back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Self Tought vs Formal Education Musician.. « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
undefined
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Self Tought vs Formal Education Musician.. Reply with quote

soalan:

- u guys fall under which group?
- ape kelebihan your group compare to other group?
- adv and disadv between those groups?
- what do u think of these group in term of:
---> creativity in composing songs?
---> live performence?
---> reading music?
---> popularity
---> satisfaction?
totziens
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Self Tought vs Formal Education Musician.. Reply with quote

soalan:

Answer: Groupie group

Answer: We sucks

Answer: adv is because we don't have disadv

Answer: Just making noise. No composing.

---> live performence?
Answer: We're dead

---> reading music?
Answer: We don't even know ABC...oops! I've typed "ABC"

---> popularity
Answer: No, we're fuckability

---> satisfaction?
Answer: Isn't that a Rolling Stone's song???

Hehehe....Azwi, sorry for the sabotage with my nonsense... Twisted Evil
fReqZz
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i sure do agree at some point...
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

i dun really faham this thread at all. mind elaborating please
Bode
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had organ classes when I was a kid, but I hated all the theory stuff and never paid attention to it...only learn them for exams and then just prefer to forget everything...after that, progressed on keyboards and started guitar much2 later the self taught way...

I think it is down to the individual's discipline, attitudes and talents which will decide whether somebody turns out to be good or not....regardless on whether they are self taught or had formal education.

I have seen music grads whom dont impress me at all...and at the same time I have seen self taught musicians who actually end up teaching at jazz schools...to quote extremes...
totziens
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irene, forget my post. I was just trying to be an idiot. I think that confuses you.

Bode has a good example of the stuff expected from Azwi.
HuntressM00n
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

oh ok.. no probs.

Well i remember once, at primary school i hated MUSIC class and i tend to ponteng as much as i can. I attended the class like hotel. imagine i only came for the exams but never got more than 1/100, it was always zero for theory but i score the highest for practical.

why?
Because i tend to create my own notes but i love the recorder classes just not the theory bullshit or just tembak a, b , c or d.

Then from the recorder, i upgraded myself to play the saxophone, i learnt from my grandad, because i have been messing with his saxophone so he bought a plastic one for me.

Soon I played the flute after i complained that i don't want to play the acordian for a marching band, i hated the long stupid hats and carrying the accordian was too heavy for my age underneath the hot sun.

But one thing though, i regreted that i should have paid more attention in my theory classes coz now, i cant read tabs for jack.
At least with theory, i can play most of the instruments and upgraded myself in music.

Coz right now, i am just a vocalist who only know how to play BLOW instruments.
totziens
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The recorder class....maybe I have mentioned this before but I don't mind repeating.

At the age of 12, I was forced to learn it at my school. I didn't (I still don't) understand a damn thing about music. I thought it was rubbish and sissy. I didn't practise...those kids who practised at home annoyed me with the noise. Every week in the class, I was only pretending to play the recorder. In reality, there's no sound coming out from my recorder and I could not play at all. Believe it or not, I managed to escape from being discovered by the teacher for the entire year.

Now I regret for not knowing anything about music and I am still lazy to learn Smile

Back to the topic, I believe in self taught with a bit of guidance in music. I mentioned "guidance" because once I tried to learn guitar without realising that the guitar was out of tune. A friend discovered that and I was so embarassed that I abandoned the guitar completely. Well, if I didn't abandon the guitar, maybe I could be the king of distorted guitar now...haha
undefined
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as i know, there's not any music course of musicians whose LEFTHANDED, it is true? I myself is a lefthanded try to play with righthanded instruments... Smile
ammirhafzan
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm..good topic to discuss. For , i'm 99% self taught, 1% formal. I've been into music since std 4 and never turn back. Starting with Kapok, ABBA, Bombeat Radios, Apache cassettes and now Line6. It's just go back into believing in yourself to do what you like. Seriousness, is a must. Not porpular..coz i'm not into posing, sms or AF. I've been assisting bands for years in mu studio. I've tried few teachers and they taught me half way. From no name teacher to a superstar guitarist. Everybody with diferrent method & perception. I agreed with Bode 100%. I've seen well taught music students whom can play well & good in writing notes but, can't play within group of people. They just don't impress me at all. No, I can't baca altough i've gone through theory class coz i just don't. But, i know the basic thoery and it applies in my music. Live show... i've been in various places .It's a place for you to prove. Composing, still trying to record something. Now, I've new band playing rock music but still no name..can suggest one. Looking forward to play live shows.
Misc --> Ritter guitar bag, Gator soft case for mfx
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cartman, eric
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Self Tought vs Formal Education Musician.. Reply with quote

undefined wrote:
soalan:

---> live performence?
---> reading music?
---> popularity
---> satisfaction?

i fall under self thought group...

kelebihan of self thought...??i wouldn't know.
    but having formal education, i think you can better understand music theories... as opposed to self thought, you kinda bantai thru stuff, skipping stuff you kinda don't understand, and there's nobody to correct you, so you wouldn't know what you are doin is right or wrong

advantages between groups, a lot between those two
    but for me surely, the disadvantages is timing.i really suck in that department
    i learnt to play the guitar back in 1999, all by myself with a book, and been a bedroom guitarist till mid 2005.
    i didn't know stuff like click track/metronome existed, what the hell it was and so on. now i'm struggling, going back to basics and start all over again.

all the other questions, i have no comments, i have a long way to go, very very long...before i can evan make comments

*that being said, can i get some pointer from you otais, on how to really make full use of the metronome and any other pointers that might be helpful...??*

p/s sorry sbb hijack...hehe... Embarassed

Cheers

Jump to: