back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Bass DI/Amp? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
okta
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Bass DI/Amp? Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

What you guys use?
Amp or DI?

I'm looking for cheap option. VTone BDI21 Smile
Anyone tried it before?
Raggy
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Bass DI/Amp? Reply with quote

okta wrote:
What you guys use?
Amp or DI?

I'm looking for cheap option. VTone BDI21 Smile
Anyone tried it before?

cheapest option, just plug the bass guitar directly, no need any modelling amp........you can always edit/modify your bass sound in your DAW, yes?

if you have a simple analog amp (solid state also can do,no need valves) and feed it into a speaker that can handle bass, mike the speaker (not close miking, but a bit far ~12-15inches away, on axis) and feed one channel of your recorder's input, then if you are able to split your guitar signal before it reaches the amp use DI for the 2nd signal....mixing the miked and DI signal gives a nice sound, the DI signal can be used to add a tiny bit of modulation effect to give a better overall bass sound.

I would NOT use a modeller for bass guitar recording (actually I would not use a modeller for any recording hehehehehehehe). But seriously, why use a modeller, better a full bass signal, you WILL have to edit the bass in your workstation later anyway, then in mixing you got to edit and compress again, then in mastering edit and compress again....so the DAW is doing a lot of work on the bass, screw the fake modellers.

I can give you another tip I discovered after a few hundred hours of trying to record bass guitar.......experiment with playing with fingers, thumb, tapping, AND picks of various thicknesses......you'll be surprised at the range of tones a cheap bass guitar can produce.
okta
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

thanks man...

i thought of getting a cheap DI.I could get a good tone using a Klark teknik DI from my work place, but i don't want to borrow everytime Smile

Plugin in to my Mixer just sucks eventho it has input for instruments.(high impedance) it just sound dull. So since i decided to get a DI, I thought i would look around for options.
Plugin in thru the POD doesn't sound so good. i've compare with the Klark teknik DI(maybe that DI is just that good, for me at least)

The modelling part is just an extra Smile ( the last time I check it's 2006 now Razz)

kidding bro.
Raggy
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2006 already? wow, how time flies Smile

The Klark teknik is actually a high-end DI, no wonder it sounds good! What mixer are you using? some mixers can take a bass guitar well, got to experiment between hi-z and low-z settings and adjust the gain and db pad.

if u buy a DI, better buy a good one! cheap DI will sound cheap, just a sterile step-down transformer which cuts off important frequencies.....got to check the specs of the DI and note if passive DI then what metals are used in the transformer....if active DI then the quality of the electronics becomes very important, cheap electronics=cheap sound.

maybe you'r better off just if u keep on borrowing the Klark Teknik DI Smile

u doing your own album project too? previews pls!
okta
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

It's an old Crate mixer.(i know cannot compare to stuff like Klark teknik:))
I know la it's high end, that's why I takut when I borrow I rosakan siapa mau bayar? Smile

Not doing my own album, not power like you yet bro. Just messing around with recordings at home.

How's the progress on your album?
Raggy
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crate mixer? you should be able to just plug your bass guitar direct into one of the inputs and adjust the gain knob to get a good sound.

Assuming the mixer is what I think it is, you got to plug into a channel (use a mic input setting) and set the fader UP to 0db area, and THEN adjust the gain to give the volume setting you need....you should be able to get a good tone easily. I've used mixers to plug in guitars and basses for many years, including at gigs..no problem, just a matter of tweaking the gain vs channel-volume-fader settings......too low volume and you get a dead sound. Master volume doesnt' affect the tone much.

my songs are in the finishing stage....hope to finish by end-december.

Raggy

Jump to: