back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

AMPS! Help!! « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
homestar
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: AMPS! Help!! Reply with quote

Okay, this may sound a bit too stupid, but eh, I need some help with amps? I mean, I can tell through sound, which one I like and all but in terms of the overall packaging and features, how do I know which are reputable amps and which are feeding off their original brand name? There are tonnes of amps there but eh, I'm lost at sea. I think Marshall Amps looks really good but man, I'm so not the amp person. Heh, help help...
Bode
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Choice of amps depends on personal taste.
Whose guitar sounds do you like? Then that could give everyone here a clue to what type of amps may appeal to you Smile
Dufresne
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, Bode made a few good points, esp when choosing an amp....

Also a good point, is to decide what the amp is for, say for gigging or practicing at home levels. That itself will determine the packaging, & most of the time the features. Smaller amps tend to have limited features, & vice versa. But there r also some exception; Roland Cube 30 & VOX AD30VT r two small amps that comes with lots of features, which makes them the best selling amps in their respective series. Also, they're available here...

Features that u need to consider r something like channels. If u dont have a dist box/stompbox, do u need a overdrive/dist channel on ur amp? If u like fx, do u want it available on the amp? If u like reverb, do u want it on the amp? Stuff like these varies btw amps...

Say u want an amp that can be use for gigs & also home practice. Personally i think a 50 watt will be good enuff (i run a 100 watt tube stack at home, nvr got any complaints yet, but thats just me... Razz ), regardless of the size. U can still get good tone at bedroom levels & be loud enuff at gigs. Also, a 50 watt combo will not be that big & heavy....

Do a bit of homework before going out to try any amps. Learn a bit about eq-ing, how to get a good od/dist sound, how does a reverb sound like, etc. If the sales people r hovering over u while u're trying out an amp, ask them to help out, they're not there just to stand around...

Cheers... Cool

My Rig
MiN
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doesnt matter what amp you use as long as you get the sound you want.

my personal taste would be Marshall amps.

like Dufresne explained you can use either a 50w or 100w it all depends on the sound you want and can get from it. you may want to use a smaller amp say 15w for bedroom praktis but i've seen people gigging in front of a few thousand people using 15w marshall amp and just miking it.

therefore i suggest you buy the amp that suits you most. try all the different amps and then choose which one you like best. dont worry if the brand of the amp is not famous....as long as you can get the right sound then buy it.

but most cheap amps may also have alot of problems....but then again its your choice.
okta
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

tak pon beli any amp simulation gear(POD,GT8,VOX,Vamp) get the general idea wat amp sounds like wat(roughly Razz)
Otaizam
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my favourite amp is Peavey.... tapi actually kalau jemming ke function ke aku tak cerewet sangat kalau diorang bagi amp brand lain..... pernah gak pakai marshal, roland and fender.... bagi aku asalkan faham konsep volume, bass, midm treble dan reverb dah kira okay la tu.. then adjust le sesedap rasa.....

By the way... setiap brand dan model bagi aku ada ada character dia sendiri, thats y orang prefer certain amp as their faburit... err.... sorry i mean favourite. and its happen to me even though aku kata aku tak cerewet...

puncanya... aku jem kat studio member aku ni since awal tahun ni... dia guna amp brand REBEL.... dari dulu sampai sekarang aku tak dapat sound yang aku nak, puas la berexperiment... tak jugak dapat....

So, aku terpikir nak bawak gi studio amp peavey decade aku yang 15 watt , jadikan peavey amp aku as preamp, cucuk kat effect return punya jack. Meaning aku cuma guna Speaker, volume dan reverb amp REBEL studio tu punya.... setup bass, mid and treble guna amp peavey aku....

looks weird la kan... but i got my sound... cuma nak memasang satu hal... nak mengemas satu hal.. nak mengusung pun satu hal... dah la studio member aku tu tingkat 3...... But mamat jemming yang melepak kat luar pelik tengok aku sebab bawak masuk studio amp kecik.....
mrmerell
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some told me better start with tube amps. Known for best sound clarity

Then apply some stomboxes. Higest priority the drive first (distortion) .. then ambience (delays) ... then modulations . (phasers , flangers ..)
Also use good guitars.

Expensive hobby ahh? Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
homestar
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips, guys. What about home use? Roland's Micro-Cube? or any other amps within the similar capacity? Hmm...
ammirhafzan
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi homestar, for homeuse, i think 30wt -15wt is a good choice. In fact, 30wt is loud enough to make your neighbour screaming. Roland Micro Cube? i think cube 30 is ok for a beginner/practise. I myself use Fender frontman 30 wt for my practise at my apartment. But if you're looking for better purchase, can be use for gigs , i suggest go for 50-100wt. I personally have used marshall AVT 2000 50wt, Randall 100SG, Line6 SpiderII 210 & Peavey Shefield Amp. In terms of overall satisfaction, i choose marshall & i used it with Line 6 POD XT live. for Metal sounds, Heavy low Anthrax style - RAndall is good, Line6 Amp for the recording line out & some metal sound & for this old peavey, i love to play Malay style rock kapak sound...
Misc --> Ritter guitar bag, Gator soft case for mfx
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
homestar
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.. Really appreciate it.
mrmerell
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try to seek any amps (at least good) that has features such as
1) Drive button
2) Effects Loop
3) Reverb

Usually its more practical (its just me!)

why :
1. U can play bypass & distotion with a button/footswitch
2. U can pu modulations (phasers , flangers , delays) on effect loop
3. Reverb can make the sound more alive. Cause i see reverb stompbox costing rm500 above..

anyway , i sense the drive/distortion inside amps are better than stompboxes. i dunno why ... for some reason , some of the drives got weak gains , so it can be enhanced by applying a equalizer to tweak it.

anyway ... do invest with a good amp. i was a stompbox freak.. and currently still do. but in my opinion , the final sound would be the amp. Maybe a small amp for room would be under 30W. Currently i use 50W in my room ... i just use level 2. Sad
My amp is Marshall g50rcd.

And do read some review from www.harmonycentral.com .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
khairold
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the 'cheap' option to experiment with effects and amps is by using a multi effects/amp simulator like pod, gt8, tonelab etc
not only its flexible
its also practical to use in the bed room
and can function as a great tool to understand the basic function & sound characteristic of effects & amps, the art of effect placement, eq'ing etc

when u truly have understood what its all about
and know exactly what u need and what u dont
u can start to embark the expensive journey of tube amps & effects.. hehe
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Jump to: