back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

How are the daily charts compiled? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
rk
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:11 am    Post subject: How are the daily charts compiled? Reply with quote

Hi

I can't figure out how your chart positionswork. Tried to look for a FAQ on it, but could not find any.

For example today the 3rd item has the following : (199)

What does the 199 mean? It seems to be total downloads?

But, then we have the 2nd song with : (1)

If this is true, then a song with 1 download is in 2nd position.

I have a few suggestions to make.

Preferably there should be information on Downloads for the day, week and total with the chart position based on plays per week.

In the bands website number of downloads for each song and date of upload would be very useful.

Hope you can consider my suggestion and give me an explanation on the above.

Thanks.
GryMlock
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RK, the number in the bracket indicates where the song was positioned yesterday. let say the song is at number 4 today and in the bracket is (141), it means that yesterday it was at numner 141 on the chart.

hope this clear things up.

yeah there'll be more options on the charts and statistics on artist page. it's still in the making. I'm currently building a new layout but it won't be ready soon lah. I have the main page design done but there're still lotsa work needed to be done on the other parts of the site. so wish me luck..and stay tune aite?

welcome to i-bands dude.
rk
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply and the welcome. Look forward to your update.

Just another question. How do you qualify what is "hot"?

It may be still a good idea to put a small note on the site explaining the meaning of the numbers in bracket and what "hot" means.

Thanks
GryMlock
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I think I will do so. I remembered answering the same question a while back but couldn't find the post.

anyway, a song is tagged with "hot" if it climbs up the chart significantly within 24hours. at the moment we put the trigger at 100. last time there weren't so many songs in here so we might have to re-evaluate that.

example : song A is at number 200 yesterday, and it's at number 80 today, it'll be tagged as "hot"

a song is tagged with "cool" when it goes down the chart but was at the top 100 yesterday.

example : song B is at number 80 yesterday, and it's now at number 200, it'll be tagged as "cool".

so that's basically it.
rk
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GryMlock wrote:

anyway, a song is tagged with "hot" if it climbs up the chart significantly within 24hours. at the moment we put the trigger at 100. last time there weren't so many songs in here so we might have to re-evaluate that.

From what I know, I am assuming, the chart positions are generated once a day at a fixed time. I also believe that you have access to the number of hits per individual song, since this is necessary to calculate your chart position.

Please correct me if I am wrong. I am assuming that you do not "wish" to post the actual hits per song. As an alternative I would suggest that you post a percentage hit. Get the total hits in a day. Divide this by individual downloads and post it as a percentage.

My suggestions are basically to give the audience a better gauge of how well the songs are fairing. For example, the 1st song may have a 1000 hits and the 2nd song only 20. Just some thoughts on the matter.

Thanks for listening.
GryMlock
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah it's not a good idea to display the numbers. people will start racing with each other and clicking on the play button just for the sake of climbing the chart. and not only the artist will do it, their fans will do it as well.

the artists have the detail stats of each song on their administration panel. they can track it there.

however, the number of hits will be displayed on "special" events. like the recent acoustic challenge. the number of hits will be displayed when we announce the result.
rk
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand your approach now.

Thanks.

Jump to: