back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Not So Blooze « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
MiN
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Not So Blooze Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

this is a improv attempt at playing blues. please forgive me coz i am not a good blues player. this is how bad i sound like when playing blues on the spot.

i tried to use fingerpicking in this one so that the sound and tone would be a bit berlemak.

i just played around some pentatonics and it sounded like crap blues playing. but i just wanted you guys especially the blues players to give some comments for me to improve coz i seldom play blues at all and hence the results of my terrible blues playing.

althouhg i did get some inspiration from Richie Kotzen.

blast away guys....im ready for your critic and insult.

http://www.i-bands.net/audiovault/download.php?band_id=1433&song_id=7116&mode=song_hifi
IZZI
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey MiN we're in the same boat, still in developing our playing so nobody will insult you here dont worry!

wah MiN.. Aku tabik la kat ko sebab ko boleh kawal nafsu shred ko tu dlm lagu ni! itu yg paling aku kagum sekali.. buakn senang mat shredder nak main blues tanpa shred .. Siap ada soul pulak tu!

Dari segi sound mmg sedap dan cukup syarat utk blues tu. Yang lain tak ada apa2 komen memandangkan blues is not about technical. Its more to expressing your feeling.. so subjective.. and in this song, i can feel it bro!

So utk sedikit BASIC tip yg aku ada for your next step of blues playing..

1. You can combine Major and Minor pentatonic. Ia dihalalkan dlm blues.. For more variety of blues feels, you can bend/slide from minor spot to major spot which is on the 2nd note of the pentatonic scale. Eg: Let say you're now playing in key of A.. so instead of soloing in A minor pentatonic, you can also solo in F# minor pentatonic and you can do half bending/slide on the 2nd note (in this case - note C) to C#. Try la.. lazat woi!

2. (still in A minor key example) you can even play E minor pentatonic and B minor pentatonic to make it sound more jazzy).. the idea is not to play them straight to the point all the way but just "singgah-singgah sekejap jer. Can also play arpegeos on that tp bukan mcm malmsteen punya arpegeo la.. just 2-4 note of arpegeo. Blues pun ada arpegeo tau!

3. (also in A minor example) you can also play normal major scale with flatten on 7th note. (So instead of note G# on the A major scale, now will be G.). But in this case, you need to transform the scale when the chord changes. Kalau chord progression A-D-E, so setiap chord to has its own DOREMI flat seven.

Try to play around with this basic tips and record. Please send your new version later. Aku nak dengar... Anyway MiN.. welcome to Blues World!!!
omarjamaludin
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Admin
Site Admin

bagus tips kau wan..akan ku coba
cool
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sound dh best utk main blues dh.
actually, chromatic pun bleh apply dlm blues ni,
it works well ble kne pd time nyer--> ikut feel
lgi 1 bleh combine minor pentatonic dgn mixolydian mode
more freedom in blues compared to classical
IZZI
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes betul cakap cool..

bila ko mencampuradukkan 2-3 pentatonic utk satu chord(main dalam random note) maka terhasillah chromatic pada part2 tertentu..

Tip yg nombor tiga tu (MAJOR Scale dgn flatten on the 7th note) tu sama dgn Mixolydian Mode. Kalau dalam contoh A minor tu, Mixolydian Mode nya ialah Scale A major dgn note ke 7th diflatkan = B minor scale = D major scale.. nama je lain tapi scalenya adalah sama.

So untuk basic implement dan nak mudah faham MiN, ko buat macam ni jer bro:

Katakan blues progression chordnya ialah A-D-E. So bila dalam chord A tu, solo la dlm scale B minor. Then bila chord bertukar ke D, solo ko pun bertukar ke scale E minor pulak. Then bila chord E, solo on F# minor. Tapi kena pandai pilih tempat berhenti utk kasi dia lebih effective sebab ada tempat berhenti yg sedap dan ada yg kurang sedap. Then gabung2kan dgn pentatonic minor dan major.. good luck!
MiN
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IZZI wrote:
Hey MiN we're in the same boat, still in developing our playing so nobody will insult you here dont worry!

wah MiN.. Aku tabik la kat ko sebab ko boleh kawal nafsu shred ko tu dlm lagu ni! itu yg paling aku kagum sekali.. buakn senang mat shredder nak main blues tanpa shred .. Siap ada soul pulak tu!

Dari segi sound mmg sedap dan cukup syarat utk blues tu. Yang lain tak ada apa2 komen memandangkan blues is not about technical. Its more to expressing your feeling.. so subjective.. and in this song, i can feel it bro!

So utk sedikit BASIC tip yg aku ada for your next step of blues playing..

1. You can combine Major and Minor pentatonic. Ia dihalalkan dlm blues.. For more variety of blues feels, you can bend/slide from minor spot to major spot which is on the 2nd note of the pentatonic scale. Eg: Let say you're now playing in key of A.. so instead of soloing in A minor pentatonic, you can also solo in F# minor pentatonic and you can do half bending/slide on the 2nd note (in this case - note C) to C#. Try la.. lazat woi!

2. (still in A minor key example) you can even play E minor pentatonic and B minor pentatonic to make it sound more jazzy).. the idea is not to play them straight to the point all the way but just "singgah-singgah sekejap jer. Can also play arpegeos on that tp bukan mcm malmsteen punya arpegeo la.. just 2-4 note of arpegeo. Blues pun ada arpegeo tau!

3. (also in A minor example) you can also play normal major scale with flatten on 7th note. (So instead of note G# on the A major scale, now will be G.). But in this case, you need to transform the scale when the chord changes. Kalau chord progression A-D-E, so setiap chord to has its own DOREMI flat seven.

Try to play around with this basic tips and record. Please send your new version later. Aku nak dengar... Anyway MiN.. welcome to Blues World!!!

Hi Wan,

Errmmmm aku akan incorporate idea idea nih nanti dlm the new version. tentang recording quality tak payah la citer ko pun tau aku memang tak reti.

kwekwkekwek.....thx bro nanti aku try
MiN
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool wrote:
sound dh best utk main blues dh.
actually, chromatic pun bleh apply dlm blues ni,
it works well ble kne pd time nyer--> ikut feel
lgi 1 bleh combine minor pentatonic dgn mixolydian mode
more freedom in blues compared to classical

nanti aku try idea nih....tentu seronok....

thx

your so coooool....kwkewkekwek
pali
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm currently listening to it and i must say that this is really good min. you really got the blues man. keep up the good work man.
MiN
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pali wrote:
i'm currently listening to it and i must say that this is really good min. you really got the blues man. keep up the good work man.

hi pali,

thx bro....eventhough i dont think my blues is that good....

kwkewkekwk
Bode
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great guitar tone...and great 'finger tone'.
Not everyone can get that 'finger' tone...some even after years and years of playing...so you're doing very well Min.
Nice choice of notes too.
I like it that you're exploring different vibrato qualities that confer different emotions and moods as well.

My complaints:
Though blues is not something that strictly has to be played with reference to the tempo(like neo-classical rock)...there are times when you let loose from the tempo and there are times when you gotta really stick to the tempo. There are at times great licks in this solo which was marred by the 'detachment' from the tempo.....which makes it sound like you're playing alone and not with the band. Fingerpicking is definitely harder than straight picking, and of course harder for anyone to watch their tempo/timing when doing it. (My tempo could easily be worse if I attempt fingerpicking Laughing ...so I understand Smile)

Another thing...you gotta play a lot more blues, because I can sense that you're not comfortable with it as opposed to shredding away Smile...sounds like you're being very conscious with your choice of notes and everything rather than just playing your heart away. And it's obvious that when you went into the fast licks at 2:55 onwards...you're very comfortable and more relaxed because you're back shredding! Laughing

Cool playing man Smile
MiN
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bode wrote:
Great guitar tone...and great 'finger tone'.
Not everyone can get that 'finger' tone...some even after years and years of playing...so you're doing very well Min.
Nice choice of notes too.
I like it that you're exploring different vibrato qualities that confer different emotions and moods as well.

My complaints:
Though blues is not something that strictly has to be played with reference to the tempo(like neo-classical rock)...there are times when you let loose from the tempo and there are times when you gotta really stick to the tempo. There are at times great licks in this solo which was marred by the 'detachment' from the tempo.....which makes it sound like you're playing alone and not with the band. Fingerpicking is definitely harder than straight picking, and of course harder for anyone to watch their tempo/timing when doing it. (My tempo could easily be worse if I attempt fingerpicking Laughing ...so I understand Smile)

Another thing...you gotta play a lot more blues, because I can sense that you're not comfortable with it as opposed to shredding away Smile...sounds like you're being very conscious with your choice of notes and everything rather than just playing your heart away. And it's obvious that when you went into the fast licks at 2:55 onwards...you're very comfortable and more relaxed because you're back shredding! Laughing

Cool playing man Smile

hi bro,

yes there is some tempo problems due to the inexperience of me playing finger picking style.

i do have to play alot more blues coz i grew up seldom listeing to blues but more to technical stuffs and hence the crap playing of my blues. i am right now listening to more stuffs in blues particularly richie kotzen. thats why i tried to use fingerpicking to imitate richie kotzen. but i really lack blues patterns and licks and thats why im listening to more blues and balanced with my usual technical guitar listening as well....hope to be able to pull off some great licks and blues in the new version....

fingers cross...kwkekwekwk
IZZI
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try listen to [b]Kenny Wayne Sheppherd (True Lies Album 1997)[b] for simple command of blues but effective..

Jump to: