back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Greg Howe with Michael Jackson -"Beat It" « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Bode
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Greg Howe with Michael Jackson -"Beat It" Reply with quote

Greg Howe pernah session untuk Michael Jackson dulu...selepas Jennifer Batten dan sebelum Slash tak silap aku.

Anyway, inilah dia salah satu solo Eddie Van Halen yg klasik, dimainkan oleh idola saya...Greg Howe...(playing dia tak lah perfect sangat, sebab ini LIVE, dan mamat tu kena showmanship sekali...maklumlah...gig Michael Jackson kan ...Smile )

http://www.greghowe.com/videocollection/videos.html?bcpid=298687731&bclid=489236134&bctid=483623291

Greg Howe session dgn Justin Timberlake:
http://www.greghowe.com/videocollection/videos.html?bcpid=298687731&bclid=489236134&bctid=483623291

Greg Howe session utk Julio Iglesias:

Greg Howe solo (yg ni dia bebas sikit goreng lebih2)

IZZI
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"THE VIDEO YOU ARE TRYING TO WATCH CANNOT BE VIEWED FROM THIS WEBSITE." .. baru nak layan stim..
poundcake
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bode biler nak turun penang? contact me lah

Last edited by poundcake on Thu May 24, 2007 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total
xaph
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr Bode, Greg Howe is your idol kan? Saya nak tanya, macamana nak appreciate his works, eh? I have quite a number of his albums (e.g. Parallax, Howe About It, and Extraction) and I love them, but I find it difficult to understand his improvising concepts, because he plays fast, and non-stop (asyik tukar key while moving up and down the fretboard)!

Personally, I am a huge fan of Frank Gambale, and I find him a bit more accessible than Greg Howe. (Maybe because Gambale's really rigid with his theory stuff -- and I've seen his tutorial videos and books, and he does play what he teaches.)

So If Dr Bode could point me in the right direction as to how to understand Greg Howe's playing style, it would be much appreciated Smile
Bode
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xaph wrote:
Dr Bode, Greg Howe is your idol kan? Saya nak tanya, macamana nak appreciate his works, eh? I have quite a number of his albums (e.g. Parallax, Howe About It, and Extraction) and I love them, but I find it difficult to understand his improvising concepts, because he plays fast, and non-stop (asyik tukar key while moving up and down the fretboard)!

Personally, I am a huge fan of Frank Gambale, and I find him a bit more accessible than Greg Howe. (Maybe because Gambale's really rigid with his theory stuff -- and I've seen his tutorial videos and books, and he does play what he teaches.)

So If Dr Bode could point me in the right direction as to how to understand Greg Howe's playing style, it would be much appreciated Smile

Bro...to be truly frank I dont understand at all what he is doing...technically yes (and that's because I've got his instructional video) but theoretically I'm all dumbed out Smile But to be honest, I'm still a bigger fan of his heavy rock days before he went fusion, though he is probably more famous after he entered the fusion genre. Sorry to dissappoint you bro... Smile
Bode
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poundcake wrote:
bode biler nak turun penang? my newc ontact 017-4009921

Alrite bro...aku pun tak tahu bila boleh turun...tapi kalau yer kita kena hangout punyer!
Bode
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the video links not working...tapi kalau search kat youtube..banyak video dia ada...the justin timberlake dgn Michael jackson ones are there.
gapster
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i agree

most fusion players tend to legato , slide , smooth style..

but this mofo howe plays fusion with alternate picking , pulls and bends and stuffs and it still sounds damn fusion !

xaph
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gapster wrote:
yeah i agree

most fusion players tend to legato , slide , smooth style..

but this mofo howe plays fusion with alternate picking , pulls and bends and stuffs and it still sounds damn fusion !

Yep, this part I can attest to!

One of the things which I like the most about Howe is the way he incorporates the intensity of rock music into his playing style. I mean, John Scofield can play mean mind-boggling jazz with rock-ish elements, but in my humble opinion, he does not seem to have the ferocity Howe has while the latter flies across the fretboard.

A different musical background does account for something Smile
gapster
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

been studying greg howe this morning

If you actually try learning his songs..

you will realized alot of his songs change keys like every 10-20 seconds?

If the backing didn't change key , then it would be his melody selection that change the "mode"

so my opinion is , complex key translation . you can actually achieve the.."wtf..how did he play to sound like that" music

Jump to: