back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

how to unshred? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
MiN
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: how to unshred? Reply with quote

Shredicitus

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think I've developed a bad case of Shredicitus. Shredicitus is the disease that causes your hands to want to shred all the time.

It's not really a problem until you start trying to be creative and write music...then the technique tries to superimpose itself. Also, with the disease comes an ego crutch on solos where you need to shred at least a little bit to feel like you've done anything. It's kinda like how with most meals I don't feel like I've really eaten until I've had some meat.

I spend at least half of my practice time on technique alone; and I really enjoy it...sometimes I wonder if so much technical practice is going to inhibit my creative writing eventually.

Does anyone else have this disease; and what is the cure?

The last thing I want to be on this earth is just another blan mindless shredder.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I saw this post on some forum and thought that it might be interesting.

what do you guys think??
Bode
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess listening much much more to tasteful guitarists of your choice, who says more with less notes, could inspire you into developing a new way of approaching solos.

Also, listen to other forms of music as well...even better if they're not guitar related at all. Start thinking like a musician, rather than a guitarist specifically.

Try to emulate the human voice/other instruments's phrasing on the guitar.

It's good that you're exploring this side of guitar playing, because, no matter how fast you are, there will be so many more guitarists only half your age and twice faster than you out there...so easy to find so many of them on international shredder forums.

In the end, the guitarist who stands out above the rest is the one who can move your emotions with his playing, be it with just one or a million notes Smile

Paul Gilbert became as successful as he is more because of his phrasing, choice of notes and melody, and less due to his speed(lotsa guys are faster than him...but these guys are still stuck in their bedrooms)[/i]
khairold
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the best advice ever given to me on this subject is
"sing what you play and play what you sing"
fReqZz
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn.. some people want the speed aint got it.. some people just wanna throw it.. MiN.. potong satu jari.. hantar kt aku.. for sure u can never go fast lg.. huhu..
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bode wrote:
In the end, the guitarist who stands out above the rest is the one who can move your emotions with his playing, be it with just one or a million notes Smile

Paul Gilbert became as successful as he is more because of his phrasing, choice of notes and melody, and less due to his speed(lotsa guys are faster than him...but these guys are still stuck in their bedrooms)[/i]

couldn't agree with you more, doc. just look at the edge, gilmore, the dude from colplay etc, each of them sells more records compared to michael angelo, satriani, vai, impelitteri alltogether.

heck, i never see bryan adams play any solo and look where he is right now?

i reek of putrefaction...
SunOfFrostLight
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I do agree... As for me, I'm not really a fan of those shredders like Yngwie Malmsteen and Steve Vai... When you shred, most of the sonic balance is usually out due to the notes playing out too fast... It's like hearing those people who play drums with 1,000 strokes in 60 seconds... The skill is there, but the tone isn't there.

Yeah I like Paul Gilbert, and the Malaysian guitarist he duet with before for the song Joget, Mr Samad, I like both of them. Their ideas and arrangements are fantastic. The tone is there, the melody is awesome and there's a sonic balance in their songs.

Too many guitarist nowadays wants to learn all those skills like tapping, shredding and stuff. They're good at it, but when it comes to music arrangements, they're out. The sonic balance is just out. Hearing them in headphones, stereo speakers and car audio systems makes me feel like changing to another radio station sometimes...
gapster
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xnoybis wrote:
Bode wrote:

couldn't agree with you more, doc. just look at the edge, gilmore, the dude from colplay etc, each of them sells more records compared to michael angelo, satriani, vai, impelitteri alltogether.

hahaha..bro..i think you cannot measure a musicians by seeing how many record they sold . Smile

silbi
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do you guys think about Metalasia's stuff? Are they a bit too much too in terms of notes-per-second. But i dig em....

Also, I heard John Mayer can shred too...but he's now going more into blues i think. He's one fine guitarist i must add...

and Siti had her share of playing the guitar some time ago...i'm sure she could shred if she wants too...for datuk k of course...hehe

for all you know mawi is a shredder...never underestimate ppl from felda...

Last edited by silbi on Wed May 03, 2006 12:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
omarjamaludin
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Admin
Site Admin

sekarang siti goreng utk datuk K je la haw haw
madhatter
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sapa ntah yg kata 'the reason why some guitarists plays a lot of notes fast is becoz he couldnt find the right one'... or sumthin like that Very Happy

btw, about vai, aku rasa vai bukanlah shredder per se. Byk lagu dia yg penuh feeling dan dia cuma shred dimana yg perlu (mungkin min leh amik inspiration dr vai gak - boleh main laju tp leh kontrol the urge). As for me, sampai tua pun rasanya xleh nak shred...

'No reason to get excited,' the thief he kindly spoke.
omarjamaludin
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Admin
Site Admin

hey i dont have this problem cos i dont shred in the first place! LOL hehe
silbi
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so are these ppl shredders?

1. kirk hammet
2. those guitarists from iron maiden (lupa nama pulak)

actually, what the real definition of shred, really...?
omarjamaludin
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Admin
Site Admin

aku rasa kena ada2 neo-classical influence kot...kalau main laju2 tapi just normal rock blues scales wont be considered a shredder? dunnoo lah..just an observation ...
xnoybis
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gapster wrote:
xnoybis wrote:
Bode wrote:

hahaha..bro..i think you cannot measure a musicians by seeing how many record they sold . Smile

i don't know...
to me the more record sale you made, the more people listened to your stuff...
the more people listened to your stuff, the more people like wahtever things that you're doing...
that means people like your music and you as the musician...

problem with shredder is, they are too focussed on techniques and theory...
in real world, most people never gave a second thought on those but more towards music...
music in the first place was never about techniques and theory, but more towards how you deliver your feelings and people menage to understand it...

i reek of putrefaction...
Raggy
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

......and so this young guitarist went to see the Old Tok Guru guitarist and asked:

"Tok Guru,what do you think about my guitaring, is my shredding good enough or shall I put more fire into my solos"

The old Tok Guru said:

"Just put more of your solos into the fire"

Jump to: