back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Guthrie Govan Rules « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
MiN
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Guthrie Govan Rules Reply with quote

Hi guys,

just want to promote one of my favourite guitar player named Guthrie Govan.

He is one of the best guitarist in the planet. some of you might not have heard of him yet but damn this player really is something.

As of today i have not seen any guitar player who is better and more versatile than Guthrie Govan.

I have met this guy 3 times when i was in the UK and he is so humble.

Here are some comments from great guitar players who talked about Guthrie Govan.

here it is:-

Greg Howe

Greg saw Guthrie play here on Jan 20 and 21. Being the very high-profile player he is, the audience members were quick to jump on Greg and ask, "So, Greg, what did you think of Guthrie?" Here are some reported comments:

"Time for me to start practicing!"

"I feel like I've been beaten down!"

"Just amazing. When I was watching him - I was saying to myself - He did what? I never thought of that? What did he just do? No I don't think I can do that?.......etc......"

Scott Henderson

I was talking with Scott on Jan 23 about the week's happenings and mentioned to him that Greg Howe was over. Scott commented, "Yeah, Greg's a great player." And then, he said:

"And I like Guthrie a lot. He's a great player. Amazing chops."

Dweezil Zappa

Dweezil is already one of Guthrie's biggest fans.

"He is so articulate that it's bizarre."

"It's pretty amazing that he could change styles so comfortably."

"I don't think I've been this excited by a new player since EVH!"

Scott Jones

A monster player himself, Scott posted the following on various message boards.

"Govan is the next player to make history with the instrument....he is so off the planet, and beyond the instrument, that I've never seen anything like it."

Joel Hoekstra

Joel was around for the festivities and his gig on Jan 23 and got to meet Guthrie and catch part of the Jan 21 show.

"Guthrie is awesome. I was watching him that night (Jan 21) and I was thinking, 'Man, it'd be nice to be able to do that kind of stuff!' I wish I could do it, but I just don't have that kind of chops."

Bumblefoot

Mr. Bumblefoot is a big fan of Guthrie's (as Guthrie is a big fan of Bumblefoot) and he had this to say on a thread about Guthrie on the Petrucci Forum:

"Guthrie is my favorite."

Bumblefoot's sidekick monster kid guitarist, Ben Litchman, said:

"Guthrie is so good that it's EVIL!"

John 5 was over for the Jan 21 show and it seemed that he was specifically over to check out Guthrie. He seemed to enjoy it a lot and people could tell that he was impressed, but I don't have any quotes that I could share. That's about all I've got for now. Will add to this list as more accolades come in. It'll probably end up being a very long thread.

The latest celebrity to discover Guthrie is Matt Scannell of Vertical Horizon. He got in touch with Noel at TM about getting the DVD's after Matt heard about Guthrie from John Suhr. Here are some comments:

This is after seeing the video clips on the TM site:

"It's Matt Scannell from Vertical Horizon here. I was talking with John Suhr about Guthrie Govan and I found my way over to your site. I was looking at the clips of him playing at your store and I just wet myself. That guy is BEYOND stupidly good. I'd like to buy the DVD of the performance. How should I do this? I mean, come ON!! Amazingly inspiring guitar playing."

And the following after he got the DVDs:

"Thanks SO much for sending out these DVD's. Guthrie is just one of the most incredible talents I've seen. It's breathtaking... and the best part is I got them just in time to take them with me back out on the road. I'm in Albany tonight and I'm all fired up to get back to the hotel and get schooled by him! That bastard!!!!"

Scott Henderson was over at Suhr's and I was showing him snippets of the Jan 20 show DVD which is not being released because Guthrie just wasn't all that happy with his playing. I skipped around the DVD to the solos by Guthrie and Scott watched and listened with a good deal of interest. Those solos are posted on the Media section.

Scott really dug Guthrie's lines on Headin' Home. Scott's comments were: "I like his lines." "He's so precise." "He sure has chops." Then I skipped over to the solo on Hide and Seek. "He makes difficult things look so easy. Those licks and lines aren't easy stuff to pull off." Then I skipped over to Guthrie's ferocious shredding on Lucky Seven. "Look at him pick. I couldn't even get near to picking like that."

Scott's a real humble down-to-earth guy as well, although he tends to be somewhat more outspoken than Guthrie or Greg - Scott's comments about KennyG can attest to that! When I told Scott that Guthrie is a huge fan of his and that Guthrie really looks up to him, Scott just looked down and said, "I don't why he would..." And he was very genuine about it. He's so self-critical.

I feel real fortunate to be able to talk and work with Scott, Greg, and Guthrie on a regular basis. The most refreshing thing is that they're just real pure musicians with no egos whatsoever to speak of and who are so humble when they're all really amazing monster players.

there you go guys some comments made of Guthrie Govan which i copied from internet and posted it here.

what do you think??
el_decameron
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Guthrie Govan Reply with quote

Right on MiN...

Guthrie is inspirational...

For those with fast connection can check his music/playing out at...

http://www.tonemerchants.com/

...Guitar Clinic link...cornford amp demo...

btw...another awesome British guitarist>>>>Jan Cyrka...
pali
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah gutrie is the man.. inspires me a lot though i'll never play like him in a million years
gapster
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bumblefoot,Greg Howe - my guitar idol

when both of them says Govan is GOOD ..MEANS HE IS GOOD Cool

hey anybody got any Audio / Video of him ? (beisdes the guitar clinic posted above )

do post up i didn't really dig him yet ..thanks

MiN
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Guthrie Govan Reply with quote

el_decameron wrote:
Right on MiN...

Guthrie is inspirational...

For those with fast connection can check his music/playing out at...

http://www.tonemerchants.com/

...Guitar Clinic link...cornford amp demo...

btw...another awesome British guitarist>>>>Jan Cyrka...

cool bro.....you like him too
Jailhouserock
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't heard about him before this but I'll check it out.
cool
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah,that's true. he is really amazing guitar player.
i've heard his guitar lesson cd,which contains songs from SRV, vai , hendrix ,eric johnson and many more.
i wonder how he can 'feel' all those songs, especially when he played for the love of god ( vai ) and manhattan ( johnson )...the sound was really really like the original recorded. wow!! dahsyat!
madhatter
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aku cuma dengar nama mamat ni kt i-bands ni tp x penah tgk/dengar dia main. Nk tgk vids tu pun xleh sbb connection slow. Dia ada cd kuar x? Camana sblm ni x penah dgr nama dia then suddenly out of the blue dia leh kuar n ada good reputation? Dia gitaris band mana2 ker?

'No reason to get excited,' the thief he kindly spoke.
MiN
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madhatter wrote:
Aku cuma dengar nama mamat ni kt i-bands ni tp x penah tgk/dengar dia main. Nk tgk vids tu pun xleh sbb connection slow. Dia ada cd kuar x? Camana sblm ni x penah dgr nama dia then suddenly out of the blue dia leh kuar n ada good reputation? Dia gitaris band mana2 ker?

Die sebelum ni low profile jer.....winner of best guitarist 1993 kat UK dulu....

pastu die jadi tutor guitar kat beberapa guitar institute kat UK. die akan release album november. die endorsee guitar Suhr dan jugak Cornford Amps.

die dah main kat US setelah kena endorse barulah org mula kenal akan die tuh.

die session band ASIA.

bagi aku die a new breed of guitar player. A real virtusoso amongst virtuosos....the best
cool
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://online-discussion.dhenderson.com/GuthrieGovan/
madhatter
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aahhh baru clear semua. Thx Min sbb jwb sebjik2 soalan aku. Ni yg buat aku xcited nak try dengar mamat guthrie govan ni. Leceh betul la guna internet kt cc ni... headphone pun bisu jer!

'No reason to get excited,' the thief he kindly spoke.
khairold
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i buying UK guitar magazine (Guitarist, Guitar Technique & Total Guitar) sparringly of course because of their price

and Guthrie Govan is one of the editor and the transcription and his playing in the CD often get high marks from the readers
MiN
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow....seems bro Bode pun dah jadi member guthrie govan discussion online......cool
Bode
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MiN wrote:
wow....seems bro Bode pun dah jadi member guthrie govan discussion online......cool

Wey...cakap la hello kat aku! Aku pi kat thread kau tak jawab pun? Laughing

Anyway...here's what I have to say about Guthrie in one of my posts there:
Quote:
This is a very interesting and intelligent thread to read! I respect everyone's opinions here, and it's true that in the end it's all down to personal taste.
I love a lot of guitar players...each player touches me in a different way...from George Benson's tasty runs... Neal Schon's 'crying' bends...Gary Moore's vocal melodic lines to Paul Gilbert's rapid fire picking and Jason Becker's arpeggios... etc. etc.
But Guthrie somehow catches my interest in an inexplicable way. After Nuno Bettencourt in the early 90's...there were still 'guitar heroes' sprouting from every corner of the planet until now, but somehow none of their playing can touch me deeply like Guthrie's. Again...this is purely subjective...being a die hard Guthrie fan...but to me, just like the more influential players who re-define the boundaries of the guitar in each decade, like what Jimi Hendrix was to the late 60's, EVH to the late 70's/early-mid 80's, Vai/Satch/Malmsteen to the late 80's and so forth...I think Guthrie is the guitar player who is fulfilling that role for the current era. He may not be that famous/influential yet due to the lack of exposure that he so deserves (I dont think Steve Vai's talents would be that well known if not for the DLR gig), but Guthrie is definitely the guitarist who can quench my thirst for something fresh, technically and emotionally.
I just hope David Coverdale or somebody in that ilk will snap him up and unleash him to larger audiences...so that he gets the recognition that he truly deserves. Smile

Although I hate to coin the phrase 'best guitarist' because so many different guitar heroes has their own unique musical offerings, I somehow am brave enough to probably call Guthrie that(though I'm not surprised if a debate comes up protesting me on that, due to everyone's subjective tastes). I joined the forums for many things...to get more soundclips of him playing(while awaiting his album), to learn(there are lots of scary world class players there...Rick Graham for instance, whose solo appeared alongside Guthrie's in this clip:
www.rick-graham.co.uk/fusionjam.wma )...and of course to hopefully expose my music to likeminded people.

I've also put up one of my solo clips there for review(yeah...I mustered enough courage to upload my solo on Guthrie Govan's forum! Some may call it suicide! Laughing )

The problem about knowing how good and versatile Guthrie is, is that even if he releases one whole album, I dont think that album can truly capture wholly the vastness of his talent and his versatility.

Anyway...if you've listened to Guthrie, you may agree with me about what I think of him...but even if you dont, you will still have to admit that he's definitely amongst the world's very best Smile

Last edited by Bode on Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:59 am; edited 2 times in total
Bode
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some Guthrie Govan clips:

This one is a shredfest:
http://www.online-discussion.com/GuthrieGovan/Photos/Fives_Solo.mp3

This one showcases his great melodic sense when soloing. Guthrie can do the amazing vibrato of death effortlessly, but on this one, he keeps his vibrato sweet while concentrating more on melodic content/phrasing to complement the song...even when ne speeds up, he is still is contributing musically within the context of the song.
http://www.online-discussion.com/GuthrieGovan/Photos/GTF-Asia%20clip.mp3

For more clips...you can register in the forums:
http://online-discussion.dhenderson.com/GuthrieGovan/

Guthrie's rig:

Jump to: