back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Pickup guitar macam microphone « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Otaizam
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Pickup guitar macam microphone Reply with quote

Dear Mr Guitar Doc, (he heh eh e)

Tak tau macam mana nak explain, but this insident baaru aku perasan semalam. Bila on Distort, aku saje je gatal cakap directly to the guitar pickup, dia boleh tangkap apa yang kita cakap pulak, leh kuar suara kat aku punya amp.

Just nak tau, is it normal? atau actually something wrong. Sebab ingatkan it just can pick up bunyik guitar je, bukan suara orang....

Any comment?
gapster
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am having this same problem on my indonesian made guitar . how much did you bought your guitar?

i send it to a technician he said it is because of the cheap o pickups .change it to a korean stock it will be better..cheers

IZZI
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is microphonic problem.. most of cheap pickup has this problem..

one way to reduce it is to do potting..

refer here : http://www.guitarnuts.com/technical/electrical/index.php
Dufresne
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually its not a problem specific to a cheap pickup. What is going on is that the pickup just 'picks-up' all sounds arnd the pickup, which theorically can happen to all pickups. Even high-end pickups can produce the same problem. One pickup that i know that can do this is the DiMarzio Evo, which is understandable, cuz its such a high output pickup. It was said that while Steve Vai was rehearsing in a studio, he screamed into his guitar, & a distored-screamed sound came out from his amp...

I dont know if other high gain/output pickup can do this, maybe u guys can try it, hehe...

Cheers... Cool
Otaizam
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys
Ridzi
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is normal lah... your strings vibrate to your voice...and picked up by the pickup... more noticeable if you are using a high gain setting. pretty the same way a microphone diaphragm works...
Otaizam
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ridzi wrote:
this is normal lah... your strings vibrate to your voice...and picked up by the pickup... more noticeable if you are using a high gain setting. pretty the same way a microphone diaphragm works...

ridzi, thanks.... thats really sooth my worried hearted
okta
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

i think i saw some incubus home video...brandon boyd sang into one of the guitar pickups for a song...

i might be fooled tho...Smile
Otaizam
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

serious meh? so it gives a lil advantage......
browndog2woof
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: pickup microphonic vs pickup radio Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

fretted bros,

you've heard about microphonics pickups, wanna know why?
1) low output blast with high gain
2) high output blast with high gain
3) ceramic pickups mostly have this problem , alnico pun ada
4) mostly on cheap demagnetized pickups (ceramic mostly) aku ada jumpa jap copy pickups sounds better than standard fender now..ada dua jenis2-
a) merah fishpaper
2) black fish paper
mosly founded in squire jv or early japanese..ada yg same replica but mostly ada variance sikit in size. cuma alnico dia a bit smaller dan size di about 1 to 2mm smaller in size. bila ko masuk cover pickups usa, dia tak ngam.

how to overcome this?
1) try putting wax (jangan la ko bakar lak pickup tu sekali dengan lilin!) use blowdryer, jangan jadi kfc dah. especially kat bobbin tu, jaga2 la bro
ini akan kurangkan squealing atau microphonic
2) enamel coating, ini ke pandai sikit la, silap2 nanti jahanam. kastam shop pickups ada pakai ini enamel coating
3) remagnetized the pickup, ini a bit complicated, so far aku tau kat usa adala doc nak buat kerja2 ini, tuned to specs lagi...aku, this part memang langsung kaput! janganlak korang nak cuba cabut magnet dan pasang sendiri balik, 99% tak bunyik! nak cuba bole...ha ha ha!
4) beli pickup baru la....habih cito, janganlak cap tengkorak, then you'll start all over again..

aku pernah dapat lespaul copy pickup boleh tangkap radio station....ha ha ha ah! aku pun kayu dulu, pergi dispose lak, kalau sekarang aku simpan pun bagus, hmmmmm! freak habis! ha ha ha!

woof!
sorcerer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aku ada tengok Paul Gilbert solo dengan menyanyi kat pickup gitar dia dalam Lesson VCD Terriffying Guitar Trip. bunyi macam bending note, macam guna whammy pedal..... Cool....
IZZI
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sebenarnya pickup tu untuk memudahkan guitarist menjadi backup singer tanpa perlu mic tambahan.. ia lebih menjimatkan..
browndog2woof
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

IZZI wrote:
sebenarnya pickup tu untuk memudahkan guitarist menjadi backup singer tanpa perlu mic tambahan.. ia lebih menjimatkan..

hmmm,

piano tok aku scallop, pakai pikap hs3, moog taurus dan amp marshall. mike dia pakai perigi puteri hang lipo dimana reverb dia wet dan peh! analog lagi...

aku ada lipstick pickup vintage, tok aku punye, mau? ha ha ha ha!

woof!
IZZI
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lipstick pickup? aku ada perasan SRV pakai itu pickup kat guitar putih dia.. mmg cun habis.. tapi tak tau la sama ke tak dgn lipstik tok ko tu..

bro, ko mau chrome single coil pickup cover? sini ada jual..
munkee_m
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI!!!! here's a simple guide line for pickup potting- just an add on to BrownDog Very Happy

Go to Ace hardware shop- buy this wax called Bee's Wax, ace is the only place selling it here 1 piece will do . and 4 little candle they use for aroma theraphy ones. you can find them in RM 5 shop. The big long type dont work that well as they contain ALOT of silicones !!! put all the mixture in a tin can, just enough to fit a pickup , double boil the tin can- means boil the can in a pot of water, this is to ensure the tempetarue dont exceed 100 degrees. and the temperature is constant Very Happy While waiting, CAREFULLY remove the protective felt or tape wrapping the bobbin. if youre using a nickel cover , try remove the cover by melting the solder point holidng the cover to the baseplate. when both the wax mix up, CELUP that microphonic SOB inside like Lipton tea bags.leave it inside for a while. then take out, untill the whole thing is like a blog of wax . let it cool and harden, take some lighter fluid - naptha - or zippo fluid and a blade to scrap off the goo and polish it up .
that'll kill the microphone problem..like it or not... it sure is anoying over high gain.... it doesnt feedback naturally, it SQUELS!!!!! And it sure aint a Sm58 to start off with....

Jump to: