back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

MOnster Solo Sound wanted « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
IZZI
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

strat tone gary more yg aku dgr masa dia main lagu hendrix Red House tu pun dah buat aku meleleh..huhuu

freq oi.. kem salam kat ninja.. gua respek sama dia..
Bode
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aB wrote:
MiN wrote:
... aku tgh recording a song kat studio skrg nih....untuk album guitar featuring 4 guitar players kat brunei....tu ler aku tgh takde idea nih....nak car melodi line pun susah....kemarin aku perlukan 2 jam untuk record the first 20 seconds intro lagu.....kwekwkekwkewke

Min! kasi la dengar sikit.....

He he he...welcome to studio world bro!Smile

What seems to sound cool when playing live, when recorded and played back, may sound crap.....with all the bad mistakes that we tend to miss sticking out like a sore thumb once played back. Some producers are so fussy...they record my distorted guitar solo in 32 bit digital...and playback my solo track with all the other tracks muted to check on whether it's clean enough! Lol!

The longer I play the guitar, the smaller my ego gets, but I remember the thing that made my ego shrinks the most is when I started doing sessions for some producers...that is the time when you realise the hardest things in playing is not only speed and technicality(these factors are bloody hard but still form only a small part of guitar playing), but includes creativity, song writing abilities, making the guitar 'communicate' and tell a story rather than just 'play', playing something which is relevant to the needs of the song or a particular part of a movie soundtrack, getting the right tone that the producer wants in just a coupla seconds, nailing different soloing styles for the same solo in different takes,....and changing back and forth between different tones immediately at every request...and trying to hear what the producer exactly wants in his head(which is probably one of the hardest things....trying to read their minds is one thing...but nailing it is another story altogether)...eg." do a Santana-ish lick with a Malmsteen tone but with a Satriani feel in this blues tune"...

Right now...after doing sessions and witnessing lotsa players on sites like 'truth in shredding', I feel like the worst and most worthless piece of shit guitarist on earth...
Bode
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fReqZz wrote:
whats up doc.. hows ur hand?

skang ni dah minat plak kat sound rock lame2.. zaman2 deep purple, rainbow, ufo.. aku dah cabut efx, pk direct ke amp je dgn light overdrive phew, br tau best..

Very Happy and tetibe je rindu kat strat aku... ahaha...

tp still a big fan of gilbert's tone, tp shenker punya tone dlm album force it pun, uih.. best.. any idea x doc? particularly dalam lagu mother mary tuh.. i dont think he use distortion tp more to overdrive kan? apart from his flying v, any tips nak emulate sound michael shenker?

Tangan aku masih sakit...sekarang, tempat yg sakit dulu dah baik, tiba2 ada sakit baru kat tempat lain pula...damn… Org dah tua la... Smile

The secret to getting the Schenker sound is to use humbuckers with a wah pedal left on with the frequency peak somewhere around 800-1000 Hz (or just find the sweet spot by playing around with it and leaving it where it sounds the closest). Michael Schenker does not 'play' with the wah pedal...he just leaves it on at one setting to get that tone.

You may have noticed that whenever I advice about getting a specific player's tone, I dont say get a Flying V and plug it into a Crybaby into a JCM 800 like that guitar hero. See, if we're that rich, we wont be hanging out in i-bands in the first place!Lol! Laughing The important point that I would like to make is you can get pretty close to the tone by using your existing equipment...and cheap affordable equipment. In fact, nobody would sound like Michael Schenker even if they play through his rig in the first place.

When playing sessions, I bring at least 2 guitars, equipped with humbuckers and single coils and my programmable pre-amp, with my own programs of about 60 of the most popular guitar tones from the 1950's until today(and another 60 duplicated for use through the speaker simulator, which have to have different eq curves because the simulated speaker doesn't sound the same as my amp's speakers). A lot of sessionists have to nail all these different tones with the minimal amount of equipment and time.

For instance, to get the Yngwie tone,, it's easy to say to just get the YJM strat and plug it into a DOD and into a Plexi…but not that many people has that kind of money. I managed to get close to the Yngwie tone (close to his tone he got live on the Budokan video) by using a Peavey Predator 3 single coil model(the cheapest guitar in the Peavey range…for beginners) through my Peavey pre-amp(on my own ‘Marshall’ program) and into my Laney 50. Another totally different way for me to get that tone again is by using a Fender strat through the Amplitube plug in( I cant remember the exact setting). And…another way of getting it with my Ibanez Roadstar single coil strat is to plug it into Guitar Rig 2, through the DS-1 without distortion but with the bass rolled off(because my Roadstar is bottom heavy…not like a strat) and the volume high-ish…through a Sans-amp simulator at the British setting, through a plexi/bassman simulator, then through an 80’s 4x12 speakers, miked with a shure 57/58 right at the speaker cone. The guitar Rig 2 simulations doesn’t sound like the real thing of course…but what I love about it is the flexibility(just like my hardware Peavey pre-amp), which allows you to shape the tone with an infinite amount of possibilities. If you use the Guitar Rig 2 to produce a DOD simulation through a Marshall Plexi simulation, you wont get anything near to Yngwie’s tone…(actually it does sound kinda crap)…but if you use your ears and explore each module one at a time, you will learn how to shape the tone to your liking.

My point is…in the Guitar Rig2 or whatever you use…the DS-1 may not sound like a DS-1…but you may have to use other modules and tweak it around a bit to get that DS-1 tone. As for me, I use the DS-1 module there to make my roadster sound like a strat. I don’t need a volume booster like the DOD to crank the gain, because the Sansamp pre-amp simulator has more than enough gain then I need.

You gotta think outside the box in order to nail your dream tone without having to break your bank account Smile
aB
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AND... that's not all of course. Twisted Evil
with only 250 sterling pounds in 1989, I took the shortest cut & "cheapest" (masa tu 1 pound = RM3.9 je) option possible to nail that malmsteen, van halen, landau, vai, jimi sounds. by a single press of a button(and a wink & a smile of course) , "download bode's peavey preamp soundbank" into mine. Viola!!

i s'pose this goes to any sound (be it keyboard/synth too) you want to try duplicate... equipped with decent gears (often not necessarily means mega-expensive), you CAN emulate almost anything... if you have a flexible fx porcessor, then your ears & creativity is the limit. i remember Suflan (a jazz pianist/keyboardist who plays with michael veerpan & co) commenting our earlier (80's) stuff "where did u guys get that brilliant rhodes sound? u hav a DX7 / SY-77 hiding somewhere in yr room programming that sound???" uh uh... it came from a cheap 100 pounds cincai cincai keyboard + delay pedal + graphic eq + Bode thinking outside d box. Shocked

senang cakap. i have crap ears when trying to distinct MHz, that's why i need help from dear friends Wink

psstt... dude... Guitar Rig 2 .. ehm..
soundfreak22nd
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guys, macam2 dah try untuk mdapatkan sound lead yg kaw..

tp tak dapat gak... fuu...

or maybe gadget aku ni yg lo class.. hihi..
yusof
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, saya guna ibanez gio dengan combination GUITAR PORT dari Line 6. SO far saya puas hati dengan sound yang boleh dihasilkan.

Sound "lead" ikut taste masing-masing. TWEAK and tweak sampai puas hati dalam MIX sesebuah lagu.banyak sound setting secara kebetulan. saya rasa ramai guitar hero pun mempunyai GUITAR TECH yang tersendiri untuk bantu mencari sound yang sesuai.

Susah jugak nak cari sound yang lazat dan enak sekali macam, Toast bread with kaya and butter!ehhh...sedapnya!hmmm mana nak cari KAYA kat Cina ni!AIYA!
fReqZz
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

setuju.. mix n blend.. experiment a lot.. kdg2, suggestion org sedap kat telinga org tp x best kat telinga sendiri.. dont be afraid to try any mixture of the efx.. contohnye ko nak campur dist + flanger + echo... aper2 la...

just experiment... Very Happy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

basically a humbucker+a good dist+good delay.Add compressor in front or EQ for flavour if needed.What i mean good doesnt necesarry be an expensive boutique effects but like others stated,its in ur ears.Experiment to dial in a balanced sound thats pleasing to u.Sound is subjective,IMO better to create ur own tone than to 'copy' others.
ETERNAL
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

city lights wrote:
basically a humbucker+a good dist+good delay.Add compressor in front or EQ for flavour if needed.What i mean good doesnt necesarry be an expensive boutique effects but like others stated,its in ur ears.Experiment to dial in a balanced sound thats pleasing to u.Sound is subjective,IMO better to create ur own tone than to 'copy' others.

before you can make ur own sound...
you have to 'copy' first... as in make a reference...
from there you could recognize what type of sound does you like (fat, thin, big, digital, raw, fuzzy, light)...
then ur make experiments and experiments...
by time u will get the sounds that you like
eniQma
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Korek

dah berusia 4tahun thread nih..but still informatif...

kenapa la aku xde intenet 4 tahun dulu ahahaha

If METALLICA Kill em' ALL
Facebook kill I-bands.net... true story
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Jump to: