back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Let's be honest here.. « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
elmkids
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Let's be honest here.. Reply with quote

guys.. let's be honest here..
how many of you will notice the difference between condensers and dynamics mics? how many of you will notice the difference between behringer pres and m-audio/echo and those project studio pres?

me? im a bit deaf i guess. it depends on what/medium im listening to..
okta
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

too bad i haven't been fortunate enough to test out a lot of mics.

i've AB compared SE electronics mics to Neumann U87.
it does make a difference.(i know it's not dynamic to condenser coparison Razz)

pres?i only can hear noise from behringer more compare to RME Fireface's pres. never really recorded with behringer's pres..dunno about the sound.
elmkids
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right.. so whats the difference between SE (which model?) and u87? what make u87 better?
actually i found it a bit harsh people bashing behringer around coz ive never had experienced such noise. little tiny at -60db? nobody cares aye?
fireface might sounds better.. but not 5000miles away. i guess the only prob with behringer is that the pre is quite thin-sounding. maybe you are referring to the old technology (mx series pre)?

p/s.. may i know who are you perfect circle? mine's zahid.
okta
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Z3300a... we only tested it rougly with a voice.
it seems to lack of body compared to the U87.it maybe good for some other instruments .(yeap the price is A LOT difference from each other)

people can alwiz argue or insult low budget equipments... just like some guitarist said to me...
"ooh..it's an epiphone, it tot it's a Gibson"
as long as it works for u.
majority old timer will say "How can u mix with MOUSE?"
but if it works for u... y bother arguing?
if u can afford a SSL mixer would u still mix on a behringer?

I went to test a behringer mixer couple of month ago...didn't even plug anything in...just the master out to a PA system... brought up pres...brought the fader(actually just a knob..small mixer no faders..Razz)
the hiss was there...i dunno how many dB it was...but i'm not planning to work with that kind of noise...
as i said i dunno about behringer's pre amp sound...i never recorded with them.

it might be some wiring stuff..some ground loop...watever... but's i coulnd be buying it to test at home.. just gave me a bad impression...
and of course i wouldn't go running to buy a million dollar mixer Smile

P/s: Alo orang Taiping!!!!! are u back in taiping? i don't think u know me but i heard of u(don't u feel like a celebrity?Razz) i'm Teoh btw...nice to meet u..
your the guy who recorded Scandal's stuff and daily flavoured tunes rite?
i'm not a big time engineer or anything...just talking layan kepala sendiri jer.
elmkids
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

P/s: Alo orang Taiping!!!!! are u back in taiping? i don't think u know me but i heard of u(don't u feel like a celebrity?) i'm Teoh btw...nice to meet u..
your the guy who recorded Scandal's stuff and daily flavoured tunes rite?
i'm not a big time engineer or anything...just talking layan kepala sendiri jer.
<heh.. nice to meet you too. yup.. i did those bands. looking back few years ago..those recorded materials should sounded better. well.. we learn everyday, arent we? well if u listen to s26 new songs, those were recorded with se2200 thru behringer pre.not an audiophile quality, but again, the noise wasnt an issue at all.
hey, bring along your friends here. the threads around are only about promotions.
Ridzi
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okta wrote:

i've AB compared SE electronics mics to Neumann U87.
it does make a difference.(i know it's not dynamic to condenser coparison Razz)

Neumann U87 Twisted Evil place an SM57 off axis on a 1960A cab, then a U87 on another speaker on the cab... Mix the two signals = FAT tone

YUMMY..!!! Twisted Evil
elmkids
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow.. org kaya punya technic.. haha.. any chance to hear the sample?
Ridzi
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have a sample...but its not mine to give... heheh... serupa takde la
Ridzi
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the other hand just listen to Meshuggah's Chaosphere album....
elmkids
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hhahaa.. ridzi lawak la..

btw, this forum more to promoting products.. tak ramai yg active. adoi..
Jeff
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

theres a step by step file that shows u how to do that.
here -
http://emusician.com/mag/emusic_recording_electric_guitar/

there's various double micing techniques depending on the type of sound youre trying to get.
awakenband
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding Behringers and noise.

You will really start to hear the noise when it comes to making your final mix... getting everything to be as loud as they can... and THEN you will regret and understand why Behringer is so frowned upon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ganz
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everyone. Really happy to see lots of you sharing with each other in the forum. It's a small move but big one for the whole picture.

I was also an engineer before started to do product distribution. For our situation, I think we are firstly, lack of budget even to use an approprite tool to do some recording. My exboss was driving a darned good car while we are working in the studio with very LIMITED tools but from there, I've learnt one thing, which is to work and max out your tools. Equipments does play an important rule but us(people) a big part as well.
You guy can see the article in SoundonSound May in sounding off section, it's a good advice that everyone should have a 2nd looks.

okta Thanks for trying out sE! For sound, I think it's somehow subjective. My friend who used to go to U.S. for mixing session used to tell me that Phil Collin only work with SM58(previously, 10 years back) (and so what!) but bear in mind that mic is only one of the tool in the chain. He still acheived a good sound via the whole recording chain such a Neve desk etc and SM58 can give him a results he want of his vocal in that chain. Another good example is U2 engineer quote(see below):

"I set up the sE2200a alongside the ubiquitous U87 to see which one the singer built up a liking for. I believe this friendship/relationship can make or break a recording session. The performer must trust his microphone, and never more so than with a singer.'

'The sE2200a fought neck and neck with the Neumann. The performer was happiest with the sE2200a.'

'I believe it out-performs any Rode microphone I have tried.'

'Try them, but be warned that you will not want to give them back.'

U2, Carole King, Quincy Jones, Hothouse Flowers, Frank Sinatra

I think most equipments these days can achieve an acceptable results if you know what you really wants ( JD, give a few words for these as well )
Wink ).

For sE mic, from the way they company work at the moment, I can really sense that these group of people are really serious in business and quality but one thing they aren't so serious about is the price! These may seem like an adv but you will see in future for sure how it will be.

At last I wish everyone the best!!!!
okta
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

ganz wrote:

okta Thanks for trying out sE! For sound, I think it's somehow subjective. My friend who used to go to U.S. for mixing session used to tell me that Phil Collin only work with SM58(previously, 10 years back) (and so what!) but bear in mind that mic is only one of the tool in the chain. He still acheived a good sound via the whole recording chain such a Neve desk etc and SM58 can give him a results he want of his vocal in that chain.

no problem dude!
Smile
who doesn't like good affordable stuff?
of course it's subjective. anything got to do with sound is subjective. It's just my opinion on the sound.Many artist have their preference on their microphone or even hedphones for monitoring.Any company can say which artist uses their stuff this and that, but without listening to it urself u cannot be sure. It can only be a reference.

we r all not bono or phil collin or frank sinatra.

Quote:

I think most equipments these days can achieve an acceptable results if you know what you really wants

Agree, depends on who you want to satisfy.(who is willing to accept)
elmkids
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awakenband wrote:
Regarding Behringers and noise.

You will really start to hear the noise when it comes to making your final mix... getting everything to be as loud as they can... and THEN you will regret and understand why Behringer is so frowned upon.

get a noise gate as insert if noise something around -70db bothers you. btw, where did the noise come from if you recorded your music clean enuff? did u compress the hell out of your mix? if noise is the issue, kindly take a listen here;
www.myspace.com/crashoverrecs
(click at Melastique Bintang).
vocal (with se2200a though), snare and one of the guitar were all thru that so-called 'invicible mic pre' (behringer bollock!). i havent got noise issue so far.
but since behringer's QC sucks, no wonder your pres were noisy. let say 3out of10 of their mass productions has issues.

Jump to: