(chaiitt...! Razz )
Doing gear review is fun man, its freakin awesome, except when i had to do some bass stuff, tu kekok skit la, kena buat byk research, a bit time consuming. And i got to keep copies for free... Smile
Btw, he did called me up bout a month ago, just to know whether i was interested in writing again. It should be release again, hehe...

Guitar Mags? Hmmm...
Guitar World for me. Dah nak 10 thn dah ni. Kalo kira suma duit yg invest beli GW dgn Guitar Legends, blh angkat Les Paul dah kot...about the adds, aku suka la tgk, sbb adds tu byk bende2 baru. Nowadays they put an add there, if the company has a webpage, if u're interested with the product, u just surf the net & find out more about it. Also, tabs dia best, & right now at the last page ade tunjuk current rig of famous guitarist, which is uber cool...!

Guitar One is a close second, tabs lg byk, but somehow content dia doesnt hit the mark la. Eg, kalo GW buat feature, or tabs, artist/bands yg dorang feature mesti jd acts yg best giler, well known la. Guitar One x buat mcm tu. Its like MTV & VH1 la, if u will....

I'd like to buy Young Guitar, but kena blajaq ckp Jepun dulu...hehe

Cheers... Cool

Cheers...
Back to top
silbi
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 12 Oct 2005

Dufresne wrote:
[

I'd like to buy Young Guitar, but kena blajaq ckp Jepun dulu...hehe

Cheers... Cool

Cheers...

I used to have like 6, 7 copies of Young Guitar 10 years ago which were supplied by my sis who was studying in Japan at that time...dia hantar kat asrama sekolah aku, so everytime sampai sure envelope dah terbukak coz warden2 asrama ingat aku seludup porn mag ke...hehe..

Young Guitar punye article nampak best giler utk dibaca, but sadly i only know Japanese hiragana...katakana pun fail...kanji lagi lah haram tak reti...so sampai sekarang tengok gambar je lah and read some tabs.

The great thing about the mag is that some tabs dia kasi full band score...so you can get all tabs / notes for all instruments of the band.

Anyways, tabs from mags are not that important for me nowadays since i have Guitar Pro...heard latest improved version is already out....click mouse je dah dapat desiredlagu ...best gilos...main je tak reti2 lagi....haha

btw - anyone know websites to get good tabs for songs from Kenny Wayne Shepard???
Back to top
deadzid
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Joined: 13 Feb 2004
Location: Shah Alam

Dufresne wrote:
Hehe... Very Happy
Ade jugak fan mag tu...
I used to write for him, a couple of years ago, u've probably read some of my work...(chaiitt...! Razz )
Doing gear review is fun man, its freakin awesome, except when i had to do some bass stuff, tu kekok skit la, kena buat byk research, a bit time consuming. And i got to keep copies for free... Smile
Btw, he did called me up bout a month ago, just to know whether i was interested in writing again. It should be release again, hehe...

hohoho so hang la yg bikin gear reviews tu? favourite section aku dlm mag tu memang Gear Review pon! tu pasal aku kumpul every month.. heheh serious shit!

hopefully diaorang continue balik magazine nih..
_________________
> facebook
> youtube
> my-mic
> mockspecial.com
Back to top
Dufresne
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 14 Dec 2005

Yup, guilty... Smile
Its kinda cool actually...imagine, u go to Bentley, & u have the power to try out anything u want, & no pesky salesperson can say anything to u. They cant tell u to hurry up, or ask u whether u're going to buy that or not...for as long as u're there, u're invincible, hehe Twisted Evil

But is not always that cool la, esp when Man Kidal, Samad & the rest of Lefthanded standing a few feet away, watching u play "manhattan"... Confused That is not my proudest moment, that it isnt...

If u feel like the reviews r too short, x blh buat pe dude...1st article i wrote, he said it was too long. Susah nak bg thorough evaluation kalo space skit sgt, but i try la. X blh buat mcm The Star nye review, tu best...but i hope the readers paham la what wrote in those reviews, hehe...

silbi...
At least ko paham la skit2 pon, aku hampeh x tau ape, fonts tu sume bg aku simbol je, hehe....
But its ok la, since i used to buy all these Japan car tuner mags, everything in japanese, but i sort of understand the articles, & get to see all these souped up cars, so it cool...

Cheers... Cool
Back to top
silbi
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 12 Oct 2005

got an error on my last post - i got those Young Guitar mags back in school not 10 years ago, but 15 years ago! (SPM '91) duh...How time flies huh?? Perasan muda pulak! haha...and yes, i can read hiragana...but sadly i can't understand sh*t! Jap lingo is quite complex...Was into that lingo coz i had a cute and veri sempoi sensei...her name was Atsuko Kodani. Cool

Dusfrene.
U reviewed for Guitar n Bass? Cayo geng. I'm sure i must have read your articles in some of the issues. I used to do freelance writing too, but for Klue...tapi review gigs je lah, nak review gears or guitar playing haram ler (tapi takat review hifi aku ok kot Rolling Eyes )

...if you guys pernah baca Klue mag zaman2 awal issue 1 - 15 ke, most articles on Planet Hollywood's Sunday Nite Live gigs aku ler tukang cerita...i had a blast those days!! Macam VIP pulak bila turun Planet... But Iwas limited to only write for 400 words per article...taram je lah...pasal nanti editor jadi tukang edit kasi gempaq sikit before publish. My first assignment dulu was to review a gig on Bushmen (band S;pore reggae) play in some pub in Ampang...Rastafarians siot!

now since dah retire (or tak laku kot?) dah takde review lagi dah...but i really miss those days! Ada gak tanya2 Star nak jadi freelance for Audiophile (AV section) depa tapi sampai sekarang tak tersubmit writing samples lagi...

so i can understand you bro! Aku tahu first time article ko keluar sure bangga giler...hehe...been there too...But like all fun things, they dont last very long...sigh!

Japanese car tuner mag - ehem...ko tengok souped up cars ke souped up girls??! hehe...aku lagi suka layan Import Tuner...groovy cars, groovy gals!
Back to top
Display posts from previous:
Post new topic  Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next Page 1 of 7

Jump to:

You cannot vote in polls in this forum

DAJ Glass template by Dustin Baccetti
EQ graphic based off of a design from www.freeclipart.nu