back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Computer's Gender « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
sorcerer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Computer's Gender Reply with quote

A French teacher was explaining to her class that in French,  (and in German) unlike English,  nouns are designated as  either masculine or feminine, i.e., "House" is feminine - "la maison."  "Pencil" is masculine "le  crayon."

A student asked, "What gender is 'computer'?"  Instead  of giving the answer, the teacher split the class into  two groups - male and female and asked them to  decide for themselves whether "computer" should be a masculine or a feminine noun. Each group was asked to  give four reasons for their recommendation.

The men's group decided that "computer" should  definitely be of the feminine gender ("la computer") because:

1. No one but their creator understands their internal  logic;
2. The native language they use to communicate  with other computers is incomprehensible to everyone else;
3. Even the smallest mistakes are stored in long term memory for possible later review; and
4. As soon as you make a commitment to one, you find yourself spending half your salary on accessories for it.

The women's group, however, concluded that computers should be masculine ("le computer") because:

1. In order to do anything with them, you have to turn them on;
2. They have a lot of data but still can't think for themselves;
3. They are supposed to help you solve problems, but half the time they ARE the problem; and
4. As soon as you commit to one, you realize that if you had waited a little longer, you could have gotten  a better model.

The women won (SMILE)))

Jump to: