back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

how a band could join in a gig? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
skyjuicecoffee
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we dont expect fix payment but we always get cash. i think current organizers nowadays appreciate music and willing to pay. godbless!

its a good sign for us and for independent bands. and yeah tang. dont always think about money. go and perform for the love of music.

basically, skyjuicecoffee is not playing music as a fulltime career. we still studying in college. and fortunately we score well in exams. yeay!

-myo
www.myspace.com/skyjuicecoffee
TangKLrb
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

our friend is introducing the jRock kingdom vol 3 in halo,
telling us that there are an audition early sept.
we are interested but we have lack of singer now actually..
we not sure will go into mandarin scene or not..
hmm.. seems we are in the entrance of mandarin scene now..

anyhow, i will keep up to find for other scene,
cos actually only one member in our group is more into mandarin, just "more" into, among us..
then 3 are more into english's style (quite vary), 2 are more into jrock.

for currently, we, majority having mandarin song la..
(just mandarin, cos 4 member of us dunno cantonese one..)

thanks moontress.
TangKLrb
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yoo.. we are not really care of payment lar..
dont misundertood... but we are just fresh graduate, still jobless,,,
cos we no longer having study life,, dont have study load liao..
so everything gotta think good good lar...
we still need to tanggung other thing also,
but sure.. we know that it's the responsibility for our job,
not the interest.

anyway.. nice to meet you here..
we might got chance to meet in next thursday...
see you there..
i'll find chances to listen to your musics first..
totziens
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, there is a high potential that I will pull out from running Giggers. Reasons: personal reasons...I have many reasons. Will still help them a as a friend. So, Tang, you can still reach me.

So far nobody performs in Chinese songs yet. Nobody cares whether u sing in Chinese, Tamil, Spanish, Manglish, etc. To me music is an international language. Giggers does not mind any language. FYI, the acoustic set does not have any drum set there, unless you want to bring along your own bongo.
TangKLrb
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

totziens wrote:
FYI, there is a high potential that I will pull out from running Giggers. Reasons: personal reasons...I have many reasons. Will still help them a as a friend. So, Tang, you can still reach me.

So far nobody performs in Chinese songs yet. Nobody cares whether u sing in Chinese, Tamil, Spanish, Manglish, etc. To me music is an international language. Giggers does not mind any language. FYI, the acoustic set does not have any drum set there, unless you want to bring along your own bongo.

hmm.. i think it's a good place.. actually we dont have a vocalist..
5 of us (except drummer) can sing.. sure not that pro..
we could also just play instrumental without singing too..
and we not necessary will sing mandarin song.. too..
hmmm, no matter which option we choose,
giggers is a good place that can suit us too is it?

one question, open mic is just the accoustic set?
sorry if i am asking silly question, is there any open mic for electric set...
and, what do you have for the accoustic set?...
we dont have bongo, and the bongo that we used to use in university.. is quite old already...
zubira
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

totziens wrote:
Yes, listen to HuntressMoon...she is an excellent adviser...she a regular gig organiser too. Treat her well...you'll get a slot one day...Smile

I agree with Kurt. Utilise the free myspace and don't forget i-bands. Pakcik Ajeep will curse me if I forget to mention i-bands. Post your songs there then post a message in this forum requesting people to review it. This will attract some attention to "Kei Poh Chi" people like HuntressMoon, Grymlock and myself to check them out.

If u r in Klang Valley, Giggers is opened for open-mike soon. I think they should be ready around 26 Aug 2006 after going thru renovation. You may call me to confirm 016-2796783. I am Siang (not Malam)

Oh yes, if you're good I can push your song for radio airplay at Traxx FM too.

Mr Siang...ahaa!!...can tolong push one of my song for Traxx Fm tak? i sent an email to maya few months back..tak dak respond pon..maybe i'm not good enough for her kot...hahha...so boleh tolong ka?
owhhh itu Giggers opening soon...i wld like to join the open-mike session nanti la...after 26 august ya? ok..
HuntressM00n
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

TangKLrb wrote:
our friend is introducing the jRock kingdom vol 3 in halo,
telling us that there are an audition early sept.
we are interested but we have lack of singer now actually..
we not sure will go into mandarin scene or not..
hmm.. seems we are in the entrance of mandarin scene now..

anyhow, i will keep up to find for other scene,
cos actually only one member in our group is more into mandarin, just "more" into, among us..
then 3 are more into english's style (quite vary), 2 are more into jrock.

for currently, we, majority having mandarin song la..
(just mandarin, cos 4 member of us dunno cantonese one..)

thanks moontress.

i spoke to one the pioneers of the Jrock scene, but it seemed that the gig is not confirmed and its uncertain yet
totziens
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zubira wrote:
totziens wrote:
Yes, listen to HuntressMoon...she is an excellent adviser...she a regular gig organiser too. Treat her well...you'll get a slot one day...Smile

I agree with Kurt. Utilise the free myspace and don't forget i-bands. Pakcik Ajeep will curse me if I forget to mention i-bands. Post your songs there then post a message in this forum requesting people to review it. This will attract some attention to "Kei Poh Chi" people like HuntressMoon, Grymlock and myself to check them out.

If u r in Klang Valley, Giggers is opened for open-mike soon. I think they should be ready around 26 Aug 2006 after going thru renovation. You may call me to confirm 016-2796783. I am Siang (not Malam)

Mr Siang...ahaa!!...can tolong push one of my song for Traxx Fm tak? i sent an email to maya few months back..tak dak respond pon..maybe i'm not good enough for her kot...hahha...so boleh tolong ka?
owhhh itu Giggers opening soon...i wld like to join the open-mike session nanti la...after 26 august ya? ok..

Send me the song directly at umbrellarec@gmail.com. If you prefer to pass me the CD, pls call my number stated in the quote to make an appointment. Maya is very busy lately - she doesn't even have time to reply me Smile
totziens
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TangKLrb wrote:
totziens wrote:

hmm.. i think it's a good place.. actually we dont have a vocalist..
5 of us (except drummer) can sing.. sure not that pro..
we could also just play instrumental without singing too..
and we not necessary will sing mandarin song.. too..
hmmm, no matter which option we choose,
giggers is a good place that can suit us too is it?

one question, open mic is just the accoustic set?
sorry if i am asking silly question, is there any open mic for electric set...
and, what do you have for the accoustic set?...
we dont have bongo, and the bongo that we used to use in university.. is quite old already...

Tang, fyi I don't know why Giggers don't want minus-one (instrumental without vocal). I just found out not so long ago regarding this after I announced to the whole world that instrumental is allowed. Actually I don't agree that instrumental band cannot perform there. I have not negotiated with them but if anyone who wants to negotiate, pls go ahead.

Yes, open mic is for acoustic set only. No open mic for electric one. If there is an electric one, imagine what will happen if a grind core band starts playing when someone is enjoying his/her meal (especially if he/she is not into loud music)....hahaha

They have an amp with 2-3 input and several mic I think. U can use classical guitar or any musical instrument that does not require electricity/input to an amp too. Try Milo tin as well...haha
TangKLrb
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HuntressM00n wrote:

i spoke to one the pioneers of the Jrock scene, but it seemed that the gig is not confirmed and its uncertain yet

hmm.. my friend told me that also,
he said it is waiting to be announced..
frankly.. we dunno will go for it or not even if it's confirmed..
cos we have no one singing japanese song...
if got any news.. can tell me ya...? thanks very very much first yo..
TangKLrb
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

totziens wrote:

Tang, fyi I don't know why Giggers don't want minus-one (instrumental without vocal). I just found out not so long ago regarding this after I announced to the whole world that instrumental is allowed. Actually I don't agree that instrumental band cannot perform there. I have not negotiated with them but if anyone who wants to negotiate, pls go ahead.

Yes, open mic is for acoustic set only. No open mic for electric one. If there is an electric one, imagine what will happen if a grind core band starts playing when someone is enjoying his/her meal (especially if he/she is not into loud music)....hahaha

They have an amp with 2-3 input and several mic I think. U can use classical guitar or any musical instrument that does not require electricity/input to an amp too. Try Milo tin as well...haha

remember lastime when i go halo cafe, saw the guys play some rock song but using drum that programmed in keyboard.. make me feel bad cos i lost the feeling to listen "live".. well.. i dunno why.. i also dont like minus one.. but i think i cannot judge the same for open mic.. for open mic.. maybe it's still acceptable, since this two scene are totally different. but not using karaoke cd lar.. but if for me, most probably i will be doing everything live instead of minus one, even just one instrument that i am playing. but that's for my own view lar.. i know there are some other who may need minus one in this stage..
zubira
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

totziens wrote:
zubira wrote:
totziens wrote:

Send me the song directly at umbrellarec@gmail.com. If you prefer to pass me the CD, pls call my number stated in the quote to make an appointment. Maya is very busy lately - she doesn't even have time to reply me Smile

hey thanks Siang..i will send it to u thru the email..will also give u the cd when i'm back in kl nxt week..thanks
totziens
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TangKLrb wrote:
totziens wrote:

remember lastime when i go halo cafe, saw the guys play some rock song but using drum that programmed in keyboard.. make me feel bad cos i lost the feeling to listen "live".. well.. i dunno why.. i also dont like minus one.. but i think i cannot judge the same for open mic.. for open mic.. maybe it's still acceptable, since this two scene are totally different. but not using karaoke cd lar.. but if for me, most probably i will be doing everything live instead of minus one, even just one instrument that i am playing. but that's for my own view lar.. i know there are some other who may need minus one in this stage..

Shoot...I think I got the wrong idea about minus one all these years. After reading your comment. I believe minus one is recorded music missing one part of the musical instrument or vocal...very similar to "karaoke". Am I right?

I mistaken minus one as live music without vocal meaning u may have a drummer, guitarist, bassist, etc without vocalist. In other word, instrumental.

What a moron am I!!! Thanks for making me realise.

If that's the case I agree that minus one sucks for any live performance unless you're doing electro-pop or those kind of music...but still it's better to have real bands accompanying the music.

Sorry, I am a music illiterate person who loves music. Embarassed
TangKLrb
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

totziens wrote:

Shoot...I think I got the wrong idea about minus one all these years. After reading your comment. I believe minus one is recorded music missing one part of the musical instrument or vocal...very similar to "karaoke". Am I right?

I mistaken minus one as live music without vocal meaning u may have a drummer, guitarist, bassist, etc without vocalist. In other word, instrumental.

What a moron am I!!! Thanks for making me realise.

If that's the case I agree that minus one sucks for any live performance unless you're doing electro-pop or those kind of music...but still it's better to have real bands accompanying the music.

Sorry, I am a music illiterate person who loves music. Embarassed

ya ya, you are right.. i also dunno how to define minus one, but i think your defination should be exactly correct.
"minus one is recorded music missing one part of the musical instrument or vocal...very similar to karaoke"

i just went to take a look at old klang road..
i cant see paul's place there.. is that behind osaka is it?
i cant see any cafe opened over there..
is that.. due to renovation and it's not open currently?
totziens
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no sign board or whatever to indicate "Giggers" or "Paul's Place".

The main key location to look out for is Pearl Point International Hotel or Pearl Point Shopping Centre. Once you have found it, go to the opposite side of the road to Pearl Point. There you can see a Toyota show room. Go behind the Toyota show room, there is a row of shop lot (opposite a college - Institute of Technology XXXXX??? I cannot remember the name).

If Giggers or Paul's Place is opening, you should be able to see a cafe opening at the ground floor. Otherwise, it means it's closed. During office hour, it will be closed I believe (they plan to run the cafe during lunch hour but I am not sure when it will come true). If you don't see any cafe opened but you can hear someone playing musical instrument, wait for a moment and look out for anyone who wears white or black t-shirt or anyone with piercing or weird hairdo...then ask him/her for direction - I am sure you'll approach the right person Smile

Jump to: