back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

self taught drummer.. « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
bitterpill
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject: self taught drummer.. Reply with quote

hi,
im a self taught drummer n been playin drums since form4..im 21 now.. ermm.. but i havent improved much eversince..i have veeery limited drumming pattern and i hate it.. i can only practice bile pergi jamming.. and ketok bantal have never worked Sad

lets see wat r the probs i have

a) my bass kicks arent strong n consistent
b) if i do triple bass kicks, my hi hat hits pon akan terikut the bass,resulting in triple hits (hahaha).. i cant seem to separate hi hat n bass kicks, sometimes dieorg mcm same especially when i have triple bass kicks..
c) i cant decide when to use hi hat, when to use ride.. for rhythm controls (but does it matter?)
d) i lack variety when doing beats.. mcm omg, pesen tu je forever..
e) when i use open hi hat..buruk sgt sound dier sob..oh and i tak pernah tau ape purpose foot hihat tu.. i tau nak have dat "chick" sound je bile open hihat pastu kite hit foot tu die tutup bunyik "chick" ehehe..
f) i also cant judge macam how fast or slow im going..or how slow or fast i shud go...tempo lah kirenyer...
g) and my performance usually the drums that i use.. let see, some of the drumkits yg i sukeeeeeee main gilegile, dekat sri serdang, eruption studio (tapi dah tutup), rhythm mix (studio c sahaje hahaha) and descharten ttdi.. i HATE drums mase audition yg ive masuk so far..bleargh!

ok tu je kot... here are some samples of my drummin... feel free to bash and constrctive criticism is very much needed..hehe

http://s14.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0VOFKK8R8D6770PFJO4Z2316QE

thanks guys Smile
-wanie-
omarjamaludin
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Admin
Site Admin

i think i have the same problem trying to play hi-hat and kick separately...
ijan2183
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: same... Reply with quote

Lebih kurang la ngan aku...
Macam xde improvement..
Maybe kena beli drumset taruk kt umah kut.
1 more thing, klu lagu fast double paddle terus kantoi!
So sad!
chop_suey2020
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi... aku ada drum set kat umah... jenama ultra jer.. rm1500 bapak aku beli... aku blaja main drum time aku umur 13tahun... skg ni dah 16tahun... alhamdullilah gak laa aku dah pandai main... double padle pun bleh la skit2... tp stamina aku kurang... tangan pun slalu injury... haha !! anyway... aku pernah dpt anugerah kat skolah dulu... 'the greatest drummer at the school' !! hahah !!
Jeff
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

i still remember that magic moment when i managed to separate my kicks from my hi hats...i was using headphones playing along with Kreator album Winter Martyrium masa dia baru keluar, i loved the drums on that album. That intro beat as i played along was that magic moment when i went "WOOOI!! DAPAT SIALS!!!"

I know this drummer use to have a metronome plugged into his ear when he jsut learning during pratice, and he's a very very tight player now. It never worked for me cos i got bored easily...i prefer to play along with ppl.. some Dave Lombardo, some Abe Cunningham, Portnoi, some Nicko McBrain, Matt Cameron ke...tiru tiru diorang lama lama tu bleh la kot..we all learn by emulating.
Once u can separate feet rythm and hand rythms, u go onto separating left and right hand rythms, before separating left and right leg rythms.. so lama2 dapat la each appendage main beat lain2.
ijan2183
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: practice make perfect Reply with quote

Mmg betul la...
Practice lama2 mmg jadi best...
Tahan la ada gak set kat umah...
Aku abih kuat pukul angin jer..
Bila gi jamm pukul abis2 qua3...
Tp still no improvement..
mAybe dh lama tak main kut...
Skill tak berkembang..
Almaklumla sendri jadi cikgu sendri jd student. He3...
Tp mmg double paddle tu mcm big problem jer...
Klu beat tak laju bley la kena beat mcm helicopter tu kantoi!
Bunyik mcm tahi lembu jatuh..!
Crying or Very sad
supergroove
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pada aku kalu nak double paddle beat lagi laju lagi controllable and manageable. try main lagu tripping billies (Dave Matthew's) and try emulate Carter Beauford - dapat kalu buleh ah jadik guru...
ijan2183
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: beat Reply with quote

kadang2 aku rasa macam beat aku tu sama je...
rolling pn sama jer bunyiknya..
tak byk bunga da....
sedih gak..
nak g blajo tak mampu..
klu ada dekat tempat aku ni bley gak blajo..
usaha la kut mana pon...
tp takde lagi...
bosan gak bila gi jamm asyik kena nyanyi jer...
tak puas.. bila main best sket.
puas hati la bila bayor tuh.. he3..
hahnTP
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hai..this is my first time posting and interested to talked about it..there's nothing fancy, it's just what I do to make it perfect...most of us having the same problem during the Hi Hat and the bass drum session...its hard...real hard for amatuer drummer like us all..I've been exposed to drum since I was 11yo..I started playing when I was 12..the song that time was hot are "Nirvana - smell like a teen spirit", "Greenday", OAG...etc, I've been challenge to play smell like a teen spirit..it sucks..but I still love to play drum..then I stop for 2 year not playing any single beat..then..when I was 15, my friend told me he wanted to jam, and search for a drummer..so I offered myself, without thinking what kind of song they're playing...that guy was like 18 somewhere there..the next day, a list came to me..the band Korn on the list "Clown" and Deftones " Be quite and drive"...sh*t..I'm scared to death...to cut the shame off...the result...I came with a range 1-10...I got 5...how long I take to practise with Imaginary drum?...a week...Is it hard to play?...I hurt my arm badly...

Actually this is what I want to say...when you jam try to play various kind of music...not various kind of band with same music...Try to play "There is - Boxcar Racer" to imporve your stroking..you would realize you can do a paradidle...try to play "Love song - 311" you practise your hi-hat...if you can't follow which part to open the hi-hat..do where ever you want...the important thing is you practise...

stay focus and be confident...you will now when you really focus...it cannot be quote "I've focus when playing.." easily..you will understand what I'm talking about...

Any of you guy will go for the Billy Cobham Drum Clinic this 18th..I'll be there..
ijan2183
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: practice Reply with quote

thanks 4 the tips bro!
hahnTP
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the metronome...usually during jamming sessions we don't have any devices to count the timing...another tips I use to be on time..I listen to the whole band...we jam as a whole...during individual practise, we usually concerntrated to get to know our part...I always do this...after practise our part up to 4-5 times...try to connect to other instrument...pick one for first time (if u want to usethis method) and you can pick 2 if you get use to it...usually I will pick bass and vocalist...If there's problem either one of 'em, I'll pick the best...mostly bassist and vocalist "will take place" of the metronome timing...but not all the time...It's just the best way to be on time...this technique usually I used for original song...If you try to play "live" song..it would be different..but it can be use too if there's no changes in the "live" performance...

That's all for now...
(My drum ain't no imaginary no more on/maybe 2007...it cost me RM10K )
ijan2183
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: mm... Reply with quote

so many advise la bro! Like it!
I usually do the same method.. If the singer bad so i'll be out of tempo.
He3... Thank God the bass is still alive..
hahnTP
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah...there are a lot of advice...the best way is practise anyway...it depend to what kinda drummer we are...some are just drummer who plays drum, some are drummer who work with drum, and some are drummer who express their mind,emotion and art with drum...just pick what type of drummer you are...the more you know your path the more we find something to develope...

I went for the billy's clinic today (18/05/06)..it was cool to see a legend playing...get some advice...how he control...its kinda cool to get to know the roots of drum beat...
ijan2183
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: advice Reply with quote

yeah u're right! Sometimes when i play comes a mood that make me very satisfied with what i'm playing. When a jamm session finish it doesn't felt enough n want to play more. He3... But sometimes so many bad beats came out.
I think if i go to a session twice a month it will be very joyfull playing but when i go so many times a week then i'll get that bad vibes..
And a studio could be the reason too right? Too small, too crowded.. Drumset not in a good conditions. Broken cymbals n everythings... I like more using a plastic chair. Higher than ori seats. he3.. I'm a bit lowered la...
If the mood in the good cond the feel while playing is outrages.
Thats what make me more happy althought not perfect as others...
He3...
kari_convention
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahnTP wrote:
yeah...there are a lot of advice...the best way is practise anyway...it depend to what kinda drummer we are...some are just drummer who plays drum, some are drummer who work with drum, and some are drummer who express their mind,emotion and art with drum...just pick what type of drummer you are...the more you know your path the more we find something to develope...

I went for the billy's clinic today (18/05/06)..it was cool to see a legend playing...get some advice...how he control...its kinda cool to get to know the roots of drum beat...

pls tell me me more abt the clinic. want to so badly but yesterday (friday) i had an final examination paper.

Jump to: