back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Metal guitarist learning corner « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
calibre2001
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Metal guitarist learning corner Reply with quote

OK, I notice this forum has loads of metalheads ( you know who you are) and probably alot of damn good ones too.

Share your tips on becoming a better metal guitarists (both rhythm n lead). Together we can learn each other and become better players and more importantly enjoy guitaring.

Include whatever you feel is useful, i.e. which song, band, album is good for learning , guitar techniques, gear talk, amp settings, amp talk

For a start how do you become proficient in alternate picking and then become a faster player. Share your personal exercises if you want.

Let's share!!
rg_x2n
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i start my 'metal' lesson by learning metallica's master of puppet. that song use a lot of downstroke.

for alternate picking, try slayer's angel of death Very Happy
rg_x2n
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalo pasal picking nie... try ar video rock lesson by petrucci. best gak, tapi lepas tgk, sah2 letih ar finger :p
ZiNK
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal guitarist learning corner Reply with quote

calibre2001 wrote:
For a start how do you become proficient in alternate picking and then become a faster player. Share your personal exercises if you want.

Try blues for a start. i know a metalhead mmg xleh layan blues songs... but u need the techniques.

The first metal song that i learned and know how to play is slipknot's left behind. learned the drop D tuning from it. really cool song to play

http://www.myspace.com/deadzinkc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ridzi
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehehe...i just had to jump on this bandwagon..

To get that tight chugga-chugga rhythm playing, try practicing to any Fear Factory songs, keeping your palm on the string as you either do downstrokes, or alternate pick.

Also try fretting the root/fifth/octave/fifth notes at the same time. this is easier done on a drop tuning. I play alot like this and it gives that fuller sound.

/ridzi
Scumgrief
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://s51.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3EHOXZIWQD5NF0RKARSBSTEV6W

Sweep picking lesson...awesome shit!!!! A buddy of mine did this...
silbi
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

16 years ago budak asrama bila pegang guitar kapok sure layan fade to black punya intro dulu...or loudness heavy chains

and then sure jadi thrasher lepas tu...haha

tapi bila pegang gitar karan betul...confuse...

but yeah, learn some ol skool metallica songs and proceed from there...the best would be to learn seek and destroy coz lagu ni sempoi and you dont need full blown distortion for this, a deep crunched OD sound would do i guess...lagu ni kalu mustaine solo siot!
fReqZz
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 1st metal tune i heard is metallica's the memory remains back in 1996 on mtv.. then after a while.. br la aku pgg guitar.. i dont consider myself to be a true metal guitarist, not yet.. tp i recommend listen n learn to your idol. then start expanding ur ear to listen to other sound... dont be afraid to try new things.. metallica did this by putting country tune into a metal... after a while.. the idea will come itself..
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freqzz - u knew em in 96?...i actually saw their concert in london in 96...and the memory remains greatly for that one...Earl's Court London!

but funnily enough, u make me feel so old bro...haha...so how ol r u?

anyways...u need to listen to the old sh*t from them...their concert felt so much alive with their old sh*t...and i'm sure a lot of old folks here will agree...

threadstarter - i rekemen u to listen to all the 4 early monsters of thrash to further enhance your metal journey - slayer, anthrax, metallica and metallica...and strangely, despite them being in the 'similar' category - theri guitars works are soo different..
fReqZz
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

u must be older than me than.. im only 22.. haha.. and to be truth, my first concert is kreator last year!! i need more!!!! grrrrrrr
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal guitarist learning corner Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

I've always been confused on whether its better to improve technique by songs or exercises.

In less technically demanding genres like blues, rock n roll I think the first is more true. But metal (trash metal probably) would be different 'cause even if you have the chops n right feel, the execution wouldnt be clean n perfect enough. What do you guys think?

Oh, and soloing. Aside pentatonics , hwo does one become a better soloist for old skool trash metal anyway?

I've been listening to Pantera's first album and although its very diff from the others; I think its the perfect summary of 80s metal. And yeah Dimebag was god.
silbi
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

correction - pantera is not 80s metal - but it brought the essence of it though...80s metal is iron maiden, venom, dio etc...all using strats i believe...

yeah...if u want old skool thrash, you should start with the early albums of the big 4 thrash monsters...possibly metallica coz they're more straightforward...but i'm sure u've covered that already!

i actually started with the relatively 'easiest' perhaps...seek and destroy...then after years and years, only now i could do the strumming for 'creeping death'...the first time i played this, man, my arms got so freakin tired...

and i've jnever really progressed into learning any of those fast rythms from 'justice' coz sure penat...

so i dunno when i could do faster strums like what kreator does...

btw - thrash is spelt with an 'h' ... meaning 'pukul @ hentak kuat2', not 'sampah'...haha
ZiNK
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Oh, and soloing. Aside pentatonics , hwo does one become a better soloist for old skool trash metal anyway?

try learn to play other genres like blues... blues are like the basics for solo-ing... try not to stick to only one genre... be versatile...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
calibre2001
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dead_zink, thanks, I am actually a blues player and understand why you keep mentioning blues. Yes its a good foundation n all.

I want to expand my horizons with some working knowledge of metal guitar. I realise metal guitar is very very demanding of techincal proficiency from players otherwise chops sound like poo.
ZiNK
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i see. actually... there is no real guide line to be pro in playing metal, cuz most of the metal bands are breaking the rules of normal guitar playing, and then it became metal. in my opinion, to really master playing metal, you gotta learn from metal songs, from heavy and thrash, to black and death. i actually started learn to play metal songs using a classical guitar. hahahaha Razz

Jump to: